Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Weirdo's view.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting, but I think the notion of greed and its variants can be condensed further.

There are only two things that motivate us to do anything: Love and fear. Consider anything, anything at all, that compels you to make a decision and it will have its core existence in either of these emotions.

Sadly, it seems on personal reflection, we are invariably motivated by fear as our cave-dwelling forebears were.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Interesting, but I think the notion of greed and its variants can be condensed further.

There are only two things that motivate us to do anything: Love and fear. Consider anything, anything at all, that compels you to make a decision and it will have its core existence in either of these emotions.

Sadly, it seems on personal reflection, we are invariably motivated by fear as our cave-dwelling forebears were.

Nice input RS but further to your conclusions, fear can also be a desire to survive.

• Options
    You're almost there. To desire add Redskin's fear and then add delusion and you've got the motive forces that keep it all spinning round. Doesn't work for inanimate objects though, so ultimately it all narrows down to just the delusion that we have some solid ground from which we can assess what's going on. Nothing stays the same. Everything changes. Even the end of season slump, apparently.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Or, maybe baby, survival is simply fear of dying.
    With regard to wheresme's pertinent points, I think both desire and delusion have their roots in fear.
    Desire being the idea that without whatever it is that is desired, one's life will be somewhat incomplete, and the fear is of the resultant sense of loss/deprivation.
    Delusion is simply wilful,or otherwise, contrivance of fact or circumstance to afford the deluded a preferred state of being to the actuality whose existence they are uncomfortable with / fearful of.

Blimey, time for a cup of tea...
  • Options
    Yeh, but. no but, yeh but . . .
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Or, maybe baby, survival is simply fear of dying.
    With regard to wheresme's pertinent points, I think both desire and delusion have their roots in fear.
    Desire being the idea that without whatever it is that is desired, one's life will be somewhat incomplete, and the fear is of the resultant sense of loss/deprivation.
    Delusion is simply wilful,or otherwise, contrivance of fact or circumstance to afford the deluded a preferred state of being to the actuality whose existence they are uncomfortable with / fearful of.

Blimey, time for a cup of tea...

I like your style...I'm learning also.

• Options
    if we touch the tree bark sometimes its life in nature becomes transparent in ourselves, realising through the wind and rain that life itself is a storm should encourage us to seek sunshine in the minds eye
  • Options
    nolly said:

if we touch the tree bark sometimes its life in nature becomes transparent in ourselves, realising through the wind and rain that life itself is a storm should encourage us to seek sunshine in the minds eye

What a refreshing change from Creatine :-)
  • Options
    We are stardust
    We are golden
    (Billion year old carbon)
    And we've got to get ourselves
    Back to the Garden
  • Options

nolly said:

What a refreshing change from Creatine :-)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    beautiful Henry
  • Options

We are stardust
    We are golden
    (Billion year old carbon)
    And we've got to get ourselves
    Back to the Garden

How right we nearly got it!

• Options
    but our only desire is to be "at valley floyd road" ..the song tells us

• Options
    lolwray said:

but our only desire is to be "at valley floyd road" ..the song tells us

Man cannot live by one desire alone.

• Options

Stig said:

Stig said:

...For anything physical to succeed it needs a purpose, and to have a purpose it needs intelligence...

Why and why?
    I don't understand how Photoshop works but I accept that you do and appreciate your work.

Thanks, but that's no answer is it.
    I'm happy to send you the full version but it's akin to walking through custard.

Why walk through custard when you can run across the top?
    Taking Birds as a custard standard you wouldn't be able to run across it...but funnily enough the maths says you could drive across it.

Of course you can, it's non-Newtonian.

But then again, maybe it was a metaphor. Or was it?

Is this a rhetorical question?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You just have to accept that I have a deep fascination for custard.
  • Options
    How can mere humans who have been around for such a short amount of time, ever hope to have the answers to questions 14 billion years old. How arrogant are we to even try. Our language and our brains do not have the capacity to even attempt to define something so much better, bugger, older and wiser than we are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't have arrogance, just wonderment. I am fully aware that nature doesn't care about us, but that in itself can humble us and help us to keep a proportional view of our own importance, or lack of.
  • Options
    I am Spartacus
  • Options
    DRF said:

How can mere humans who have been around for such a short amount of time, ever hope to have the answers to questions 14 billion years old. How arrogant are we to even try. Our language and our brains do not have the capacity to even attempt to define something so much better, bugger, older and wiser than we are.

Exactly. The smartest dog in the world can never be taught long division. In universal terms we are sub-canine....

(which is why humans have a tendency to make up invisible cloud wizards to explain things they don't understand)
  • Options
    Long Division are just a taller version of Red Division...FACT!
  • Options
    except we are beginning to very slowly understand the universe, in a language that is universal. That's mathematics and physics.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Talk about arrogance "You don't walk by worms and go, I wonder what the worm is thinking. This is just not a thought that you have". Yes mate, some of us do have thoughts like that! So stop thinking you can speak for me or anyone like me.

ps. This is pointed at the idiot above and not the person that posted it.

• Options
    Neil degrasse Tyson? The man is one of the most humble, badass guys on the planet and he raises a good point. Which is anything but "arrogant"
  • Options

Neil degrasse Tyson? The man is one of the most humble, badass guys on the planet and he raises a good point. Which is anything but "arrogant"

I never said he was arrogant, just his statement. He makes himself look an idiot for thinking he speaks for all mankind.
  • Options
    He doesn't help himself having is picture taken with a Belisha beacon behind his head.