Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dull plastic surburbanites

Aka CPFC. Okay so moving quickly on from the game yesterday we turn our thoughts to the plastic football club with no history which is Palace. We really need to relax about this lot despite their recent delusions of grandeur. They pretend to be oblivious to our existence which is funny to behold. They may hate Brighton and Millwall a lot more - in fact they'll profess to hating every club between Plymouth and Carlisle more just to appear nonchalant about us - but no one is fooled. Simply remind any of them about those neanderthals among their number who waded in with fists and boots to women, kids and scarf-wearing decent folk at Sydenham station a couple of years back if they pretend not to care. I work with one who is always bemoaning their lot. You would think they are the only club who have ever produced a decent player who has subsequently been sold and as though supporting Palace is somehow different to supporting any other club. They've done okay so far this season but - taking the big picture - they are basically a club which has underachieved and consists of fans who work as accountants, civil servants and bank clerks. ie everything about them is average and long may it continue.

Comments

• And what do you work as ?...And where do you live ?
  • edited January 2013
    Embarressing yourself with all those cliches and generalisations especially as you live in the rough inner city Paddock Wood.

"They are all accountants, civil servant and bank clerks" - 1 so what even it it were true? 2. You admit you work with one of them so what does that make you?

I assume he's an international playboy that divides his time between an undersea lair in the Seychelles, a snow covered chalet in the Alps and a New York penthouse. I know I do.
  • I'm not sure trying to position ourselves as the club of the down trodden, inner city working class man is the right approach !

Can we just focus on how their "South London and proud" motto on the back of their shirts is laughable (and de facto incorrect).
  • edited January 2013
  • When it comes down to it there is no difference between the background of the fans that support either club, it's just that we seem to be better at attracting more of them, possibly because our ground is better and more accessible but more likely because we have a more credible image to put out to our catchment areas
  • I agree with the no history part.

I assume he's an international playboy that divides his time between an undersea lair in the Seychelles, a snow covered chalet in the Alps and a New York penthouse. I know I do.
    The Seychelles is so last year. The Maldives is where it's at for undersea lairs nowadays.

• Where is this surburbia ?
  • They're from Surrey. That's all that needs to be said. Some of their fans are decent human beings, just like some of ours aren't. Can't make the game but I really really really want us to win in a way I don't with any other game, especially after they mugged us earlier this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• I suspect a lot if our fans are from Surrey as well judging by the number of charlton supporters that head for Waterloo station after each game

The Seychelles is so last year. The Maldives is where it's at for undersea lairs nowadays.

Incorrect, Grenyarnia is the real deal. ;)

• I can't wait to down my tools (calculator and spreadsheet) do my online waitrose shop and then leave the mean streets of Beckenham to have it with those plastic, suburbanite accountants next Saturday.
  • PL54 said:

Where is this surburbia ?

Cobham ?

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6hbiNVfbw
  • PL54 said:

Where is this surburbia ?

Cobham ?

I must have confused it with suburb / suburban / suburbia.

Surburbia must be closer to the coast.

• No history? What qualifies as history?
  • "consists of fans who work as accountants...."

Nothing wrong with accountants! Salt of the earth.

I assume he's an international playboy that divides his time between an undersea lair in the Seychelles, a snow covered chalet in the Alps and a New York Cross penthouse. I know I do.
    Fixed

• Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:

No history? What qualifies as history?

not changing your badge every ten years,not changing your colours to match barca,not creating a random nickname to 'modernise the club',not creating a rivalry with a team because of a few tight games in the 70s and winning something=history. That's a direct quote from the Oxford dictionary

• Croydon said:

Simonsen said:

not changing your badge every ten years,not changing your colours to match barca,not creating a random nickname to 'modernise the club',not creating a rivalry with a team because of a few tight games in the 70s and winning something=history. That's a direct quote from the Oxford dictionary

I always felt The Glaziers was a great nickname, I mean what other team, in any sport, is called after a respected trade? I can't think of any!
  • Cobblers? Hatters? Potters? Brewers? Shrimpers? Glovers? Saddlers?
  • Croydon said:

Simonsen said:

I always felt The Glaziers was a great nickname, I mean what other team, in any sport, is called after a respected trade? I can't think of any!
    The Potters ?

• The Millers?
  • The Lions - named after the vicious circus animals which made up the majority of the support in the early years.
    The Irons - docks, rent boys, say no more.
    The Gunners - little known fact but the first Arsenal team was made up entirely of professional rear-gunners.
  • I've said it before and "I"l say it again, I really don't give a monkeys about Palace., they've never been our true rivals and for me they never will be., it's a club in a nondescript area where the 122 bus use to terminate.
  • Cobblers? Hatters? Potters? Brewers? Shrimpers? Glovers? Saddlers?

....yeah, but apart from those?
  • Crystal Palace is famous for being the location of a big greenhouse that somehow managed to burn down years ago.

Kinda sums it up really.
  • That old Manfred Mann vid was cringeingly brilliant, Incorruptible!