Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall at Barnsley tonight

13»

Comments

• Options

To be fair this game was originally scheduled for last Saturday, but obviously got moved earlier this month due to progressing in the cup. So not many would've budgeted in the longest month of the year for a rescheduled Tuesday night to Barnsley after going to the FA Cup game Friday night.

(however, if we had all budgeted we wouldn't have taken many more anyway, can't be many more uninspiring away games)

Whilst i agree it's an uninspiring away game, i don't think you can say the costor the day is a reason. Say you'd drawn against Villa and had a (non budgeted and originally unscheduled) replay up there on a tuesday, suddenly 3-4k of you would've 'found the money' for that one
  • Options

To be fair this game was originally scheduled for last Saturday, but obviously got moved earlier this month due to progressing in the cup. So not many would've budgeted in the longest month of the year for a rescheduled Tuesday night to Barnsley after going to the FA Cup game Friday night.

(however, if we had all budgeted we wouldn't have taken many more anyway, can't be many more uninspiring away games)

Whilst i agree it's an uninspiring away game, i don't think you can say the costor the day is a reason. Say you'd drawn against Villa and had a (non budgeted and originally unscheduled) replay up there on a tuesday, suddenly 3-4k of you would've 'found the money' for that one
    Not a chance we'd take 3-4k up to Villa on a Tuesday night. We took 1700 to Everton in the 3rd round replay a few years ago. Bit closer to home so 2/2500 tops.

& of course you'd go further into your overdraft/credit cards for Villa away, but would you do that for Barnsley?

Shit fixture, hastily re-arranged and just before pay day when most people last got paid just before Xmas. (As I said though, other circumstances we wouldn't take much more anyway!)
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited January 2013
    SLL, you would get a lot of respect from me if you came on here and just stated "Yep, pony away following, glad I wasn't there" or something along those lines.
  • Options
    I think I'd actually like to be at an away game with only a few other people. Would be slightly surreal and something to say "I was there".
  • Options
    CHG said:

SLL, you would get a lot of respect from me if you came on here and just stated "Yep, pony away following, glad I wasn't there" or something along those lines.

She has
  • Options
    CAFCdamo said:

I think I'd actually like to be at an away game with only a few other people. Would be slightly surreal and something to say "I was there".

Carlisle United away, April 2012. The ultimate "I was there" away day.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Remember being at Newcastle and we were given a lift back to the station in the back of OB wagons, reckon we had about 50-60 on the train and maybe a hundred or so by road, certainly no more then 200.
  • Options
    Anybody who came up from the south for the freezing mid week game at Hartlepool deserves respect, one of the most miserable away games especially as it was SCP first loss as manager.

Can't of been many of us at that game?

• Options

Anybody who came up from the south for the freezing mid week game at Hartlepool deserves respect, one of the most miserable away games especially as it was SCP first loss as manager.

Had a great night that evening - apart from the football.

I think we left the Hotel bar at about four in the morning!

• Options
    How many did we take up to Bolton for their last ever Home game at their old ground? I was there that day - can't have been more than about 50 of us ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    edited January 2013
    cafctom said:

CAFCdamo said:

Carlisle United away, April 2012. The ultimate "I was there" away day.
    That's exactly what I thought watching Charlton clinch promotion to the second tier at Carlisle in 1981.

Not forgetting, that's exactly what I thought watching Charlton clinch promotion to the top division at Carlisle in 1986.

;o)

• Options
    supaclive said:

How many did we take up to Bolton for their last ever Home game at their old ground? I was there that day - can't have been more than about 50 of us ....

If that was the 4 or 5-1 defeat in the monsoon then must have been more than 50.
  • Options

Remember being at Newcastle and we were given a lift back to the station in the back of OB wagons, reckon we had about 50-60 on the train and maybe a hundred or so by road, certainly no more then 200.

Bank holiday Monday won 3-0 Leaburn scored his first goal for us, Crooksy scored as well, year we secured our top flight status beating Leeds in play off's, never been so pleased to be in the back of a meat wagon.Newcastle fans screaming blue murder as Beardsley had just been sold.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Not a chance we'd take 3-4k up to Villa on a Tuesday night. We took 1700 to Everton in the 3rd round replay a few years ago. Bit closer to home so 2/2500 tops.

& of course you'd go further into your overdraft/credit cards for Villa away, but would you do that for Barnsley?

Shit fixture, hastily re-arranged and just before pay day when most people last got paid just before Xmas. (As I said though, other circumstances we wouldn't take much more anyway!)
    Not many people on here would've gone to Barnsley and for lesser reasons than the above.
  • Options

Bank holiday Monday won 3-0 Leaburn scored his first goal for us, Crooksy scored as well, year we secured our top flight status beating Leeds in play off's, never been so pleased to be in the back of a meat wagon.Newcastle fans screaming blue murder as Beardsley had just been sold.
    I think Paul Miller got his first that day as well
    i went by coach to this one
    newcastle had just stayed up by results or by the previous saturday fixtures and were on the pitch celebrating their last home game of the season by breaking their own crossbar as well but that may have been as a result of the Beardsley move
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    supaclive said:

Was up there that night, we had 200 tickets for that small scaffold stand that they made. We were supposed to be in the open terrace next to it but as it was their last ever game there Charlton said Bolton could use the extra space for their fans.

Remember Kins scoring a great goal to put us 1 up, we then went on to lose 4.1

• Options
    in all fairness i wont be attending any midweek away games apart from brighton, peterbrough due to work etc so i do think its a valid point for any club to have small away followings during midweek
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

supaclive said:

Was up there that night, we had 200 tickets for that small scaffold stand that they made. We were supposed to be in the open terrace next to it but as it was their last ever game there Charlton said Bolton could use the extra space for their fans.

Remember Kins scoring a great goal to put us 1 up, we then went on to lose 4.1

What a day that was ! An "incident" on the M1 or M6 meant the motorway was closed (IRA , I believe) so we had to make a detour through heavens knows where - country lanes etc. Was on Betty's coach with daughter .

Not many miles from Bolton, the driver pulled into some services as his tacho forced him to take his break ...WTF !!!! It was already around 7pm , maybe later and we were pulling our hair out at inevitably missing some of the match.

A few of the regular lads on the coach ran into the services to see if they could call a taxi to take them to the ground, but the guys we knew ( Peter, John & co) managed to get a dozen or so of us a lift in the back of a furniture van ...luckily an empty one . As the senior member of that group, I rode shotgun up front whilst the young'uns rattled around in the back....daughter never did tell me what went on !

THINK we just missed the kick off and also that we were a goal to the good once we had scrambled into that scaffold stand. Then it all went wrong..

Remember that we sat in front of Sweaty Balmer's wife & parents and that when we were boarding the coach after the game, we saw loads of Bolton fans streaming out with seats, lumps of turf and even a toilet as souvenirs of their old ground.

Anyone on here remember the last leg of the journey in that van ?

• Options
    CHG said:

I did pretty much:

"(however, if we had all budgeted we wouldn't have taken many more anyway, can't be many more uninspiring away games)"

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I was at this one and also went by train. Remember the meat wagons well. Didn't the natives invade the pitch and break the crossbar as well ?
  • Options
    Stoke at their old ground in the mid 90's. It was a midweek game and it was absolutely freezing. We lost 1-0 and had a last minute goal disallowed. There were no more than 40 of us in there (about 30 standing and 10 sitting down).