Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That Bloke in midfield for The Toon

2»

Comments

• Options
    i normally don't partake in the boo'ing jeering or slagging off of ex players as it always haunts us, a la defoe. however, after we were 1 up, the frustration was clearly getting to him, and then i found it hilarious. that time it paid off to give him stick, but its a dodgy one in case it backfires and the joke is on us.
  • Options
    and i thought i was over it all and would forgive him, but yesterday seeing him, made me feel very bitter and i think i will always be midly angry about what he did to us as a team.
    we would have waved him off politely had he stuck it out for 4 months.
    which is exactly what will happen to bent.
  • Options
    funny
    felt absolutely nothing toward him yesterday
    which, if anyone knows me, is very very surprising
    i vented my spleen on his first visit back, it seemed to do the job

but i did ask him what the score was at the end

surprised he didn't reply ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PalaceHater[/cite]Didnt seem to lift him today did it Steve ? What I will say about the money grabber is he seemed very reluctant to play his normal passing play, seemed to hog it at times and do everything himself. May have created a few more chances if he had looked around more rather than his head down belting towards goal. Although saying that instead of fizzing a shot after one run he passed it and it was a waste !

Good point.

One school of thought is that the booing is motivational, but I would contend that a very important aspect of athletic performance is single minded focus on the task in hand. If he is standing there thinking about the crowd rather than the game then that is a good thing, no matter what he is thinking!
  • Options
    I still think he is suffering from his illness. He does look out of sorts, anyone else agree?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I still think he is suffering from his illness. He does look out of sorts, anyone else agree?

Yes as I said earlier. Very subdued dude.
  • Options
    agreed MCS. he looked shattered after about an hour.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    As a past sufferer of Glandular Fever I concur wholeheartedly. It is an absolute nightmare - I had it - or something very like it - two years ago and am still nowhere near over it. I'd imagine as a player who is renowned for his box-to-box play it is absolutely shattering for him.

I didn't give him that much abuse yesterday - thought the way he handled it last year was spot on, so prepared to let bygones be bygones. Like almost everyone else in the ground though, I took some small delights in asking him what the score was...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I still think he is suffering from his illness. He does look out of sorts, anyone else agree?[/quote]

It's a difficult illness to properly recover from, on one of the Newcastle boards the suggestion was that he was still suffering from it but also has a weak midfield around him and poor defense behind him.