Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many we take to away games...

I was chatting to a work colleague and the subject went to footy. He asked me who I supported and I said Charlton. Straight away he said "you lot dont take many to away games do ya?". I asked him why he thought that and he said being a Southampton supporter he remembered a game we played at their place (on a Tues night apparently) and we "only" took 3 or 400 odd. He thought that was a poor showing for a club with decent sized support.

I defended our support, mentioning it was a Tuesday night and still a bit of a journey down there, but he wasnt having it.

Anybody else encountered similar opinions on our away support??

Comments

• Options
    not again ..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Someone on this board might have a similar opinion.
  • Options
    Yeah sounds like he's right to be honest.
    A few weeks earlier they sold out an our place on a tuesday night.

I know we were on a poor run at the time, but it was a shocking turn out.
    Me and a few mates, and probably the rest who ended up there that night, booked our trains when we were doing well and when this looked like a massive match.
    The rest obviously waited and saw sense.
  • Options
    Wasn`t that game a johnstones paint trophy game or something? Wasn`t a league game.
  • Options
    I thought 680 at Leicester on a cold Tuesday night in February was a decent turnout
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Wasn`t that game a johnstones paint trophy game or something? Wasn`t a league game.

He seemed to think it was a league game, but I remember a JPT game there that we lost a couple years ago....

• Options
    Don`t think we have played them at St Mary`s midweek in a league match!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    E-cafc said:

Don`t think we have played them at St Mary`s midweek in a league match!

2010/2011 Around April.

• Options
    We did in Powells first season, lost 2-0.
  • Options
    We did, I went there was only about 300 there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes I remember now! Our season was tailing off and we were on a bad run.
  • Options
    Can't believe a 'certain person' hasn't posted on here yet? :-0
  • Options
    The good thing about our away support is that it is always the same regulars that go away and even though we don't all know each other personally, we all seem to recognise each other.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to have a showing like we did at Selhurst for every away game, but I do like our tight-knit away supporters group.
  • Options
    We were mid table and shit at the time. Would be the same the other way round no doubt
  • Options
    Last night "your grounds to big for you" followed by the return "your ends too big for you" shut us up quite nicely I think to be fair.

I think we've had some great instances of away support. Plenty of noise whenever we go though. No doubt the 600 or so made more noise than the rest of them last night.
  • Options
    He is probably frantically sorting through a pile of printed stats while simultaneously recovering archived data on away followings since 1857 from backup to present us with a concise and non-prejudiced black and white profile of our derisory support, cross checked and referenced against clubs of a comparative size and demographic.

That or even he is bored with it all MIA.
  • Options
    It's the quality not the quantity that really counts.

If you had been sat in the opposite corner of the stadium last night what do you think you would have heard all game? Answer: us!
  • Options
    I took it as a compliment when they started singing 'your ends too big for you'
  • Options

I took it as a compliment when they started singing 'your ends too big for you'

Ha.

He's correct, our away support is poor.

• Options
    was at this game traveled straight from work with a full car of pals and was a poor turnout
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fairly sure your Southampton supporting colleague is talking about the game at St Marys in April 2011 in League 1 , the season SCP was appointed, when we were mid table with nothing to play for whilst Southampton were going for promotion. I was at the game, and in the context of the 2-0 defeat which inevitably followed and the fact the game was meaningless to us the turnout that night was ok. Of all the problems/issues in football, it is frustrating when someone focuses on a non issue such as this, like being back in the school playground.
  • Options
    I was there for the JPT game. Southampton were running away with the league as well i recall?
  • Options

Fairly sure your Southampton supporting colleague is talking about the game at St Marys in April 2011 in League 1 , the season SCP was appointed, when we were mid table with nothing to play for whilst Southampton were going for promotion. I was at the game, and in the context of the 2-0 defeat which inevitably followed and the fact the game was meaningless to us the turnout that night was ok. Of all the problems/issues in football, it is frustrating when someone focuses on a non issue such as this, like being back in the school playground.

Yeah I think its part of the whole "my club is bigger then yours based on inane stats Ive half-heartedly looked up" football banter thing....
  • Options
    CAFC Trev - agreed. I wonder whether the Southampton supporting colleague was at the 1-0 Charlton win at St Marys in our first season back in the Championship having come down from the Prem (Iwelumo in the last minute), when our support there was so big there was a skirmish in the away end over people being in the wrong seats, or the following season when already relegated we won 3-2 and took a superb number to St Marys in a game Southampton had to win to stay up but ended up going down with us, my memory tells me they didnt sell out the home end for a massive game for them. Only our second away win of a relegation season. Or was the colleague only at the glory boy promotion game he refers to ? Anyway, its all a load of childish one upmanship what he said.
  • Options
    Does your mate realise that at our 4-1 win over Southampton on Saturday 26th April 1930, Southampton brought exactly 0 fans to The Valley - OK it was because Southampton had drifted out into the English Channel & nobody noticed it was missing for 12 days, but still shocking turnout.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Does your mate realise that at our 4-1 win over Southampton on Saturday 26th April 1930, Southampton brought exactly 0 fans to The Valley - OK it was because Southampton had drifted out into the English Channel & nobody noticed it was missing for 12 days, but still shocking turnout.

I always suspected that Canvey Island is actually the original Southampton that broke off the mainland and drifted to Essex....
  • Options
    I'd agree that your away support is mediocre at best. Your home support is quite dry too. But that's just my opinion, and every other clubs opinion of your support.
  • Options
    I actually went to that game at St Mary's and our season was over effectively. Nobody had any expectations and we all knew we were going to lose really
  • Options
    provincial teams will always bring more to The Valley for a midweek as a proportion of their fans will live in or near London and can get to the game. I suspect not a lot of our fans live near Southampton. I know 2 Torquay fans in South London, they go to the games they can get to and midweek that means only the London clubs in L2.
    Where games are relatively close we sell out or go quite close. Suspect both Millwall's and the Nigels' top home gates this year will be against us. Travelling anywhere away midweek is difficult and the further away from where you are the harder it is. Isn't this obvious?
  • Options
    maestro said:

I'd agree that your away support is mediocre at best. Your home support is quite dry too. But that's just my opinion, and every other clubs opinion of your support.

Exactly the same as yours, mediocre at best.