Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boy done good - CAFC U9 Academy

Comments

• Options
    Congrats to both of you!
  • Options
    Just got back from Sparrows lane after watching Alfie play against pro soccer elite academy. Charlton won 14-0 with Alfie scoring 5 (shooting boots were on tonight!)

Thanks guys for all the nice comments Alfie will read them in the morning before his last match for Arsenal vs Cardiff City

A few answers to your question LOL

Off_it Alfie could out run me when he was 4 let alone 8!! A few months ago they they done speed trials Alfie was 2nd quickest out of 25 boys so doesn't take after me haha

Alfie is just over 3 half foot (so only another 3ft to go!!!!!

NLA He's good looking like me!!!! ;-)

I will put on the pics from Monday's nights signing once I have them.

Once again cheers fellas.......COYR
  • Options
    Great news, congratulations to you both, but most of all enjoy it!
  • Options
    Well done Alfie! Can't imagine how proud Dad must be.
  • Options
    Nice coaching TN. You must have had a hand in it!
  • Options
    Congrats mate :)
  • Options
    Stick him on the bench against Bolton I reckon.
  • Options
    Fantastic news = wow , what a moment for you - and Alfie !
    Really pleased for you.
  • Options

Nice coaching TN. You must have had a hand in it!

I would like to think that I put him on the right track and made the right decisions but if anyone has any boys aged 5+ then the team to go to would be AFC AllStars out of the 9 boys in the U8s 5 have signed for academy's next season 3 for CAFC 1 Spurs and 1for the scum in Croydon SPLITTER!!!!! They have great coaches!!

Alfie is buzzing about tomorrow night at the Valley I'm sure I might shed a tear when he signs on the dotted line?

COYR
  • Options
    Well done Alfie. Your family will be so, so proud - Exciting times!! Don't worry you'll get your Charlton tracksuit and training kit issued in September. Enjoy tomorrow. Do you know if there will be a special guest at the signing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Five goals in a match, that puts him up there with Johnny Summers, Wilson Lennox and Eddie Firmani. Well done Alfie!
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Well done Alfie. Your family will be so, so proud - Exciting times!! Don't worry you'll get your Charlton tracksuit and training kit issued in September. Enjoy tomorrow. Do you know if there will be a special guest at the signing?

Don't forget his initials on the trackie...lol

Our letter say 2 special guests so I'm guessing a few first teamers like Waggy or Harriott?

Good luck TN and son

Question
    If Charlton release him at a later date and millwall were the only club to show an interest , what do you do ?

It would be totally up to Alfie then but hey it would only be a stepping stone to Barca....lol
  • Options
    Congratulations to you and your lad. Whatever he does from now he has already made his old man proud I'm sure.
  • Options
    delroofer said:

Congratulations to you and your lad. Whatever he does from now he has already made his old man proud I'm sure.

Very mate!! my view on it is if it was never meant to be it wasn't to be but all the time he is wearing a Charlton shirt or just as long as he enjoys it then I'm happy! If Alfie ends up back playing Sunday football then so be it!

I already have the memory's of Alfie playing for Charlton at Vicarage road and Reading and Alfie playing for Arsenal Vs

Liverpool
    Everton
    Forest
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Exeter
    Birmingham
    Bristol City

I'm happy already!!!!

• Options

delroofer said:

Very mate!! my view on it is if it was never meant to be it wasn't to be but all the time he is wearing a Charlton shirt or just as long as he enjoys it then I'm happy! If Alfie ends up back playing Sunday football then so be it!

I already have the memory's of Alfie playing for Charlton at Vicarage road and Reading and Alfie playing for Arsenal Vs

Liverpool
    Everton
    Forest
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Exeter
    Birmingham
    Bristol City

I'm happy already!!!!

Great attitude to have Terry. It's about enjoying your football and nothing else. All the best for your boy. You must be really proud.
  • Options
    Well said TN yours and his happiness is what matters and everything else is a bonus...
    Enjoy the ride

• Options
    This is the most interesting thread on here at the moment...
  • Options
    I would enjoy regular updates on how Alfie is getting on and the sort of things he is doing. Not just results but training etc.

Not going to push TN for it because he may see it differently and I certainly don't want to put more pressure on Alfie or breach any confidentiality rules.
  • Options

delroofer said:

Liverpool
    Everton
    Forest
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Exeter
    Birmingham
    Bristol City

I'm happy already!!!!

Do 8 year olds seriously have to travel regularly between London / Liverpool / Exeter / Bournemouth to play in these games ?

What sort of day and time are the games ?
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 10m
    Just bumped into Scott Wagstaff and Danny Hollands upstairs at The Valley. They're attending an academy parents' evening (MW) #cafc

Assuming this is the same meeting? :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    PL 54 said, "Do 8 year olds seriously have to travel regularly between London / Liverpool / Exeter / Bournemouth to play in these games ?

What sort of day and time are the games ?"

Yes, they do. You'll notice none of the Arsenal games featured were against London clubs. That is because nobody local will play Arsenal (probably Chelsea as well) until the boys are signed. There is so much poaching that goes on prior to players signing!! The games for that age group will take place during school holidays or weekends with the very occasional evening game. The Academy fixture list does not commence until they are U9's which is what Alfie is signing for tonight in readiness for next season. Signed early in order to secure them!!
  • Options
    This is such a good thread. Good luck Alfie
  • Options

Just bumped into Scott Wagstaff and Danny Hollands upstairs at The Valley. They're attending an academy parents' evening (MW) #cafc

What a great evening had by all at the Valley tonight. Waggy and Hollands were the special guests and were great with the kids answering all their questions. Alfie is now an official Charlton academy player ( even though I had Arsenal on the phone as we were going into the lounge trying to change my mind!)

We were told tonight that they have 2 games coming up Vs Reading and Southend but in a few Sundays time we have all day Tourney in Norwich teams featuring Norwich,Ipswich,reading and Charlton which should be superb?

I will put on the pics from tonight on in the morning.

Alfie and dad are buzzing COYR
  • Options
    Congrats on your little future star TN

Just out of curiosity, apologise if you have already answered this....

How did Alfie get spotted by Arsenal, Charlton scouts?? The reason i ask this my brother plays for dartford under 10s at the mo, he has been asked by Palars & a few other scouts, he has been playing football since he was 6-7 but for now my dad is happy for him at the darts as he has only been there about 6 months & a sidcup side also
  • Options
    Great news how many lads would turn down the arse when all there mates talk about man u/city Chelsea,arsenal ,spurs and he's coming to little Charlton.
    He can see the future!
    Hopefully back in prem by the time he makes the senior squad.
  • Options
    Well done Alfie.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

How did Alfie get spotted by Arsenal, Charlton scouts?? The reason i ask this my brother plays for dartford under 10s at the mo, he has been asked by Palars & a few other scouts, he has been playing football since he was 6-7 but for now my dad is happy for him at the darts as he has only been there about 6 months & a sidcup side also

I would leave him where he is for now if it was me. Next season is the first season (u11's) of District and Kent County football which Charlton actively discourage but the kids really enjoy. Charlton, although discouraging their boys from playing, do send their scouts along to watch the representative games.

If he is good enough he will be picked up that way.

Alternatively, if he already has scouts watching him and would like to play for Charlton, contact them. I'm pretty sure the procedure is still explained on the OS. If you want any further help, by all means inbox me.

• Options

What a great evening had by all at the Valley tonight. Waggy and Hollands were the special guests and were great with the kids answering all their questions. Alfie is now an official Charlton academy player ( even though I had Arsenal on the phone as we were going into the lounge trying to change my mind!)

We were told tonight that they have 2 games coming up Vs Reading and Southend but in a few Sundays time we have all day Tourney in Norwich teams featuring Norwich,Ipswich,reading and Charlton which should be superb?

I will put on the pics from tonight on in the morning.

Alfie and dad are buzzing COYR

I think we can conclude from this that your boy must be pretty good.
  • Options
    Here are a few pics from last night but does anyone know how I can turn the pics around on a ipad?

• Options
    DOC64 said:

I would leave him where he is for now if it was me. Next season is the first season (u11's) of District and Kent County football which Charlton actively discourage but the kids really enjoy. Charlton, although discouraging their boys from playing, do send their scouts along to watch the representative games.

If he is good enough he will be picked up that way.

Alternatively, if he already has scouts watching him and would like to play for Charlton, contact them. I'm pretty sure the procedure is still explained on the OS. If you want any further help, by all means inbox me.

Many thanks Doc, i think he will be picked up soon. The main thing is he is enjoying his football for now and when they get to 12+ then maybe kick on and see where they take it. Think my dad has a plan for him anyway and he thinks he is going to be the next messi (standard dad thing), if i have a say in it i will defo get him to turn down nigels or scumwall any other club is good although preferably charlton :)