Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thank the Deities

We can no longer be prematurely promoted. The score is a clear reflection we are not ready.

Comments

• Thank the deities we aren't praying for a win against Peterborough tonight to keep us safe!
  • What a load of rubbish. The money you get for promotion allows you to stop making £7m + losses a year and uncertainity, pay off debts and strengthen the squad like every promoted club does every year.

Even if you got tonked every game the money you get next season in parachute sets you up for a good few seasons and would wipe out most if not all debts.

Hopefully our squad has more bollocks than our fanbase and will be gutted they didnt sneak it this year and push on.

All this stay in a lower division and consolidate would be fine if the gulf between the top league and every other league wasnt widening by the season. Finishing where we will has been a remarkable achievment and well beyond my expectation but i wont be celebrating not getting in the playoffs.
  • Spot on Dave!
  • What a load of rubbish. The money you get for promotion allows you to stop making £7m + losses a year and uncertainity, pay off debts and strengthen the squad like every promoted club does every year.

Even if you got tonked every game the money you get next season in parachute sets you up for a good few seasons and would wipe out most if not all debts.

Hopefully our squad has more bollocks than our fanbase and will be gutted they didnt sneak it this year and push on.

All this stay in a lower division and consolidate would be fine if the gulf between the top league and every other league wasnt widening by the season. Finishing where we will has been a remarkable achievment and well beyond my expectation but i wont be celebrating not getting in the playoffs.

THIS. THAT. AND THE OTHER.
  • What's a "Deitie" ?
  • What's a "Deitie" ?

It's the opposite of a Nightie
  • What's a "Deitie" ?

a supernatural being with godlike powers .. like Kermorgant and Powell
  • Great post RCT anyone who can't see the point in getting promoted can probably see us much as David Blunkett. And who is ever 'ready' anyway? The way Cardiff defended against us for an hour at The Valley, are they ready to defend against Van Persie Rooney Suarez Aguero etc?
  • Whats with all the aggression and disrespect you dudes?
  • Thank the deities we aren't praying for a win against Peterborough tonight to keep us safe!

Too right.
  • Sponsored links:

• It doesn't matter whether you are ready or not. Get up. Get the money and take it from there. In fact I doubt that any promoted team from the championship is ever ready for the premiership.
  • Well I agree with Dazzler. Quite like this league and if we do ever go up, I'd like to see it at a time when we have a chance of staying up.

Irrelevant now though
  • Sorry RCT

I reckon if we went up we would have to seriously strengthen meabibg we wouldve spent dough

Yes ypu get dough butvthe whole infastructure in the club would need to change and that wouldnt be cheap

It was a path to serious issues

Lets do it properly with planning and a slow build
  • edited April 2013

Whats with all the aggression and disrespect you dudes?

No aggression or disrespect meant on my part . Apologies Dazzler if it came across like that.

My point is if we had won promotion today would anyone at the club or connected to the club, management, players, board, fans really be dreading august or would they be over the moon? Id be out on the sauce celebrating til the early hours rather than sitting here typing this for starters! ;-)

The longer we are out the top flight the more chance that the owners whoever they are at the time are likely to have a couple of gamble all or nothing seasons spending money we dont have to try and reach the top flight which is surely more detrimental to the long term stability of the club than finding yourself up there for 38 games with the big boys, paying your debts off, strenghtening the squad and every aspect of the club within our means whilst attracting better exponsure, sponsorship and general interest.

No brainer for me. As much as anyone i romanticise about the old days in the 2nd tier and how we were at our level but its proving harder and harder to be sustainable at that level without incurring huge and potentially fatal debts.
  • Got to agree with RCT and I bet the owners are wishing we'd managed to sneak into the Prem via the playoffs. £70m even if they don't spend another penny? Plus another what, £60m over 4 years? They'd bite your hand off if you offered that!
  • I get where you're coming from RCT, and understand why. It just saddens me that the way football is and governed is so sh*t it forces you to think like that
  • As for the bit about the money, 50% of the 92 I believe have now been in the prem.

Has a single one of them cone out of it financially well ?
  • I don't think that we will every have a team that when promoted will not struggle in the premiership. Take what you can, when you can. Thinking back to '98, had we not gone on that unbeaten run at the end of the season, how long would it have taken for us to get promoted? And how long would it have taken for us to have a team that would be strong enough for more than one season?
  • As for the bit about the money, 50% of the 92 I believe have now been in the prem.

Would be interesting to compare them with the 50% that never got to the golden goose.

The gulf is only gonna get bigger and as much as i dislike a hell of a lot about modern football and the premiership it sadly seems to be you have to be in the top flight to not be skint and getting skinter by the month.

Spot on ma son !
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder what response you would get to the question from SCP and the board. I doubt they would be gutted to get promotion.
  • Spot on Rodders.
    I could quite fancy yo-yoing between the Prem and Champs - take the money when you can and enjoy playing the top teams occasionally. Just don't overstretch yourself on mercenary's on high wages and long contracts when you are in the Prem
  • edited April 2013

As for the bit about the money, 50% of the 92 I believe have now been in the prem.

WBA, Swansea, Blackpool off the top of my head in 10 seconds :-)
  • Don't think anyone would be gutted to get promotion,just think people are voicing concerns over what sort of shape we would be in to go up.I think even Cardiff will need to strengthen quite a bit to be competitive.would not want to come back down with least amount of points ever amassed.
  • Don't think anyone would be gutted to get promotion,just think people are voicing concerns over what sort of shape we would be in to go up.I think even Cardiff will need to strengthen quite a bit to be competitive.would not want to come back down with least amount of points ever amassed.

If the net result of promotion was that we were stronger and fitter as a club than we are now I would take the least number of points right now.
  • And how long do you think Powell would last in the prem next season?
    Reckon he'd be gone by the end of September.
  • And how long do you think Powell would last in the prem next season?

We could be top by September.

• edited April 2013

And how long do you think Powell would last in the prem next season?

That would be my main concern. I'd be quite happy to get promoted too soon, struggle for a season and get relegated again, if I believed the owners recognised that our failure to compete was down to relative lack of resources rather than Powell not being up to the job. But I'm not remotely convinced that they would.
  • premiership= over rated
  • clb74 said:

premiership= over rated

It's where all the big knobs hang out.