Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it just me? Didn't that match really bring a tear to the eye?

I get sick to death of all this 'FA Cup losing its magic' bollocks.

That match was pure magic to me. Congratulations to Wigan. They may get relegated but they've created a bit of history today. It is a day that they will always be able to look back on. The fact that Wigan are FA Cup Winners will always be an honour in the football record books. It doesn't matter if they get relegated. The honour will always remain.

You can avoid rlegation as many times as you want but where is the real achievement in that?

In Wigan's place I would choose to win the Cup Final over avoiding relegation. I'm not saying that due to watching today's match; I've always thought it. It is a point that I remember discussing with my (biggest) brother and disagreeing on.

We were in The Premier League for seven years but what did we really achieve? Nothing. No trophy, no honours.

Wigan today allow us to dream for our moment of glory, and I thank them for that. I feel so happy for them. They've made my day.

To all you 'FA Cup downers': Please shut up and see the evidence of the magic of the FA Cup today.

Comments

• Options
    So so pleased for Wigan. They won because they wanted to win the FA Cup. The Man City players went through the motions. I really want a Champions League place for the winners and the match played on a day when no other football takes place. The FA Cup is special. I just wished Charlton believed that too.
  • Options
    You're right about today's match of course, and probably right about choosing FA cup glory ahead of avoiding relegation.
    But the fact remains that the cup is being shoved aside by the premier league. It's been true for years, but if a terrific final can't stop the rot, it at least may slow the demise. And for that we should be grateful to Wigan today.
  • Options
    100% agree. Well done Wigan.
  • Options
    really pleased. Always ( well nearly always) nice to see underdogs win. also nice to prove nice guys can win - Whelan and Martinez. Bit of a shame it was against the decent club of the rich trio but cant have everything.

A day for the fans and long live the fa cup - I would chose winning the cup rather than staying up for sure
  • Options
    I've switched from one thread to the other - started off not giving two hoots to being so pleased and applauding the screen (does anyone else do that?) when Wigan won the thing! Brilliant occasion, and couldn't help thinking that if they can do it...
  • Options
    Had me up punching the air when Watson put that in. Really hope we play a full strength team in the FA cup 3rd round next year.
  • Options
    Best thing is they gave it a good go and fully deserved to win!

There was no fear or actually lads we've got a vital game on Tuesday so lets not try too hard type thinking....
  • Options
    In my local everyone was supporting Wigan.The noise was unbelievable and it turned into a special occasion when team spirit overcame money.

Well done Wigan thats what footballs all about.
  • Options
    Long time since a goal not involving Charlton got me celebrating like that one did today. Well done Wigan.....the magic lives on
  • Options
    Got Wigan at 10/1 this morning for a crafty £100. Stupid odds really for 2 Prem clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're right about today's match of course, and probably right about choosing FA cup glory ahead of avoiding relegation.
    But the fact remains that the cup is being shoved aside by the premier league. It's been true for years, but if a terrific final can't stop the rot, it at least may slow the demise. And for that we should be grateful to Wigan today.

Well, it's nice to have inspired some 'pro-FA Cup comments'. I'm glad to see that I am, after all, not the only one who was moved by today's Wigan victory.

The point that no-one dares to entertain is that the 'losing its magic' theory is perhaps beneficial to the top Premier League clubs. May I candidly suggest that they even perpetrate this idea to their ends? They know that finishing 4th brings more money. They would rather their supporters care more about finishing 4th than winning the FA Cup. They only care about finances whereas a true football fan wants glory.

The FA Cup is beauty in itself . I only get to see her once a year and when she appeared at Wembley today I felt pleased to see her again. She is most surely the most beautiful piece of silverware ever created . Just look at those curves; like a beautiful sexy woman. Forget the word 'magic'. I'm sick to death of all this 'magic' crap. Just look at that cup. The first football cup competition in the world. A part of English heritage. I said to my 5 year old son: 'look at that cup - isn't she beautiful.' He, with a look of innocence replied 'yes.' I love the FA Cup.

Lastly, I shall use an analogy. Think of the FA Cup like you would a loved friend or relative that you've known since childhood. I first watched the FA Cup Final in 1977. I remember running out into the garden on a sunny afternoon after the match a kicking my football imagining that I was playing at Wembley. I haven't missed an FA Cup Final since. A friend may move home, change his job, or change his appearance. He or she's personality may change a little. But he / she would still be your friend, no? So what if the semi-finals are played at Wembley or if the Final is played at 5pm intead of 3pm. These are minor details. In fact the latter is due to TV and if it wasn't for TV how would I have been able to watch 3-4 decades of FA Cup Finals. She may have changed a little, but the competition is still the FA Cup, we still have that gorgeous curvy piece of silverware, and most of all there is the glory, the pure glory of it all to dream of. Anyone who poo poos it does not understand the true reason for competing in the first place.
  • Options
    Jimmy

I have never really understood the appeal of just going to a game

But if anyone ever gets the chance to go to an fa cup final to see a game regardless of ckub aligances then they must do it

All the way to wembley today i was chatting with my son and we were both in agreement the best result would be a wigan win just to show the big guys that sometimes little guys win

I went to an fa cup 1st rd game with him this season and the way this year has panned out i was fortunate enough to see it culminate in todays fantastic game

I wouldve gone today if the offer was only the match tickets

But to get full corp as well meant that from 2 pm until the final whistle the fa cup had the real x factor not the shite simon cowell serves
    Up normally on a sat

It was great to hear dave bernstein midweek say that from next year the fa cup will be the last game of the domestic season

Just that it will now never be 3pm again

Hats off the club wembley they do lay it all on well from the tour around to the grub from the entertainment in the bar areas

But mainly today football won as wigan played great football

Have always respected dave whelan

His response to wigan winning was that the fans who have had it hard supporting wigan in terms of the banter at school and in pubs with wigan who

Have now just won the fa cup without bankrupting the club

And i have a lot of respect for that

Martinez is a great mgr with real football beliefs and from now on will have a soft spot for me where their results are concerned
  • Options
    I've only ever been to one FA Cup Final - that was in 1976 when Southampton beat Man Utd. It was a wonderful day when the underdog came out on top.

Congratulations to Wigan, they really deserved that win and brought back the magic of the FA Cup.
  • Options
    There are matches every football fan should try to tick off and when you support a smaller club you may never get the chance so if you can ever get a ticket and go just to enjoy the spectacle and soak up the atmosphere in a stress free manor then do because when the ball hit the net for wigan i was as happy as i can remember but without celebrating like i would if it was us

But i cheered jumped up and applauded as did my son and several hundred other neutrals

The only downside of the day was some pissed up brummie blue who let himself and his colleagues down from what ever company he was with who had to be removed due to his ability to offend man woman and child and act like a smallwill clown looking in the mirror

I had to becareful because although i dont work for coke anymore they gave me the day but i told him that one more aggresive outburst infront of my son would mean one of us wouldnt see the end of the game

Luckily enough his boss was sitting alongside him and took him away and returned alone with a bag of malteasers that the clown had knocked from joes hand
  • Options
    We don't even get near it jimmy no semi finals not Europe no league cups we are unique in that we were in premier that long and done zilch
  • Options
    nolly said:

We don't even get near it jimmy no semi finals not Europe no league cups we are unique in that we were in premier that long and done zilch

Not a single semi-final in my lifetime (not counting the Full Members' Cup). It is quite shocking. We are the only club of the 4 in South London not to have done this. The other 3 have even been to the final - 4 finals between them - and one victory. If you get to the Premier League then you get better players in order to do what? Surely to try and win something not just sit in mid table and back-slap each other for avoiding relegation.

• Options
    After our last outing at wembley I think we should be given free byes all the way to the final! ;-)
  • Options
    I jumped out of my chair when the Wigan goal went in.

Then I stopped myself for two seconds and thought "why couldn't that be us?" and thoughts of a Kermorgant header off a Jackson corner ran through my mind haha... I know it's more than unlikely with our current Championship crop but imagine that, imagine how incredible it would be to be there in the stadium, to see Charlton lift the FA Cup. Thousands of our fans in total ecstasy.

We have to start taking this cup seriously. I really hope it happens one day soon, our supporters have put up with enough cup rubbish over the years.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's late and I've just come in from an evening with friends - and didn't care or know Wigan had won the Cup, until I logged on to CL just now.

Reading the comments on here, it seems Wigan really wanted it. I confess that makes me really pleased for them, the underdog triumphing, David vs Goliath.

Now that truly is the magic of the Cup.

• Options
    I'm pleased for Wigan but I'm afraid the F.A cup has been totally destroyed by the people who run it and an underdog winning the final is not going to change that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately Jimmy, whilst I agree about the magic of the FA Cup, today, football = money. Relegation will cost Wigan dearly but today (yday now), they can be proud of themselves.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    Its there if you want to see it

If you think its gone go find it go to a first rd tie at your local club you really feel it there
  • Options

I get sick to death of all this 'FA Cup losing its magic' bollocks.

That match was pure magic to me. Congratulations to Wigan. They may get relegated but they've created a bit of history today. It is a day that they will always be able to look back on. The fact that Wigan are FA Cup Winners will always be an honour in the football record books. It doesn't matter if they get relegated. The honour will always remain.

You can avoid rlegation as many times as you want but where is the real achievement in that?

In Wigan's place I would choose to win the Cup Final over avoiding relegation. I'm not saying that due to watching today's match; I've always thought it. It is a point that I remember discussing with my (biggest) brother and disagreeing on.

We were in The Premier League for seven years but what did we really achieve? Nothing. No trophy, no honours.

Wigan today allow us to dream for our moment of glory, and I thank them for that. I feel so happy for them. They've made my day.

To all you 'FA Cup downers': Please shut up and see the evidence of the magic of the FA Cup today.

Brilliant post, agree 100%

A mate of my housemate was round today and asked if I was a Wigan fan after I screamed the word "YES!" at the tv and kicked my pint over.

• Options
    Absolutely brilliant for Wigan, the FA Cup and football in general.
    Simply a great competition and one that every club should treasure. Our turn next year!
  • Options
    Have to admit I totally forgot it was on, forgiveable I guess from thousands of kms away on a absolutely scorching summer's day - i went to the 1983 FA Cup Final - a day i will never forget.....

Well done Wigan..
  • Options
    Glad they won - yes.
    She'd a tear? Not a chance, two teams and neither of them were charlton.
  • Options
    Agree with all the sentiments in this thread. Was great to see Wigan win it having taken the game to Man City and played really good football.

So they might end up playing away at Doncaster next season, they'll also be playing in the Charity Shield and in Europe and will forever be FA Cup Winners.

It saddens me the way the FA have allowed the FA Cup to slip down the agenda and I'm glad to hear it'll go back to be being a stand alone season finale. It'd be great if teams were forced to field a stronger sides and it was given a Champions League qualifying spot (I think UEFA might resist this) or at least a larger prize money pot.

It's still special to plenty of fans though. Love that GIF of the old timer's reaction at the end - says it all, there's no way he'll ever react like that to avoiding relegation.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Excellent thread that I expect is replicated today at every club outside of the biggest 5 or 6.

I really hope the powers that be sit up and take note and yes, that includes every manager of every club too.
  • Options
    Well said, Jimmy! Totally agree with your comments. I shed a tear in the build up when they focused on Dave Whelan and all he has done for Wigan. Few people like him still exist in football, especially with their own money and passion for the club he has rebuilt. To see how much it meant to him, Martinez, the players and fans was emotional and tears were shed again.
    Long live the FA Cup and may it assume its right and proper place once again: the end of the season and its own Saturday.