Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Baker .. Brushing Up

Comments

• seth plum said:

I always stay with the station when I find him on the wireless. He had a spaceman guest a while ago and it was riveting listening.

Yes, Piers Sellers. That was just about the most fascinating radio interview I've ever heard. Baker was absolutely brilliant at getting the best out of this man.
  • Riviera said:

Why so much bile and hatred by some towards someone that you don't really know. No wonder the world is screwed up.

Absolutely.

I think I know enough of him to make an informed opinion. He's been everywhere for 30 odd years.
    As for my music knowledge Mr Algarve, I think it's as good as anyone's and when did I say that I didn't know the obscure albums he kept producing?
    If anyone has fallen into a trap I'd say you have trying to analyse my personality.
    I think most of us have a pretty good idea of your personality Riv...
  • Riviera said:

Why so much bile and hatred by some towards someone that you don't really know. No wonder the world is screwed up.

Absolutely.

I think I know enough of him to make an informed opinion. He's been everywhere for 30 odd years.
    As for my music knowledge Mr Algarve, I think it's as good as anyone's and when did I say that I didn't know the obscure albums he kept producing?
    If anyone has fallen into a trap I'd say you have trying to analyse my personality.
    Snigger.

• Riviera said:

Absolutely.

Snigger.

No I'm not!
  • Riviera said:

Absolutely.

Split?
  • I've been a big fan of Danny Baker's radio work for a number of years. Met him at a Todd Rundgren gig a couple of years ago (he, like me, is a big 'Toddhead') and he was the nicest bloke in the world. Took time to have a chat, shook my hand.

I realise I'm not adding a hell of a lot to this thread.
  • Catch him occasionally on the radio and he's alright. Wouldn't go out of my way to listen to him but he can be quite insightful at times. On the accent thing, I think it's actually quite nice to hear a South East London accent on tv or radio and it not be a footballer or a criminal.
  • some times overdoes his theosaurean verbosity on the radio ...a bit like leonard sachs from "the gold old days" but i am an admirer ,cant help but relate to him ,same age same background and same interests other than the obvious ..

id give the chap his credit a darned good presenter
  • I really enjoy his radio shows. However I wish he'd start toning down the carnivale music in the background, when he wanted to create his music hall atmosphere. Whilst that grates, the novel and amusing features that they come up with such as Neville Southall reading Fifty Shades of Grey nearly always hit the comedy spot.
  • Riviera said:

Absolutely.

Red sauce?
    Brown sauce?

No sauce at all?
  • Sponsored links:

• Have listened to his shows for years, even download them & listen to them while driving about in Canada - where the radio is absolutely effing terrible. Hope he's around for years to come....
  • He's ok. Much prefer Hawksbee and Jacobs on Talksport though. BBC missed a trick not signing them up before.
  • He's good

Anyone remember the 6 o'clock show (I think) that was on LWT early Friday evenings back in the 80s? Probably his big breakthrough, and also the breakthrough for Janet Street Porter...
  • I have read his autobiography " going to sea in a seive" - very funny and brilliant portrayal of growing up in south London in the sixties and Seventies.
  • Well read, knowledgeable, insightful and a very good broadcaster who does not take himself seriously.
  • Presents football on radio in a way that no other presenter has ever understood. Think he,s the tops, love his sense of humour and quick wit. Top man.
  • Baker is a radio legend. He's irritated people when in front of the camera, it's true, but his Saturday morning show on five live is so inoffensive I find it very odd that people could dislike him, but as Henry said, that's why he's not mainstream. I think he's great.
  • Just catching up on Brushing Up, if the bit about the record pressing plant in Hayes did not make you at least smile, there's no hope for you. Laugh out loud stuff.
  • Not a massive fan but do like and appreciate his presenting.

Like or loathe his shows or him as a 'character' those who doubt his skills at presenting and constructing a radio show are wrong. There aren't that many better broadcasters out there.

Apart from Toby Anstis who is just so happy.
  • Well read, knowledgeable, insightful and a very good broadcaster who does not take himself seriously.

Believe me, he takes himself very seriously.
    Very generous man, but can be horribly overbearing.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2013

Not a massive fan but do like and appreciate his presenting.

Like or loathe his shows or him as a 'character' those who doubt his skills at presenting and constructing a radio show are wrong. There aren't that many better broadcasters out there.

No, you're wrong. You cannot speak for the world although you're not the only one on here who thinks they can!
  • Not a massive fan but do like and appreciate his presenting.

Spot on.
  • edited May 2013
    who's Toby
  • Can't see this mentioned in this thread, so for those who miss them as a duo...BT Sport have signed up the Dannys (Baker and Kelly) for a weekly show, throughout the 2013-14 season...

"Well-loved football broadcasters Baker and Kelly are reuniting to front a lively football show for BT Sport.

“Baker and Kelly’s Vaguely Sporting Phone-Out” is a new live interactive football show that will run on Friday evenings for 40 weeks throughout the 2013-2014 season on BT Sport. The first show will air on August 16, the day before the Barclays Premier League season kicks off.

The two Dannys have worked together on football shows for various radio stations over the past 20 years, most famously for BBC Radio 5live.

The new show is a weekly hour of original unpredictable, football-themed entertainment with audience participation on phones, texts, email and social media. It will come live from the BT Sport studios in the Queen Elizabeth Park in Stratford."

• Riviera said:

Not a massive fan but do like and appreciate his presenting.

No, you're wrong. You cannot speak for the world although you're not the only one on here who thinks they can!
    East Stand is spot on, and is not "speaking for the world", merely pointing out that Baker has talent but that some don't recognise it. You don't have to like the man or his "act" to recognise his skill, or at least acknowledge that others have recognised it.

It is you that tries to "speak for the world" and in the same post allude to being some sort of mind reader, as if you know what everyone's thinking. Not your cup of tea - fair enough. Not talented - ridiculous.
  • TelMc32 said:

Can't see this mentioned in this thread, so for those who miss them as a duo...BT Sport have signed up the Dannys (Baker and Kelly) for a weekly show, throughout the 2013-14 season...

"Well-loved football broadcasters Baker and Kelly are reuniting to front a lively football show for BT Sport.

“Baker and Kelly’s Vaguely Sporting Phone-Out” is a new live interactive football show that will run on Friday evenings for 40 weeks throughout the 2013-2014 season on BT Sport. The first show will air on August 16, the day before the Barclays Premier League season kicks off.

The two Dannys have worked together on football shows for various radio stations over the past 20 years, most famously for BBC Radio 5live.

The new show is a weekly hour of original unpredictable, football-themed entertainment with audience participation on phones, texts, email and social media. It will come live from the BT Sport studios in the Queen Elizabeth Park in Stratford."

Friday evening seems like a strange slot for this sort of show.
  • Danny Baker is just a brilliant (and award winning!) broadcaster. Being the same age and coming from the same area a lot of what he talks about bring back memories. His autobiography is a cracking read although it only takes you up to his early 20's. His Dad sounds like a real character. His shows are witty, insightful and often some of the facts or bits of knowledge he imparts are really interesting. Dont care if he is a spanner!
  • I've already mentioned I admire Danny Baker's radio shows on this thread. That said, I'm happier Robert Elms survived the cull on BBC London. Cracking show yesterday with Rod Stewart as a guest. Anyone interested in clobber, as I am (yes, I'm a tart), could do worse than read his book The Way We Wore. I'll probably make it sound awful, but it's basically his life through clothes. Very good on Mods (his older brother, who did a stint inside after a mass fight in Tottenham Court Road), original Skinheads (Elms himself), Rod and the Faces, the early jazz-funk scene, punk, etc.
  • Any decent forties or fifties clobber mentioned Hawksmoor... No I thought not. Best I leave it then. LOL
  • edited June 2013
    TelMc32 said:

Can't see this mentioned in this thread, so for those who miss them as a duo...BT Sport have signed up the Dannys (Baker and Kelly) for a weekly show, throughout the 2013-14 season...

Can't wait!

Will he be able to resist retelling yet again his disputeable story considering the date the show starts? I doubt it.