Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

beer gut

despite as a kid saying i'd never have one, i find at the ripe old age of 58 that unfortunately i have, and it really gets me down some days, when i catch a glimpse of myself in shop windows?

i know in the great scheme of things, it's not even worth the time of day, but i do still have my pride, well i used to, at least, and i have to be realistic as well, i'm not gonna do a million sit ups a day, so have been thinking about lyposuction? has anyone tried it and does it work?

am i really being vain, here?

Comments

• Try giving up the liquor and go for a run butterbean!
  • edited January 2013
    Eat/drink a bit less and exercise a bit more. It'll save you some money, be good for your mental health, and reduce the gut.
  • Were you in the away end sat?
  • despite as a kid saying i'd never have one, i find at the ripe old age of 58 that unfortunately i have, and it really gets me down some days, when i catch a glimpse of myself in shop windows?

Don't worry, soon all the shops will be boarded up and you won't be able to catch a glimpse of yourself. ;-0)
  • Beer gut: the clue is in the name!
  • try jogging three times a week
  • Fortunately the queues at half time are so long you aren't able to top up your beer gut :-)
  • edited January 2013
    If you don't want to exercise then what about cutting down on the food? You don't have to do any cardio at all to have a decent body as long as you eat ok.

There are calculators online where you can work out how many calories you need a day for "maintenance", if you eat less calories than this then your body will burn off fat (should aim for around 500 calories under "maintenance"). Obviously if you love your food etc this might not be the best choice for you, but at the same time if you get lypo and continue to eat the same then you will put the weight back on eventually
  • Could be worse. You could be this mess
  • have a go on this: amazon.co.uk/Insanity-Ultimate-Workout-Fitness-Programme/dp/B002QZ1RS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359386741&sr=8-1

i had a go on this and lost buckets of weight and improved my cardio performance.

• Sponsored links:

• jayblock said:

have a go on this: amazon.co.uk/Insanity-Ultimate-Workout-Fitness-Programme/dp/B002QZ1RS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359386741&sr=8-1

i had a go on this and lost buckets of weight and improved my cardio performance.

its £105. can i borrow yours?
  • Bagsy after Gary!
  • i have been off the grog for a month now last drink NYE. I went up to 13st 12 which is bloody disgusting and I had developed a horrible gut as well. Down to 13'4 but it aint coming off easily. Been exercise bike about 3 times a week at highest resistance but I think my target weight of 12 stone is going to be nigh on impossible, I would settle for 12 and a half .
  • i gave up drinking about 7 years ago. i don't think i eat particularly badly, i don't do take aways etc, or at least not very often to make aa difference and i do cycle.

i just think it's that same old thing of being older and being harder to shift.

i'm not being lazy, i'm not a couch potato and i wasn't in the away end on saturday<?(%-}}>
  • i have been off the grog for a month now last drink NYE. I went up to 13st 12 which is bloody disgusting and I had developed a horrible gut as well. Down to 13'4 but it aint coming off easily. Been exercise bike about 3 times a week at highest resistance but I think my target weight of 12 stone is going to be nigh on impossible, I would settle for 12 and a half .

Mate, I can just picture your reaction (something along the lines of a very loud FFS!) weighing yourself after a week of no drinking, exercising and dieting with hardly any difference! Does your family and dog make themselves scarce whenever you go near the scales?
  • and about the exercise, i'm just being realistic, i've tried many times before and failed and its very demoralising?
  • If you're rich enough to afford lyposuction you must be rich enough to afford birds that don't care that you're fat !
  • se9addick said:

If you're rich enough to afford lyposuction you must be rich enough to afford birds that don't care that you're fat !

haha i wish.
  • Fortunately the queues at half time are so long you aren't able to top up your beer gut :-)

Please don't tell me you actually drink that rubbish they serve under the label lager in there?
  • Sponsored links:

Please don't tell me you actually drink that rubbish they serve under the label lager in there?
    Absolutely not! And not just because of the queues either...

• Please don't tell me you actually drink that rubbish they serve under the label lager in there?

Absolutely not! And not just because of the queues either...

My sentiments exactly!!!

• Quick solution would be to give up bread, pasta, biscuits, cakes etc straight away, in the long term try the Insanity workout as mentioned earlier. It's tough as nails but superb for your fitness.
  • jayblock said:

have a go on this: amazon.co.uk/Insanity-Ultimate-Workout-Fitness-Programme/dp/B002QZ1RS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359386741&sr=8-1

I've seen the info-mercial for this a couple of times. Had to go for a lie down!
  • I just go walking. In fairness I'm only 41 so I might have found it easier to shift, but an hour and a half three or four days a week (and cutting out the fat Coke) and I shifted three and a half stone in three months.

Walking is not too hard on your joints and I never feel out of breath or get any pains anywhere.

It just takes up a lot of time, but once I started to see the weight come off I got more enthusiasm. I also found that shortly after I started I was less hungry and I was not as tempted to 'snack' on crisps etc.
  • Liposuction is the equivalent of cyponing 3/4 the petrol out of the tank driving round for a bit then gradually filling it up again every time you pass a garage and paying a fortune for it.

Will be a quick but expensive and unfortunately very temporary solution unless you change your lifestyle after it.

Only way to lose fat and more importantly keep it off is to burn more calories than you consume.

Ie exercise and a healthy balanced diet.

A million sit ups wont lose any fat. Youll have rock hard abs but will be hidden by fat. ;-)

• Liposuction is the equivalent of cyponing 3/4 the petrol out of the tank driving round for a bit then gradually filling it up again every time you pass a garage and paying a fortune for it.

Will be a quick but expensive and unfortunately very temporary solution unless you change your lifestyle after it.

Only way to lose fat and more importantly keep it off is to burn more calories than you consume.

Ie exercise and a healthy balanced diet.

A million sit ups wont lose any fat. Youll have rock hard abs but will be hidden by fat. ;-)

Rodney,

When you lose fat and get to (or just below) you minimum weight for your height how do you lose the remaining belly fat?
  • I just go walking. In fairness I'm only 41 so I might have found it easier to shift, but an hour and a half three or four days a week (and cutting out the fat Coke) and I shifted three and a half stone in three months.

Walking is not too hard on your joints and I never feel out of breath or get any pains anywhere.

It just takes up a lot of time, but once I started to see the weight come off I got more enthusiasm. I also found that shortly after I started I was less hungry and I was not as tempted to 'snack' on crisps etc.

feel like I'm saying, seen it, done it and done it!

I have a dog, a border collie, so am out everyday no matter what, he gets 2 hours + without fail?

• edited January 2013
    KHA this is the hardest area usually for men to lose. I take it you mean the bit where you lose the bit round the top, the sides and it just looks like you're a couple of months pregnant round the navel? ;-) (well that's it for me anyway)

Im a couple of stone overweight at the moment but when i get back into my normal exercise routine and smash it and eat healthy the fat drops off for the first couple of months and im left with the above.

It's where the science and more importantly discipline and knowledge comes it. It is really hard to shift but very possible if you want it enough.

A website I would really recommend is http://www.muscleandstrength.com/

Dont be put off by the name of the website as it's not a body building forum, rather a well stocked and credible resource for various goals.

Its completely free,caters for everyone and is written by experts.

Maybe have a read at the articles section...this is one ive just glanced at for instance http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/exercise-reduce-belly-fat but loads on there.

You need to create a calorie deficit ie burn more calories than you consume whilst eating a healthy balanced diet consisting of good fats, protein and carbs in the right portions and proportions.

I have no qualifications re nutrition and exercise other than years of reading and speaking to PTs and mates who know there stuff but you learn what works and what doesnt.

Im sure theres qualified PTs who read here who can correct what ive written or give more of the science etc but that website isn't a bad starting place.

There's a lot of myths and misinformation out there about diet and exercise and people have made a fortune from peddling crap to people who want shortcuts, quick fixes.

Fad diets, starving yourself will lose fat but is unhealtly to the point of being dangerous and paradoxically can also mean you end up fatter than ever as you can inadvertadly slow your metabolism down and your body goes into starvation mode. It thinks "shit John hasnt been eating enough it must be a time of famine, therefore i need to reserve and store fat to prevent starvation" which makes your metabolism less efficient.

You need to rev your metabolism up. Things that work include eating small balanced healthy meals more regularly ie 5- 6 times a day (grazing) to keep your metabolism stoked (a lot easier to do than it sounds)

Also for fat burning high intensity interval training (HIIT) such as sprints/ skipping/ spinning classes or hitting a punch bag for example will burn fat more efficiently than plodding the streets jogging at a stable pace for an hour a night.

Resistance training (weights) is epic for fat loss to and the more lean muscle you have means the more calories are burned to feed the muscle.

A good workout weights wise is this for fat burning.... http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/density-giant-set-training-maintain-muscle-fat-loss.html

This is all a very crude and brief overview but the principles are pretty spot on.

90% of it comes down to a clean, healthy balanced diet and the way you eat ie small portions more regularly as opposed to 3 massive meals.

The hardest and often most frustrating bit is losing the last bit of belly but with the right knowledge and discipline it is certainly achieveable.

I just need to practice what i preach!

PS just re read your post KHA ....if you are below your recomended weight you may not be eating enough and slowing your metabolism down. I had this problem before when i first started losing fat incorrectly....was smashing the exercise but not eating enough ie only 3 small meals. I looked gaunt but still had a bit of a pot belly as was effectively not getting enough calories.

It takes time and effort to do it properly but if done properly it is sustainable.

Oh and dont waste your money on synthetics such as whey protein powder. Unless you are an elite athlete they are gimmicks and not as good as natural protein found in chicken, tuna, cottage cheese etc.

They are just very well marketed and a billion pound industry which fund most of the magazines and a lot of the websites they are promoted in.
  • Couch 2 5k.... it's a slow build up . I went from no exercise in years ti a half marathon in 9 months. Training for the Paris marathon in April. Never in a million years did I think it was possible. Tell people you are going to run 5k non stop and see their faces when you do.

Also never thought I would enjoy it but the feeling after a good run can't be bought.