Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Fanny on the Hill closed by Bexley Council

God awful place but why closed ?

@plaayer drinks in there need I say anymore!!!!
  • The Crown in Eltham is now boarded up.

I see The White Hart is now a gastro type place serving roasts etc? Anyone tried it? Used to be a hole from memory.

Also Old Post Office been done up, anyone tried it?

I see The White Hart is now a gastro type place serving roasts etc? Anyone tried it? Used to be a hole from memory.

Bit of a Millwall pub when i lived in Eltham.

The Crown in Eltham is now boarded up.

That's a shame, used to like popping in there.
  • Unfortunately it's sad to see so many fallen pubs over the years. I love an old fashioned boozer me. Part of the heritage of this country. Are pub crawls a thing of the past now?

Support your local pub!
  • Wetherspoons do so well because they offer that no frills pub that everyone loves, but at a cheaper price.

In order to survive a pub has to become what Wetherspoons isn't, so play music, serve BBQ food, quizzes etc. The fact is that Wetherspoons do so well for a reason, because they have a good business model.
  • MSE7 said:

Unfortunately it's sad to see so many fallen pubs over the years. I love an old fashioned boozer me. Part of the heritage of this country. Are pub crawls a thing of the past now?

Support your local pub!

Not down here MSE7...love a pub crawl.
  • edited May 2014

Sounds like you either drank too much fizzy lager, or else you sat in the corner with an enormous roll of bubble wrap!
  • smiffyboy said:

Fanny on the Hill closed by Bexley Council

Big fight in there at 3 in morning during a lock in that police were called to, followed by underage drinkers being served, plus landlord got caught buying stolen meat from a scag head police n bexley council set out to get him after the fight, had his licence revoked and order to close down for 6 months or 6 weeks before anyone else can try and get a new licence rumour it's been sold the the builder building flats adjacent to it.
    That fight was the only trouble I've ever seen in all the time I've been drinking in there so not really sure how it can be called a God awful place, and that was casued by a person that doesn't even drink in there regularly.

It wasn't underage drinkers being served, it was ONE girl that the old bill sent in as a sting that one of the girls stupidly served. What a job that is, her parents must be so proud. Going into pubs to try and get them closed down.

It's reopening in a couple of weeks with a new landlord as they're not allowed to have anything other than a pub there for 2 years.
  • MSE7 said:

Unfortunately it's sad to see so many fallen pubs over the years. I love an old fashioned boozer me. Part of the heritage of this country. Are pub crawls a thing of the past now?

Support your local pub!

Not down here MSE7...love a pub crawl.
    You've got some very decent pubs for a crawl in Hastings Old Town: Olde Pump in George Street, First In Last Out, Cinque Port Arms...

• Sponsored links:

Sounds like you either drank too much fizzy lager, or else you sat in the corner with an enormous roll of bubble wrap!
    Maybe had a Stella or 2. Seriously though when we first moved to Eltham I just wanted to visit all the pubs in the local area....just to get a feel for the place....it's what I/we've done whenever we have moved to a new area. After that we 'branched out' and done most of our drinking in Greenwich, Blackheath, Chislehurst and around Shooters Hill.....happy days they were to.
  • Huskaris said:

Wetherspoons do so well because they offer that no frills pub that everyone loves, but at a cheaper price.

In order to survive a pub has to become what Wetherspoons isn't, so play music, serve BBQ food, quizzes etc. The fact is that Wetherspoons do so well for a reason, because they have a good business model.

The sole reason Wetherspoons do well is because of cheap beer. That's it.

• Plaaayer said:

smiffyboy said:

Big fight in there at 3 in morning during a lock in that police were called to, followed by underage drinkers being served, plus landlord got caught buying stolen meat from a scag head police n bexley council set out to get him after the fight, had his licence revoked and order to close down for 6 months or 6 weeks before anyone else can try and get a new licence rumour it's been sold the the builder building flats adjacent to it.
    That fight was the only trouble I've ever seen in all the time I've been drinking in there so not really sure how it can be called a God awful place, and that was casued by a person that doesn't even drink in there regularly.

It wasn't underage drinkers being served, it was ONE girl that the old bill sent in as a sting that one of the girls stupidly served. What a job that is, her parents must be so proud. Going into pubs to try and get them closed down.

It's reopening in a couple of weeks with a new landlord as they're not allowed to have anything other than a pub there for 2 years.
    Not sorry that I called it a god awful place. I popped in summer before last with family and thought I had walked into a EDF convention. Very uncomfortable atmos for the mixed colour make up of our party. We had one drink and left.

I could have been unlucky I suppose.

• Lol. I should correct that but just might leave it as a testament to my stupidity.
  • A member of staff working for EDF, told me they are known as, Every Day's a *uckup."
  • Plaaayer said:

smiffyboy said:

Not sorry that I called it a god awful place. I popped in summer before last with family and thought I had walked into a EDF convention. Very uncomfortable atmos for the mixed colour make up of our party. We had one drink and left.

I could have been unlucky I suppose.

I didn't ask for an apology.

So you've been in there once and made your decision, that's fine but it's hardly and informed decision is it.

I took a load of people from here back after the Millwall game last season that had never been in there before and both Millwall and Charlton were there and it didn't see a hint of trouble. People just seem to have an opinion of it when it wasn't a place for trouble at all.

Went in White Hart a couple of years ago for the carvery. It was ok. nothing special. not really a 'cosy' pub and haven't been back.

Went to the newly done up GPO a couple of fridays ago. It's now owned by 'Antic' who have pulled loads of pubs out of the depths. (Baring Hall etc) and having been to a few Antic pubs recently (including the fantastic Catford Constitutional ) and been impressed by the variety of beers (including fruit ones). it was really quiet (7pm on friday night), lots of people eating (food looked amazing) but it didn't have a cosy feel to it, and due to the tiny bar, with tiny fridge space, they only had a basic standard offering (a couple of unusual beers on tap) but when I asked what fruit beers they did, he told me fruit kopperberg or Crabbies Ginger beer! It was definately more lively when we were leaving about 9pm ish, and there may have been a private party on one side of the pub, behind a large curtain which seperated the pub.

It had only been open a couple of weeks, and I think Antic pubs definately 'grow' after they've first opened. Would go again, although wouldn't rush specifically.

Went in White Hart a couple of years ago for the carvery. It was ok. nothing special. not really a 'cosy' pub and haven't been back.

Went to the newly done up GPO a couple of fridays ago. It's now owned by 'Antic' who have pulled loads of pubs out of the depths. (Baring Hall etc) and having been to a few Antic pubs recently (including the fantastic Catford Constitutional ) and been impressed by the variety of beers (including fruit ones). it was really quiet (7pm on friday night), lots of people eating (food looked amazing) but it didn't have a cosy feel to it, and due to the tiny bar, with tiny fridge space, they only had a basic standard offering (a couple of unusual beers on tap) but when I asked what fruit beers they did, he told me fruit kopperberg or Crabbies Ginger beer! It was definately more lively when we were leaving about 9pm ish, and there may have been a private party on one side of the pub, behind a large curtain which seperated the pub.

It had only been open a couple of weeks, and I think Antic pubs definately 'grow' after they've first opened. Would go again, although wouldn't rush specifically.
    I know what you mean about Antic pubs taking a bit of getting used to - apparently fire damage at the Baring Hall in Grove Park has been retained as part of the décor. Antic have also taken over the old Post Office in Forest Hill and kept the 1960s fixtures and fittings, and are set to open at the former Job Centre opposite Deptford station.

Cheers, may pay it a visit.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014
    Huskaris said:

Wetherspoons do so well because they offer that no frills pub that everyone loves, but at a cheaper price.

Weatherspoons do well because they buy beer cheaply in huge bulk quantities - which enables them to heavily undercut the pubs run by tenant landlords, who are forced to buy from their pubco at inflated prices.

In effect Weatherspoons are the discount warehouses compared to your local high street shops.

• Pubcos also force their tenants to buy spirits and mixers from them at prices higher than they could buy them in supermarkets.
  • Only knowing pubs from the punter's side of the counter I don't get how so many go bust with the prices they charge. I went into the Lion Hotel in Farningham on Monday and bought a lime and soda, a lemonade and a lager shandy. £7.40. How much do you think that would cost to make had I bought it in supermarket? What do reckon their margin was on that!?
  • I bought a glass of wine in a bar last night and cost me 9.70.
    Wasnt even a nice one.
  • Curb_It said:

I bought a glass of wine in a bar last night and cost me 9.70.
    Wasnt even a nice one.

What the f.uck?! Was this in Euros?
  • Ha no. Poncy City wine bar so my own fault.
    I'll stick to the Star!