Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Baker .. Brushing Up

Comments

• MrOneLung said:

Danny Baker is one of the best broadcasters this country has. Even if he is an armchair spanner.

Armchair?

Don't think Danny pitches up at The Den every week much like the rest of the 47 million other spanners out there.

Which makes him real 'wall then : - )

He has been very ill recently, remember.
    That's very true Henry. In any case not my prerogative to judge people for exercising their right to attend football matches. I once did a job at his house about twenty years ago. He was a proper gent.

I once sold him a fanzine. A copy of that fanzine recently sold on ebay for £124.
  • You said listen not watch and he's lost a lot of weight recently for well publicised reasons.

Still loving your logic that fat people aren't funny.

I'm both.
  • How can you "hear" a fat bloke? Or have you more likely just pre-judged what you are listening to.

And he's from Deptford so the accent is real.

Not so sure about the accent. So he comes from Deptford, means nothing. I also feel it's put on a bit.
  • Strange that people think he's a good broadcaster - whenever I listen to him i have to force myself to just so I can see what the fuss is about. All I hear is a fat mouthy bloke with a rather affected Sarf Londoner accent.

Only the second time in almost 10 years I've agreed with you BFR.....
  • MrOneLung said:

Danny Baker is one of the best broadcasters this country has. Even if he is an armchair spanner.

Armchair?

Don't think Danny pitches up at The Den every week much like the rest of the 47 million other spanners out there.

He doesn't. Heard him say the other day "In the days when I used to go to Millwall....."
  • Curb_It said:

Cant abide him.

So this.
  • edited May 2013

He just tries too hard, always "look at me honest I'm really funny and I know lots of obscure music facts so I'm definitely really clever too and I'll drop little in jokes that 30 people will get".

Just bore off you fat ugly bald fuck.(No offence to 90% of the posters on here)

And this.

His recent album programme on BBC TV, thought he was so clever with his obscure LP's.
  • I think he's a closet Charlton fan...
  • edited May 2013

Strange that people think he's a good broadcaster - whenever I listen to him i have to force myself to just so I can see what the fuss is about.

I agree. 1st time for everything :-)

There's probably only a few on here that really like him, but as we all know, many have to agree with the 1st post, until they are contradicted, then everyone agrees with the contradictor :-)

Do you agree wibble wibble ?
  • Riviera said:

He just tries too hard, always "look at me honest I'm really funny and I know lots of obscure music facts so I'm definitely really clever too and I'll drop little in jokes that 30 people will get".

And this.

His recent album programme on BBC TV, thought he was so clever with his obscure LP's.
    Obscure? Really? None of the three programmes were about music I really like, but I knew 90% of the albums. Perhaps your musical knowledge lacks, rather than Baker being an elitist?

You have fallen into that trap of making your mind up about something, so everything about it has to be bad - including his accent, apparently...
  • Sponsored links:

• Why so much bile and hatred by some towards someone that you don't really know. No wonder the world is screwed up.
  • Why so much bile and hatred by some towards someone that you don't really know. No wonder the world is screwed up.

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

I think I know enough of him to make an informed opinion. He's been everywhere for 30 odd years.
    As for my music knowledge Mr Algarve, I think it's as good as anyone's and when did I say that I didn't know the obscure albums he kept producing?
    If anyone has fallen into a trap I'd say you have trying to analyse my personality.
  • I love him on the radio. He doesn't take himself too seriously and clearly loves the game and everything about being a fan. I see him every now and again in Sainsbury's at the Tunnel and he will always give you a smile or say "alright." He turned his hand to many things and succeeded at most. Managed career threatening cancer with admirable fortitude. I can't dislike him, even if he supports another club.
  • As if which club someone supports should influence your opinion of them! Why do people keep mentioning it?
  • I love him on the radio. He doesn't take himself too seriously and clearly loves the game and everything about being a fan. I see him every now and again in Sainsbury's at the Tunnel and he will always give you a smile or say "alright." He turned his hand to many things and succeeded at most. Managed career threatening cancer with admirable fortitude. I can't dislike him, even if he supports another club.

Nothing more to say
  • Riviera said:

As if which club someone supports should influence your opinion of them! Why do people keep mentioning it?

In the past he has been very rude about and dismissive of CAFC in public and on the air for god's sake !!. I can forgive him (just about) for this, to others he is the Lord Hawhaw of Millwall FC and only death will expunge his sins.
  • edited May 2013

I love him on the radio. He doesn't take himself too seriously and clearly loves the game and everything about being a fan. I see him every now and again in Sainsbury's at the Tunnel and he will always give you a smile or say "alright." He turned his hand to many things and succeeded at most. Managed career threatening cancer with admirable fortitude. I can't dislike him, even if he supports another club.

Nothing more to say
    Apart from that he's a big headed, rude, arrogant, smart arse.

And no one likes a smart arse.
  • Bought me a bag of chips in Deptford in the mid-80's.
    Whats not to love ?
  • The guy is a genius & I think he is the best radio presenter that I have ever heard. I love him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Won a Sony Gold award last night.
  • Riviera said:

And this.

Obscure? Really? None of the three programmes were about music I really like, but I knew 90% of the albums. Perhaps your musical knowledge lacks, rather than Baker being an elitist?

You have fallen into that trap of making your mind up about something, so everything about it has to be bad - including his accent, apparently...
    I'm with you AA, thought he was very good on that album show. Actually, I've always liked the bloke, even in his Daz days.
  • Danny Baker is the best thing on radio regardless of him being a spanner .

Why so much bile and hatred by some towards someone that you don't really know. No wonder the world is screwed up.

this

Yeah the great Sonys. The most insular, incestuous, self back-slapping award ceremony there is.
    I'd love to know how these are chosen.
  • edited May 2013
  • Cat got your tongue?
  • Yes. And he's going to get that Chirpy bird's tongue also....

Yeah and C4 won a BAFTA for best sports coverage 2012 for the Paralympics.

Say no more.
  • I used to work with his best mate and sat with him, Baker and Bakers dad at the new den for a midweek game against us either 94 or 95. Nice bloke.
  • I always stay with the station when I find him on the wireless. He had a spaceman guest a while ago and it was riveting listening.