Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

beer gut

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2013
    RodneyCharltonTrotta, most of what you wrote I agree with but not the 5-6 meals a day part. That is one of the more common pieces of misinformation that is spread as research has shown number of meals is likely to have no effect on metabolism
  • Options
    I've lost my beer gut by taking part in Cancer Research dryathlon this month...though will probably get it back in February.
  • Options

RodneyCharltonTrotta, most of what you wrote I agree with but not the 5-6 meals a day part. That is one of the more common pieces of misinformation that is spread as research has shown number of meals is likely to have no effect on metabolism

Fair enough. Cheers as always good to learn more. There is so much, often contradictory advice out there (especially on the internet) it is daunting and confusing to the point it puts you off! ;-)

• Options
    Just skim-read the posts on here and so here's my very quick take on it (Personal Trainer since 1997):

Liposuction is a bad idea.

Exercise regularly and eat healthily is good advice in general.

HIIT probably not a good idea if you've not done regular exercise before.

Although it's good to have goals, running a marathon (or even a half) is possibly going to cause as many problems as it solves.

Sit-ups do little to remove belly fat.

Don't make wholesale diet changes - evolution not revolution.

Smaller and more regular portions is a good idea.

If you burn more calories than you consume over a given period then you should burn fat, regardless of what type of calories these are (ie Fat, Carbs, Protein). The breakdown of the calories is less important but can also make a difference.

There is no guarantee that any fat lost will come off the belly although it's possible of course.

There's some evidence (not conclusive I hasten to add) that belly fat is made worse by stress, so consider how you might reduce your levels of stress.

Join a gym.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah KHA please take posts by HH and others if they are qualified PT's over anything ive written as what i wrote is very general and not specific to different levels of experience and fitness etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Fair enough. Cheers as always good to learn more. There is so much, often contradictory advice out there (especially on the internet) it is daunting and confusing to the point it puts you off! ;-)

Yeah definitely. Also what works for one person might not work for someone else so it's pretty hard to decide what to listen to.

I usually visit this forum http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13 for nutritional information / advice, again there can be some "broscience" on there but in the most part the more reliable stuff floats to the top. Also some of the other sections are very good if anyone is interested in gym routines etc
  • Options
    Read that sometimes Michaelmon. Some of the "broscience" (I eat 8 chickens for breakfast then fast for 3 weeks etc) is hilarious!
  • Options

There's some evidence (not conclusive I hasten to add) that belly fat is made worse by stress, so consider how you might reduce your levels of stress.

Like missing home games?
  • Options
    Sorry mate, it is age. I'm 6 foot and I was 12 stone from age 25 to late 40s and could eat whatever I wanted. Then next thing I was14 and half stone. Now I could give up all carbs and lose about a pound a month. Depressing. Now I just try to avoid pork pie and chips.
  • Options
    have rediculously thought of taking up smoking as that's meant to stave off comfort eating. i'ver never smoked in my life but wonder if I might be able to look good in some fifties advertising pics looking suave smoking a pipe<?(%~}}>

thanks for the info so far and the jokes.

that's an interesting one stress being a potential factor, I am for the most part frequently stressed. I also take a number of prescribed drugs, that some state may increase weight.

clearly a lot of the damage was done in my rock and roll years where I didn't give a f@ck and thought it would never happen to me.

I had to give up playing football about 3 years ago, as I couldn't keep up with 30 year olds and I do miss it. I'm happy to do exercise but much prefer team activities because I'm more motivated by team sports.

I have a number of typical age related injuries as well, ie dodgy back which when it goes is not only bloody painful but takes ages to mend, so I'm naturally hesitant in that area and I also have bad feet which makes treadmill stuff difficult.

anyway I'll check out the advice so far.

thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you take just one thing ive written on this thread as advice sillav it's don't even consider taking up smoking.

Wasted my 20s by being a smoker and took me years to quit. Bit of extra timber is a lot less harmful and easier to kick than nicotine....proper evil stuff!
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the overall health benefits so this is not a recommendation but I find that one way to avoid hunger is to keep drinking throughout the day. I rather like fizzy drinks so I drink a little diet Coke, but also sparkling water.

I suspect that the ideal would be flat 'boring' water, but I'm confident that there are a lot less calories and fat etc. in a glass or water, even if it has bubbles in it.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited January 2013
    Salad said:

try jogging three times a week

This. Doesn't have to be a strenuous work out. The mistake most people make is doing something that gets to be a chore and then they stop. If you don't want to jog on the street then join a club and use the jogging machine. And go at a pace which is easy to keep up for about 30 minutes. Doing that 3 times a week and situps will work wonders and you'll feel a lot better as well. Remember to stretch before and afterwards. You must keep at it though. Don't stop after two weeks thinking this is no bloody good.

• Options
    There are also things you can do to stave off the comfort eating. Grab a handful of Almonds, for example, if you feel like comfort eating. Almonds contain the good fats and actually make you feel full even after only eating a few. 20 almonds a couple of times a day can work wonders.

I think the medication that makes you put on weight is something that goes with the territory unfortunately but exercise and simple diet changes will help and you'll also be healthier.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd steer clear of diet coke, aspartame is highly addictive and not at all good for you.
  • Options
    I found cutting carbs out was easier than you'd expect. Once you chop out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta it's relatively easy. First few days is hard and then you get used to it. Concentrate on putting on a bit of muscle and that will help you burn fat quicker. Do some weights, if you're not in a gym a kettle bell and some dumbells will help.

A protein heavy breakfast is good (eggs or a shake if you don't have time) sets you up for the day. Remove things like crisps, chocolates and biscuits from the house and you stop craving them. Aim for something achievable: maybe take the weekends off so you've got something to look forward to, or even just do it for two days a week: although I would say that a lot of it is just getting used to it.
  • Options
    Rob said:

There are also things you can do to stave off the comfort eating. Grab a handful of Almonds, for example, if you feel like comfort eating. Almonds contain the good fats and actually make you feel full even after only eating a few. 20 almonds a couple of times a day can work wonders.

how strange, i've just started to eat almonds a coupla days ago<?(%-}}>

• Options
    6 months ago I was 14 stone 5 pounds, and at 5 foot 8 inches that made me round rather than hunky. By dieting and going to the gym twice a week I got down to 13 stone just before Christmas. Just been on holiday for 2 weeks where the food was fantastic. What with Christmas and the holiday I weighed in at 13 stone 9 pounds when I got home yesterday. Just goes to show the diet and exercise routine really does have to be kept up. Eye off the ball for a month or so and you're buggered.

Aiming to get back to 13 stone by the end of February, and then to 12 and a half stone by 1st August - my 58th birthday. Nice present to give myself.

As they say in Toy Story, "To non-fatty-ness and beyond!".
  • Options

KHA this is the hardest area usually for men to lose. I take it you mean the bit where you lose the bit round the top, the sides and it just looks like you're a couple of months pregnant round the navel? ;-) (well that's it for me anyway)

Im a couple of stone overweight at the moment but when i get back into my normal exercise routine and smash it and eat healthy the fat drops off for the first couple of months and im left with the above.

It's where the science and more importantly discipline and knowledge comes it. It is really hard to shift but very possible if you want it enough.

A website I would really recommend is http://www.muscleandstrength.com/

Dont be put off by the name of the website as it's not a body building forum, rather a well stocked and credible resource for various goals.

Its completely free,caters for everyone and is written by experts.

Maybe have a read at the articles section...this is one ive just glanced at for instance http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/exercise-reduce-belly-fat but loads on there.

You need to create a calorie deficit ie burn more calories than you consume whilst eating a healthy balanced diet consisting of good fats, protein and carbs in the right portions and proportions.

I have no qualifications re nutrition and exercise other than years of reading and speaking to PTs and mates who know there stuff but you learn what works and what doesnt.

Im sure theres qualified PTs who read here who can correct what ive written or give more of the science etc but that website isn't a bad starting place.

There's a lot of myths and misinformation out there about diet and exercise and people have made a fortune from peddling crap to people who want shortcuts, quick fixes.

Fad diets, starving yourself will lose fat but is unhealtly to the point of being dangerous and paradoxically can also mean you end up fatter than ever as you can inadvertadly slow your metabolism down and your body goes into starvation mode. It thinks "shit John hasnt been eating enough it must be a time of famine, therefore i need to reserve and store fat to prevent starvation" which makes your metabolism less efficient.

You need to rev your metabolism up. Things that work include eating small balanced healthy meals more regularly ie 5- 6 times a day (grazing) to keep your metabolism stoked (a lot easier to do than it sounds)

Also for fat burning high intensity interval training (HIIT) such as sprints/ skipping/ spinning classes or hitting a punch bag for example will burn fat more efficiently than plodding the streets jogging at a stable pace for an hour a night.

Resistance training (weights) is epic for fat loss to and the more lean muscle you have means the more calories are burned to feed the muscle.

A good workout weights wise is this for fat burning.... http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/density-giant-set-training-maintain-muscle-fat-loss.html

This is all a very crude and brief overview but the principles are pretty spot on.

90% of it comes down to a clean, healthy balanced diet and the way you eat ie small portions more regularly as opposed to 3 massive meals.

The hardest and often most frustrating bit is losing the last bit of belly but with the right knowledge and discipline it is certainly achieveable.

I just need to practice what i preach!

PS just re read your post KHA ....if you are below your recomended weight you may not be eating enough and slowing your metabolism down. I had this problem before when i first started losing fat incorrectly....was smashing the exercise but not eating enough ie only 3 small meals. I looked gaunt but still had a bit of a pot belly as was effectively not getting enough calories.

It takes time and effort to do it properly but if done properly it is sustainable.

Oh and dont waste your money on synthetics such as whey protein powder. Unless you are an elite athlete they are gimmicks and not as good as natural protein found in chicken, tuna, cottage cheese etc.

They are just very well marketed and a billion pound industry which fund most of the magazines and a lot of the websites they are promoted in.

Good stuff Rodney. Very well informed for somone not in the industry. To everyone, I'd forget a lot of the media and industry hype and jargon. Simplifying it, it really is a matter of speeding your metabolism up and Calories in versus Calories out. Create a calorie defecit, then sooner or later you are gonna lose weight. Not a pleasant analagy, but people in the world who don't get enough food, are not fat.