Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End of Britain

Comments

• Options

Just as a serious note to this comical dicsussion, in case there are any easily-impressionable youngsters reading this thinking that this nutnut might actually be onto something here; he isn't.

This inerudite fantasy of those 'in the know' shipping themselves off to smallholdings to live out their lives like Tom and Barbara Good whilst civilisation collapses in 'the cities' has been bandied around pretty much since the dawn of said civilisation. It's scaremongering bullshit, plain and simple - and here's why you don't need to worry about it.

Firstly, the world's economy is utterly screwed and always has been. It's just that, in the sheltered West, we've been largely inured to it by a string of expanisonist, globalist policies that have successively exploited more and more subjugated nations. It's true that these chickens are starting to come home to roost now, because there pretty much aren't any more nations left to exploit, and we're reaching the endgame in those countries who we've been robbing blind for the past fifty years - with a final course-correction at hand in China - who are now being held up as a 'model' economy (despite the fact that they are able to prosper on the back of a nation of about half a billion people who are little more than slaves). However, other than a long, slow, grinding readdressing of living standards in the West, there will be little change in the status quo over the short-term (10-15 years) in Britain, disregarding the inevitable dismantling of the welfare state, national health service and state pension.

Secondly, currency and the illusion of 'money' only exists as an artificial construct. At any time the government can print as much money as it wants, or take as much out of circulation as it wants. It's true that this just elevates sovereign debt, but as proven time and time again, there's always another generation around to take over the burden. Stop and think for a bit, instead of reacting in horror to some straw-man graphs, conveniently bent to illustrate one facet of a horridly complex economic situation. Can you really see the government just letting a load of banks fail? These fucks are in power to protect the interests of businesses - not ruin them. They know full well that any large-scale 'real' collapse of the banking industry would lead to utter anarchy (and I mean real anarchy - not just a bunch of posh student ponces chucking paint arounf in Maccy D's).

...But...

Just suppose, for a second, that the gleeful proclamations of the Back-To-The-Land-Survivalist-Loons came to pass, and we somehow ended up in the situation they claim is coming. What's the first thing that any government will attempt to do to restore some sort of order? Send the fucking army in to raze their smallholdings flat and annihilate anyone in their way. Somehow I can't see Peter's couple of sheds lasting that long against 20 Brimstones, and his double-barelled shotgun ain't gonna be a lot of cop against a platoon of the SAS who could take out fifteen blokes armed with a peanut and some harsh language.

Finally, if the financial situation DID collapse to the extent outlined above, there would be a global conflict within three months anyway, in which case you wouldn't WANT to survive it as everything would be fucked.

In short, carry on enjoying your celebrity diving, gossip mags, overpriced clothes and pointless gadgets. Nothing will happen - and if it does, you'll all be as fucked as each other - including the dribbling cretins living out US-style survivalist fantasies on Dartmoor.

If that happened do you reckon our League game would be called off on the following Saturday?
  • Options
    Depends if D'Urso was reffing it...
  • Options

Depends if D'Urso was reffing it...

He'd probably wait till everyone had arrived at the ground and call it off at 2.55PM.
  • Options
    Great stuff - post of the year Leroy.
  • Options

Great stuff - post of the year Leroy.

Dammit. Should have waited until December to post this... :o)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You Leroy , you twit are incapable of understanding what you have copied and pasted. Did you really create that marsterpeace of idiocy.

You didn't understand the financial collapse when you derided me from calling for Gold bull in 2004 and then espoused the wisdom of Gold investment on this board after slagging me as misguided investor ,what a hypocrite.
    You are a first class idiot who will go down into the pit of hell where you belong because of your egotistic aggressive way.

Having said that I wish you well and I hope you wake up unlike Appy and Charlton Dan who are now destitute.

Just as a serious note to this comical dicsussion, in case there are any easily-impressionable youngsters reading this thinking that this nutnut might actually be onto something here; he isn't.

This inerudite fantasy of those 'in the know' shipping themselves off to smallholdings to live out their lives like Tom and Barbara Good whilst civilisation collapses in 'the cities' has been bandied around pretty much since the dawn of said civilisation. It's scaremongering bullshit, plain and simple - and here's why you don't need to worry about it.

Firstly, the world's economy is utterly screwed and always has been. It's just that, in the sheltered West, we've been largely inured to it by a string of expanisonist, globalist policies that have successively exploited more and more subjugated nations. It's true that these chickens are starting to come home to roost now, because there pretty much aren't any more nations left to exploit, and we're reaching the endgame in those countries who we've been robbing blind for the past fifty years - with a final course-correction at hand in China - who are now being held up as a 'model' economy (despite the fact that they are able to prosper on the back of a nation of about half a billion people who are little more than slaves). However, other than a long, slow, grinding readdressing of living standards in the West, there will be little change in the status quo over the short-term (10-15 years) in Britain, disregarding the inevitable dismantling of the welfare state, national health service and state pension.

Secondly, currency and the illusion of 'money' only exists as an artificial construct. At any time the government can print as much money as it wants, or take as much out of circulation as it wants. It's true that this just elevates sovereign debt, but as proven time and time again, there's always another generation around to take over the burden. Stop and think for a bit, instead of reacting in horror to some straw-man graphs, conveniently bent to illustrate one facet of a horridly complex economic situation. Can you really see the government just letting a load of banks fail? These fucks are in power to protect the interests of businesses - not ruin them. They know full well that any large-scale 'real' collapse of the banking industry would lead to utter anarchy (and I mean real anarchy - not just a bunch of posh student ponces chucking paint arounf in Maccy D's).

...But...

Just suppose, for a second, that the gleeful proclamations of the Back-To-The-Land-Survivalist-Loons came to pass, and we somehow ended up in the situation they claim is coming. What's the first thing that any government will attempt to do to restore some sort of order? Send the fucking army in to raze their smallholdings flat and annihilate anyone in their way. Somehow I can't see Peter's couple of sheds lasting that long against 20 Brimstones, and his double-barelled shotgun ain't gonna be a lot of cop against a platoon of the SAS who could take out fifteen blokes armed with a peanut and some harsh language.

Finally, if the financial situation DID collapse to the extent outlined above, there would be a global conflict within three months anyway, in which case you wouldn't WANT to survive it as everything would be fucked.

In short, carry on enjoying your celebrity diving, gossip mags, overpriced clothes and pointless gadgets. Nothing will happen - and if it does, you'll all be as fucked as each other - including the dribbling cretins living out US-style survivalist fantasies on Dartmoor.

If that happened do you reckon our League game would be called off on the following Saturday?
  • Options
    If the Apocalypse is coming, we'll soon all be eating dog food so I'd suggest investing in Pedigree Chum. Personally I'll be keeping a can of petrol in the garage so as a bare minimum I'll be able to run the car long enough to gas me and the family. I've seen 'The Road', post apocalyptic fashion looks terrible and I;d rather been seen dead than wearing bin bags for shoes.

Admin, I don't know what has gone before but please do not ban eaststandpeter - he's too entertaining.
  • Options
    Hell?

So, there is a religious angle to this impending collapse, Peter?
  • Options
    Didn't you get washed away in that tsunami though Peter? Fair play for coming back from that intact....

• Options

Spending is coming down but debt is rising. That is because there is no growth due to everybody being frightened of losing their jobs and little or no pay rises for years and the situation in Europe and elsewhere. Still the British public voted for these mugs- oh hang on a minute, they didn't! Thanks Nick Clegg!

So who did they vote for?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are simply no remote rural locations left in Britain.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Leroy a TWIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! naff off he has been called much worse ---try harder.
  • Options
    He cuts through the crap. He cuts through the craaap. Leeeeroy he cuts through the crap.
  • Options
    As Leroy pointed out if countries like the UK the US etc went the way eaststandpeter suggests I doubt it would be long before there would be global nuclear war and I don't think that a smallholding stocked with organic lentils would hold much clout in such a scenario.

Also i imagine irony would come into play in that when it all kicked off you'd probably find yourself queing for a pie at the east stand kiosk with little chance of making it back to the remote safehaven going by Charlton's supporters' general luck.

Fair play to those like yourself who are worried and concerned enough to take such drastic measures....when i was i kid in the 80s with the cold war still chilly i was convinced the bomb was gonna drop any minute and couldnt believe why people were getting on with life as normal and not preparing for armageddon by moving to rural australia and building shelters. Then I realised it is pointless....if it didnt happen i would have squandered all those years worrying for nothing ....if it did im powerless to change diddly squat and therefore no point worrying about it.

As my old man once told me when I told him it was on my mind "Don't worry about it son, it wouldn't be anything personal against you. Even John Barnes would go" which I took great comfort at as a wide eyed nine year old.

• Options

Spending is coming down but debt is rising. .

What utter rubbish. This is the biggest common myth that is spouted. Spening for first the 9 months of the financial year had risen by about 3 billion. Currently for every £1 we get in in tax receipts we spend £1.26.

Although we can hopefully avoaid the armagedon situation goverments will need to cut significantly more. The most important change this government has probably made is in relation to pensions in the future. However it won't be enough and future governments whatever their colour will have to cut welfare by a lot more

• Options
    Most entertaining thread for ages.

“When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened” ― Winston Churchill
  • Options
    redman said:

What utter rubbish. This is the biggest common myth that is spouted. Spening for first the 9 months of the financial year had risen by about 3 billion. Currently for every £1 we get in in tax receipts we spend £1.26.

Although that's true, £3bn (say £4bn overthe fiull 12 months) against a budget of nearly £700bn is a rise of approximately 0.6%, significantly less than inflation and I think less than the increase in revenue (but I haven't been able to find figures on this)/
  • Options

The British public did vote for the Tories the single biggest party--- as for the Liberals this would be the mob Labour are licking their bollox to team up with !!

no worries the mugs who voted for 13 years of labour shit will vote em in next time,

You just don't get it do you? They are ALL the same.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

If the Apocalypse is coming, we'll soon all be eating dog food so I'd suggest investing in Pedigree Chum. Personally I'll be keeping a can of petrol in the garage so as a bare minimum I'll be able to run the car long enough to gas me and the family. I've seen 'The Road', post apocalyptic fashion looks terrible and I;d rather been seen dead than wearing bin bags for shoes.

Admin, I don't know what has gone before but please do not ban eaststandpeter - he's too entertaining.

Another one bites the dust! There's another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust!
  • Options
    Shame, the website was actually become readable again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I found East Stand Peter quite entertaining.

Shame he's been banned.
  • Options
    Jints said:

redman said:

Although that's true, £3bn (say £4bn overthe fiull 12 months) against a budget of nearly £700bn is a rise of approximately 0.6%, significantly less than inflation and I think less than the increase in revenue (but I haven't been able to find figures on this)/
    Actually I put that down wrong. The increase in cuurent spending was £3 billion higher for the month not the 9 months. This is an increase of 5.4% year on year which is above inflation

It also has grown faster than tax receipts up 3.5%

This is why borrowing is increasing - in fact it has increased £106 billion in the 9 months to date.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the clarification, but when I said spending is falling- I meant capital spending (spending on things like the public services etc..) not paying interest on debt, which is what pushes it over. The fact is this government is making cuts but it isn't having the desired effect and the thought of balancing/managing growth with cuts seems beyond them, they are rudderless!

Part of the problem is a lack of understanding that despite there being many budget pots, the country ultimately only has one big budget pot. So if I close an office up north with a significant number of low paid civil servants working in it - who the local economy relys on - I save money from my Department's budget pot. But a lot of those civil servants aren't that much better off working and a big amount of money my Department saves comes out the big pot through DWP benefit payments as there are no jobs where they come from.

Then local businesses are affected and people go bust, meaning more cost to the government and the area gets even more depressed. So saving x amount from one Department's budget can actually end up saving the country little, or even costing it more! Politicians seem unable to look beyond the one pot though! Being able to, would help them find some growth, but you have to try to stimulate it in times like these, not hope it magically appears.

Also, money doesn't disappear when it is spent - it circulates and low paid workers spend more of it in this country. If people are too frightened to spend the little money they have, it does very little.
  • Options

Im reading this to prepare.

Available at all good book sellers. ;)

• Options
    Armed with a years supply of chicken dinners i'll be barricading myself into the Tottenham court rd branch of Spearmint Rhino.
  • Options

Im reading this to prepare.

Available at all good book sellers. ;)

Haha. Did make me laugh.

Bear Grylls will be on repeat for the unforeseeable future...
  • Options
    Out of all the crap that a future in this country holds, I find the gap between the average house price and the average wage the most astonishing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267981/Housing-market-First-time-buyers-need-60-000-deposit-end-decade.html
  • Options
    The housing ladder will simply cease to exist. Home ownership will just be handed down from generation to generation. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. It's a simple fact of a capitalist system. It will end in a revolution. It's all an inevitable part of human existance. There's no alternative and it's a cycle that will continually repeat itself.
  • Options
    Our housing model has always been slightly weird. In Europe, renting properties is a lot more popular than over here where owning our houses is the norm.
  • Options
    Sorry but what does investing ingold add to the national or global economy?