Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Two Jobs

13»

Comments

• Options
    TCE,im stationed at Lambeth mate. Yep,unfortunately Downham is on the to close list,bit of a strange one that as that estate is a bugger to get onto. Where were you?

• Options
    2 jobs should not be allowed. Overtime should also be banned. The self employed should NOT take on extra work and work longer days. It's just greedy and selfish.
  • Options

@Redvalleyeast

As someone on the inside of the LFB, how do you see things? Do you think there is going to be a squeeze on staffing levels and a change in shift patterns in order to get fewer people to cover the workload?

Would be very interested in your comments on this in view of the current station closures.

Its difficult to say at the moment OA. If im totally honest im pretty sure any firefighter will say that we can cope with 12 fewer stations,as i think we can. Im also pretty sure that although the Fire Brigade Union is spouting off at the moment,unless you are posted at one of the stations due to close then they are going to be hard pushed to get any backing for industrial action,i for one will not vote yes and no one at my station to my knowledge would either. Every public service is being cut and we are no different,nor should we be. Theres been much said about 520 job 'losses'. Thats rubbish too,we stopped recruiting in 2011,thats 300 recruits a year which we dont have now, plus there are people retiring every week,thats where the 520 figure comes from. We have changed our shift patterns fairly recently so i wouldnt think management have any plans to do so again so soon.
    Thanks for that, very interesting.
  • Options
    In terms of people in the Emergency Services, my son has a kid in his class whose Dad is a police officer here in Brisbane, he actually works in a pretty rough part of town here.

My wife got chatting to this blokes wife and she said he NEVER talks about the job, his son (7) doesn't even really understand that he is a police officer, he leaves the house in his civvies and comes home in his civvies, like a normal office worker.

This guy simply NEVER talks about his work, when his wife asks "How was your day?" he will just reply "Fine" "Good" or whatever and change the subject, he tells her that the only way he can cope with the dangers of the job (bearing in mind there is quite a lot of gun crime here, more than you would expect) is to shut it off from his family life completely.

In fact, his wife was clearing out some drawers at their house and found a "Commendation for Bravery" certificate where her husband had charged an armed robber and disarmed him - yet he never said a word about it to her.

She showed him the certificate when he got home and challenged him as to why he had not told her about what happened, "I don't want you to worry about me so I just don't talk about what happens at work."
  • Options
    We should all work for the state and call each other comrade. What's with all these capitalist pigs wanting to earn a little bit more money?
  • Options

TCE,im stationed at Lambeth mate. Yep,unfortunately Downham is on the to close list,bit of a strange one that as that estate is a bugger to get onto. Where were you?

Blackwall or before "London Burning" tarted the place up a bit it B24 Dockhead

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Blackwall or before "London Burning" tarted the place up a bit it B24 Dockhead

Know it very well,plenty of outduties there,its probably not changed much since you left if im honest :)
  • Options
    Great nights in the Swan and Sugarloaf. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Addickted said:

I have two jobs.

My main one which pays the bills and the second one which I do for free and is far more rewarding.

Same here. But I also do the second job so that I can get in full time, and that's in the emergency services.
  • Options

What other people do is none of my business.
    If its a banker getting 250k bonus, a tube driver getting 40k+ or a fireman working on the side. They all do what they do to get by in their worlds.
    Hopefully the more people earn the more they spend and that money trickles down and around.
    I never worry about what others, outside my family, have or do.
    I have a brother-inlaw who is a fireman/plasterer, as far as I'm concerned he can push as much plaster up walls, in his spare time, as he wants. What ever he gets from the fire service and his part time job aint enough for me to get the old green eyes going.
    Shovelling up and bagging bodies dont pay enough for me to get envious.

That's exactly my view Keston.