Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it just me? Didn't that match really bring a tear to the eye?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Its not the clubs that run it these days its the sponsors and they only want the super teams in the finals---magic of the cup?they dont give a rats arse.
  • Options
    Hopefully our club will sit up and take notice of what this competition can bring.

Thts not a dig, I just want us to go on a cup run and experience something like this.

Agree with nla about going to a final if you get a chance. I went to the Owen final against arsenal at Cardiff and it was a very special atmosphere.
  • Options
    One of the things I really dislike about the modern world is that when things are always the greatest/worst moment of a persons life normally whilst being interviewed on TV. E.g. Xfactor (or similar) "Doing this was the best moment of my life" or At Princess Diana's death "This is the worst moment of my life".
    When Ben Watson was asked that question, and bearing in mind he was out of breath and emotional, he replied "After my children, yes". Summed up a perfect end to a perfect game of football - that and how gracious the Man City fans were in defeat.

• Options
    was it really FA Cup final? Ah well it least I didn't miss The Voice ;-))
  • Options

The Greatest Story Ever Told!
    Well in football terms anyway. And who could argue with it. From non-league to the Premiership, League Cup finalists and now F.A Cup winners with European football in the bag and an impending Charity Shield match with Manchester United in August. Just what else can this club do to annoy the media and keep re-writing history. It's a remarkable story. I was close to tears yesterday at the final whistle with an overwhelming feeling of pride, joy and pumped up to the head with adrenaline. It got me thinking, Whilst going down would be tragic, After the feelings i experienced yesterday and am still getting today it would be just a minor irrelevance in context to what has happened.

Proud, Proud proud Wiganer here. Just seeing all the other clubs on here with all the good wishes is touching. When we first came up and got to the League Cup final the smaller teams in the lower divisions and indeed the 'bigger' ones in our league wanted us to do well because we were the first 'small' club to come to the Premiership and take it by the scruff of the neck. But people have started to dislike us as we have become a bit stale in the league but yesterday we reminded everyone else that we are still an amazing club. The teams in the lower leagues can aspire to us and use us as their benchmark. We showed 1 billion people yesterday that with a ton of passion and a lion in your heart anything is possible.

We are Wigan Athletic, F.A Cup winners, League Cup Finalists, Premiership Battlers, Charity Shield Contestants, Europa League Contenders and 'small' club trend setters.
  • Options

It was great to hear dave bernstein midweek say that from next year the fa cup will be the last game of the domestic season

Just that it will now never be 3pm again

I just looked up 1947. We won the cup and then played 6 more fixtures, though it had been a really bad winter. http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/match/index.html?event=3;season=1946/47;team=266
  • Options
    Chuffed for Wigan, they just need to stay up now and what a season!
  • Options
    Echo what someone said earlier in the thread. If you get the chance to go to a final, even if you have no allegiance to either side then go.
    I have seen Everton beat man utd ( Paul rideout I think scored), and man utd beat Liverpool (cantona). Both were fantastic occasions.
  • Options
    Lucky enough to be there, first ever FA Cup final, i was hoping it would be to see Charlton!! Took the opportunity to go and had a fantastic day. Really enjoyed seeing Wigan win and what it meant to them. Also have to say the City players and supporters were a credit to their club
    Best game i have ever been to as a neutral by far
  • Options
    Decided years ago that I would only go to an FA Cup Final if Charlton got there...already a long wait!

Congrats to Wigan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wigan making their time in the premier truly matter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    As echoed above , if you ever get the chance to go to an Fa cup final then go, even if its not Charlton playing,I got the chance to be a steward at the 1990 Fa Cup Final, 3-3 between Man United and Palace, also was a steward at the replay ( which they had in those days) which Man U won 1-0 , I was stewarding in front of the Palace fans and have never felt happier seeing a team lose at Wembley, it was also Fergies 1st trophy at United , so felt quite historic.

Got paid a fiver for stewarding each match , would have done it for free , can you imagine getting paid to see Palace lose at Wembley.... Fantastic!!
  • Options
    Great to see the underdogs win, and city being so gracious in defeat. Still love the FA cup, and all the usual (whining) suspects on here will not change that. Nothing wrong with cynicism, but do yourselves a favour, get just a little bit of joy in your soul before it's too late.
  • Options

Great to see the underdogs win, and city being so gracious in defeat. Still love the FA cup, and all the usual (whining) suspects on here will not change that. Nothing wrong with cynicism, but do yourselves a favour, get just a little bit of joy in your soul before it's too late.

If ever a sentence warranted its own thread your last sentence does.

• Options

Decided years ago that I would only go to an FA Cup Final if Charlton got there...already a long wait!

Congrats to Wigan.

Sadly I've never had to make that decision :-(