Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Irish council approves motion to allow drink driving.

edited January 2013 in Not Sports Related
On one of me pals Facebook wall, I'm not a Gardinista!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/22/irish-council-rural-drink-driving

Comments

• I wonder if Greenwich Council will follow suit?
  • Riviera said:

I wonder if Greenwich Council will follow suit?

Only on match days!
  • Oh jeez, I despair of my countrymen sometimes. Not for nothing are Kerrymen the butt of the rest of the country's jokes. No surprise either that the council man who proposed it is...a publican!!! Pr@t!!
  • They really are a ridiculous country
  • steady there
  • nolly said:

They really are a ridiculous country

IN WHAT WAY ?

• My uncle used to drive his tractor to the pub. Doesn't bother anymore just sits in his farmhouse alone.

Pubs in the country really suffer. No such thing as a cab. Don't blame the publican.
  • I'm of half Irish parentage but find them a strange people . Think the way they went about the Catholic Church scandal was typically Irish
  • nolly said:

I'm of half Irish parentage but find them a strange people . Think the way they went about the Catholic Church scandal was typically Irish

Taxi!
  • This is really interesting, we have exactly the same problem here in Oz in rural/regional areas where you just cannot get a Taxi and there is no public transport.

I was in a pub in Maleny (in the Sunshine Coast hinterland) last year on holiday and got chatting to some locals and of the six of them FIVE were on drink-driving bans.

They were not 'bad' lads, just regular working blokes who enjoyed a drink and a night out but had no way of getting to/from the pub unless they drove.

I am, of course, not advocating drink-driving but it is a real problem in these areas as to how you keep the community pub alive if nobody can get there to have a drink.
  • Sponsored links:

• But they don't have to stay home. It is possible to go to the pub and have a chat and a laugh without consuming alcohol.

Alternatively the pubs could install sofa beds, and idea which isn't nearly as absurd as allowing drink driving.
  • This is really interesting, we have exactly the same problem here in Oz in rural/regional areas where you just cannot get a Taxi and there is no public transport.

I was in a pub in Maleny (in the Sunshine Coast hinterland) last year on holiday and got chatting to some locals and of the six of them FIVE were on drink-driving bans.

They were not 'bad' lads, just regular working blokes who enjoyed a drink and a night out but had no way of getting to/from the pub unless they drove.

I am, of course, not advocating drink-driving but it is a real problem in these areas as to how you keep the community pub alive if nobody can get there to have a drink.

Or do what civilised people have been doing since time immemorial and nominate a designated driver, taking it in turns to perform this role. Seriously - there is NO excuse nowadays for drink driving. None.
  • edited January 2013
    Don't know what is most surprising, reading about this motion or finding out that @BIG_ROB is potentially a closet Guardian reader.

Or do what civilised people have been doing since time immemorial and nominate a designated driver, taking it in turns to perform this role. Seriously - there is NO excuse nowadays for drink driving. None.
    We are talking about Australians in this instance, rural Queenslanders at that, the word 'civilised people' cannot be used in this context.

We are talking about Australians in this instance, rural Queenslanders at that, the word 'civilised people' cannot be used in this context.
    Haha - fair point. Never mind 'civilised' - from some of the Bogans I've met from out that way, I don't think the word 'people' is that accurate... :o)
  • It's not about excuses. It's about an authority actually looking at an individual situation and making a judgement. If you mention DD these days it's all Lee Hughes and equally awful, tragic events caused by irresponsible idiots, but in this case it's about letting someone drive down a dead quiet country lane with no other traffic after having 3 pints of beer.
    If you are of a certain age like me you have probably driven over the limit. 25 years ago many people did. Not drive blind drunk but maybe after 4 pints over 3 hours. You knew you were safe to drive. But things have changed and quite rightly so. I wouldn't dream of driving at all after a drink. You need limits and the current one works. However I do see where this council is coming from even if it does seem totally wrong to some.
    Please everyone don't fire back with terrible incidents about deaths caused by DD. Return to terraces at football is always greeted with Hilsbourgh.

Haha - fair point. Never mind 'civilised' - from some of the Bogans I've met from out that way, I don't think the word 'people' is that accurate... :o)
    My English mate here plays for a football team in a small rural town near the Gold Coast, all their away games are in Brisbane which is about a 45-minute drive and they play games on a Friday night.

Every other week they travel in 4-5 cars to their away games well loaded up with beers, play the game, more beers in the bar afterwards and in the car on the way home.

There are no designated drivers and they would be well over the limit, they're not rolling drunk but they are 'merry' but somehow they have never been caught.

That's probably because the team contains a couple of members of the QLD Police and they find out in advance where the RBT's are going to be located.

If they ever have an accident they are going to be in huge, huge trouble.
  • RobRob
    edited January 2013

This is really interesting, we have exactly the same problem here in Oz in rural/regional areas where you just cannot get a Taxi and there is no public transport.

My English mate here plays for a football team in a small rural town near the Gold Coast, all their away games are in Brisbane which is about a 45-minute drive and they play games on a Friday night.

Every other week they travel in 4-5 cars to their away games well loaded up with beers, play the game, more beers in the bar afterwards and in the car on the way home.

There are no designated drivers and they would be well over the limit, they're not rolling drunk but they are 'merry' but somehow they have never been caught.

That's probably because the team contains a couple of members of the QLD Police and they find out in advance where the RBT's are going to be located.

If they ever have an accident they are going to be in huge, huge trouble.
    Sounds like England 25 to 30 years ago. They'll catch up eventually.
  • I'm from the county in which this has been passed, this wont go anywhere as it will have to be approved by goverment which will never happen. The article failed to mention that it was something like 30 councillors who abstained to vote, they were too afraid of upsetting their electorate so abstained. Also the guy who passed this motion comes from a family of politicians who do a great job at filling potholes but can't do anything else. County Kerry is now little more than a laughing stock due to this joker.
  • nolly said:

I'm of half Irish parentage but find them a strange people . Think the way they went about the Catholic Church scandal was typically Irish

The way the BBC went about Saville was typically British
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2013
    When I first came to Oz in 1997 I went to a mates house in a place called Redland Bay, halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

His brother-in-law was a copper and popped round one Friday night with his partner - they were both on duty and driving the squad car - and stayed for about two hours and downed beer, red wine and Bundy and Coke - they would have been well, well over the limit.

They ignored several 'call outs' on their radios and just carried on drinking, I was sitting there wondering what the hell was going on, if I had not been sitting there watching it I would not have believed it.

After all that, with their shift due to end at about midnight, they jumped in the squad car and drove back to the station although not before my mate's BIL had come over and shook my hand and said, "You wouldn't want a copper as an enemy would you?" I didn't.

The copper in question is now a down-and-out and drinking himself to death with the Aboriginies in Alice Springs.
  • At least your story had a happy ending Ormy
  • Good to see the Irish living up to there reputation, silly country

Really? Seriously? You fail.

Really? Seriously? You fail.
    It is a bit backward, bit like building a new house with an outdoor toilet. After years of deaths being caused by drink driving they come up with this idea. In a league of there own the Irish.
  • Like I said - seriously? You're demeaning an entire nation of people on one bullshit story in the Daily Mail, that has already been exposed as being part of a stupid attempt by an idiot councillor to appease a few muppets and has no chance in Hell of actually entering the legislature?

I mean - look at it objectively for a second. I'm making the assumption that you're English here (but this applies equally to whatever country you hail from). Because of your inability to distinguish between 'there' and 'their', I could automatically infer that all English people are illiterate morons. I don't, though - because I know it to be untrue.

You could use this aide memoire to help you:

All Penguins are black and white
    All Penguins are birds
    Therefore all birds are black and white

That's clearly patent nonsense, right?

You see where this is going?

Not for the Aboriginies, now they have to put up with the dumb fucker.

Not for the Aboriginies, now they have to put up with the dumb fucker.
    ZING!
  • Like I said - seriously? You're demeaning an entire nation of people on one bullshit story in the Daily Mail, that has already been exposed as being part of a stupid attempt by an idiot councillor to appease a few muppets and has no chance in Hell of actually entering the legislature?

I mean - look at it objectively for a second. I'm making the assumption that you're English here (but this applies equally to whatever country you hail from). Because of your inability to distinguish between 'there' and 'their', I could automatically infer that all English people are illiterate morons. I don't, though - because I know it to be untrue.

You could use this aide memoire to help you:

All Penguins are black and white
    All Penguins are birds
    Therefore all birds are black and white

That's clearly patent nonsense, right?

You see where this is going?

I don't think logic will win people like that over Leroy. Sad, but true.
  • Worth a go though. I've seen The Wire - just call me Prezbo