Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Two Jobs

Picking up on a few comments in the helicopter thread about Firemen and Policemen having two jobs. In these times of high unemployment should this sort of thing be discouraged?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2013

Picking up on a few comments in the helicopter thread about Firemen and Policemen having two jobs. In these times of high unemployment should this sort of thing be discouraged?

It's not for you or me to tell people how to live their lives in my opinion so long as they act within the law.

If the main job doesn't pay enough then often there is no other option but to take a second job or alternatively, old fashioned as it seems, some families would rather have a parent look after the children rather than farm them out to anonymous nurseries or childminders which could necessitate a second job to enable that to happen.

At least these people are working and providing for themselves.

• Options
    Yes definately. How dare people with families to provide for consider taking on another job when there are plenty of people happy not to work and live off the state.
    Disgusting!
  • Options
    Yes Len but these are not badly paid jobs, maybe the other job could go to someone who has no job.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Yes definately. How dare people with families to provide for consider taking on another job when there are plenty of people happy not to work and live off the state.
    Disgusting!

Sorry, I forgot everyone unemployed is a ponce.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Yes Len but these are not badly paid jobs, maybe the other job could go to someone who has no job.

One assumes that if the vacancy exists those with no job either didn't want it or weren't qualified for it.

The "second jobs" are often not proper jobs in the sense that they are casual and part time rather than regular and full time anyway.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

One assumes that if the vacancy exists those with no job either didn't want it or weren't qualified for it.

The "second jobs" are often not proper jobs in the sense that they are casual and part time rather than regular and full time anyway.

fair point.
  • Options
    I know people who have to do 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet and historically this has been the case too (my father an example some 30 odd years ago)

If you can do it then do it - whether it's needs must or not it's good to be working and earning and providing for your family. On top of that if it means you are less of a burden on the state (in fact contributing more by paying more tax) then its all good.

If it's undeclared income then you are a turd and if you still feel the need for industrial action when your salary is greater than people in similar lines of work who are often doing longer hours then you should take a look at yourself in the mirror
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    When I was first married with a very young family, I took on a second job 4 evenings a week.
    It was the only way to make ends meet in the Thatcher years, with punishing mortgage rates soaring to 16%.

Absolutely knackering on top of my regular 9-5 job.

Looking back, I don't know how I kept going at the time.
    Doesn't do much for your relationship either!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Disgusting!

That's EXACTLY what I said isn't it?

Really, some people!

Anyway I thought unemployment had been constantly falling over the last 12m or so?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Disgusting!

Really, some people!

Anyway I thought unemployment had been constantly falling over the last 12m or so?
    Im pretty sure threads like this are only started to have a row, why people shouldnt have 2 jobs I dont know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I say no. I used a contractor to repair my roof and he subbed to fireman who thought he could repair a roof in his spare time. The result - additional damage to my wallet to get his botched job put right. Grrr...
  • Options

I say no. I used a contractor to repair my roof and he subbed to fireman who thought he could repair a roof in his spare time. The result - additional damage to my wallet to get his botched job put right. Grrr...

Oh well that's that then.

Next topic?

• Options
    shine166 said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Disgusting!

Really, some people!

Im pretty sure threads like this are only started to have a row, why people shouldnt have 2 jobs I dont know.
    My point exactly, I was just trying to be a little more subtle though.

• Options
    Probably because more people can't be arsed to sign on, with all the hassle it entails. Loads like me who want to work,sign on with agencies and hope for the best.
    1 days work since christmas.
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Nathan
  • Options
    Not at all Shine. If people have the time and energy to do 2 jobs good luck to them but I am curious how the unemployed see it.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

shine166 said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Disgusting!

Really, some people!

My point exactly, I was just trying to be a little more subtle though.

I think you're on the wrong thread, try Jokes.
  • Options
    You can't live in a police state if someone's work schedule allows them enough time to do a second job so be it, it's their free time and they are entitled to use it how they want. Where it goes wrong and I know in the case of a number of fireman the second job has either taken over their lives or worse they have got injured doing it and then expect The Brigade to stump up with diability retirement and that is not right.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Disgusting!

Really, some people!

You seem to be very angry... ?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Disgusting!

Really, some people!

You seem to be very angry... ?
    Not at all, it was just such a crass comment, as was the whole idea of this thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you want the jargon it was called portfolio working by some management gurus in the 90s to describe earning money in different ways.

In reality working people have often had to have multiple jobs, often low skilled or low paid and often done by woman with fewer options. My mum was a dinner lady(midday meal supervisor now), delivered stuff and working down the lane (petticoat) on a sunday.

It was and is how some people earn enough to get by. Not everyone has or wants a saleried PAYE job.
  • Options
    My Dad had three jobs, worked in an oil refinary in Silvertown, taught swimming to adults and kids for the ILEA and put up For Sale boards etc for a local easte agents. Worked bloody hard but I didn't appriciate it at the time.
  • Options
    I'm a father and a lover.
  • Options
    I thought my dad must have had two jobs as a kid, but as I grew older I realised his second job was spent propping up the pub!
  • Options
    If to make ends meet you need to find a second job then I don't see a problem with that whatsoever. Better option than trying to gamble the additional money into your life.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Agree, Plaaaayer - 2 of the hardest jobs to do.

;o)

• Options
    I've gone through periods of having two or sometimes three jobs at a time. I once worked two 8 hour contracts a day for five months because I didn't want to leave an old employer in the lurch. Needs must.
  • Options

Not at all, it was just such a crass comment, as was the whole idea of this thread.

Riviera. I posed a question.
    This is my view.

Not at all Shine. If people have the time and energy to do 2 jobs good luck to them but I am curious how the unemployed see it.

But if I were unemployed I would be a bit miffed at those in well paid jobs doing another on the side.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Plaaayer said:

Agree, Plaaaayer - 2 of the hardest jobs to do.

;o)

And often the most thankless!
  • Options
    serious question - do the employment contracts of say police and firemen permit them to do other paid work?