Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dull plastic surburbanites

2»

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:

The Lions - named after the vicious circus animals which made up the majority of the support in the early years.
    The Irons - docks, rent boys, say no more.
    The Gunners - little known fact but the first Arsenal team was made up entirely of professional rear-gunners.

Have to take you to task over the last stat: Arsenal Est 1886, first rear guns on an aeroplane was the Handley Page V/1500 bomber circa 1918. Your'e supposed to be an anorak...please check facts more carefully in future :)
  • Options

When it comes down to it there is no difference between the background of the fans that support either club, it's just that we seem to be better at attracting more of them, possibly because our ground is better and more accessible but more likely because we have a more credible image to put out to our catchment areas

Broadly speaking, we are similar sized clubs with a similar history since WW2, and attract similar fans from different but similar outer London boroughs. In terms of DNA matching we are at the 99% mark, think how this compares to clubs like Arsenal, Cardiff or Hartlepool.

Where we differ is around the personalities that are behind the club. Near death experiences build your character and shape your future, in our case we learnt 'strength through adversity' from near extinction but in their case they escaped their first administration by the sleeziest of methods, screwing local businesses and ruining one entreprenur with not-quite-deep-enough-pockets only to replace him with another. This is the club of Malcolm Allison, Ron Noades, Terry Venables, Simon Jordan. Heroes to Palace fans but arseholes to everyone else. Although, to be fair, their current regime seem decent by comparison.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here?

Mattaddick comes on and posts about how much he hates Crystal Palace. I thought everyone on here did? There are user names like PalaceHater and Ihatepalace etc. Then everyone seems to have a go at him. Crystal Palace feature in just about everyone's Top Ten Teams You Hate in a recent thread, more often than not in the top two.
    Can someone explain what Matt did wrong?
  • Options
    Didn't use paragraphs.
  • Options
    He's upset the west stand middle class fans
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Mattaddick comes on and posts about how much he hates Crystal Palace. I thought everyone on here did? There are user names like PalaceHater and Ihatepalace etc. Then everyone seems to have a go at him. Crystal Palace feature in just about everyone's Top Ten Teams You Hate in a recent thread, more often than not in the top two.

I think his Palace bashing could've been so very easily written about Charlton fans, hence the reaction, it touched a nerve.
  • Options
    Ha ha
  • Options
    The middle class insult is odd, what's wrong with doing well? A nigel even claimed that they're working class on the Palarse game thread, they play in Surrey FFS and have a rivalry (mmm) with a team in Sussex. Very strange.
  • Options

Riviera said:

I think his Palace bashing could've been so very easily written about Charlton fans, hence the reaction, it touched a nerve.
    Yup
  • Options
    I'm a Civil Servant (well, Local Government Officer) and I live in Surrey. Does that mean that I'm not worthy enough to support CAFC?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fattmatt said:

I'm a Civil Servant (well, Local Government Officer) and I live in Surrey. Does that mean that I'm not worthy enough to support CAFC?

yes.
  • Options
    please leave quietly.
  • Options
    I grew up in Deptford, spent 12 years in Croydon and am now in Reigate. I also work in IT. Fucks me completely, really.
  • Options

The middle class insult is odd, what's wrong with doing well? A nigel even claimed that they're working class on the Palarse game thread, they play in Surrey FFS and have a rivalry (mmm) with a team in Sussex. Very strange.

Don't get jealous.

Our stock brokers make more money than yours.
  • Options
    Is that a Hello Kitty Wu-Tang Symbol?
  • Options
    Millwall and Palace fans remind me of pūkekos can add Wednesday too them as well , bless em.
  • Options

Yes. Yes it is :o)

• Options

Yes. Yes it is :o)

nice
  • Options
    I escaped the middle class argument, as I sit in no mans land in the NE corner. But I've had it on this one....34 years in the Civil Service. I'm sending my season tickets back in the morning. Those years growing up on an Inner London estate in Brockley was my joker, but I'll have to live with the shame of being a DPS.
  • Options

fattmatt said:

yes.
    But I was born in Bexley and I grew up on a council estate. Surley that gives me some rights???