Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wilko Johnson

Comments

• Options

what a fraud.........says he is dying so people go out & buy his LAST album and once its has sold bucket loads he tells everyone he;s now ok. At least Elvis, Janis Joplin & the 2 Jimi's had the decency to die before really making their fortunes........

Haven't you got enough on your plate?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Jesus Golfie, put a smilie on your bollocks.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

what a fraud.........says he is dying so people go out & buy his LAST album and once its has sold bucket loads he tells everyone he;s now ok. At least Elvis, Janis Joplin & the 2 Jimi's had the decency to die before really making their fortunes........

Even if this is a joke it makes you sound like a total fuckin tool.
  • Options

Not your finnest moment.
  • Options
    Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey win Album of the Year

Classic Rock Awards, put on by the people at Classic Rock magazine, came to the U.S. last night with the 2014 ceremony being held in Los Angeles.

This year, the word classic was taken very seriously with veteran artists taking every award except (naturally) for the Best New Band and a relatively new singer in support of a classic band.

Winners included Ozzy Osbourne, Dave Mustaine, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Gregg Allman, Joe Perry, Eric Burdon and the relatively new pairings of Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey and Queen + Adam Lambert.

Held at the Avalon Ballroom, the evening was hosted by Sammy Hagar along with such luminaries as Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Scott Ian of Anthrax, Henry Rollins and Eric Idle. Gregg Allman, who has been having a pretty good week with the triumphant final performance by the Allman Brothers, a new solo tour and his release from the Midnite Rider lawsuit, took home the Living Legend award which was presented to him by Billy Gibbons.

It was also a good night for the Osbourne family as Sharon was presented with the VIP award and Ozzy won Classic Album for his Blizzard of Ozz.

One of the most emotional spots of the night was the Album of the Year going to Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey for Going Back Home. The acceptance speech was done via video as Johnson is continuing to recuperate from his life saving operation for pancreatic cancer.

Led Zeppelin, who just released the deluxe edition of Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy on Tuesday, took Reissue of the Year for the June releases of the expanded Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III.

The full list of winners:

Living Legend: Gregg Allman
    Inspiration: The Doors
    Band of the Year: Queen + Adam Lambert
    Film of the Year: Through the Never - Metallica
    Album of the Year: Going Back Home - Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey
    Classic Album: Blizzard of Ozz - Ozzy Osbourne
    Outstanding Contribution: Jeff Lynne
    Reissue of the Year: Led Zeppelin I: Deluxe Edition, Led Zeppelin II: Deluxe Edition, Led Zeppelin III: Deluxe Edition - Led Zeppelin
    Maestro: Joe Perry
    Metal Guru: Dave Mustaine
    The Bluesman: Eric Burdon
    The VIP: Sharon Osbourne
    Best New Band: The Cadillac Three
  • Options
    Flagged him?!!? Wilko would have laughed at that. Sheeeez
  • Options
    what a fraud.........says he is dying so people go out & buy his LAST album and once its has sold bucket loads he tells everyone he;s now ok. At least Elvis, Janis Joplin & the 2 Jimi's had the decency to die before really making their fortunes

What an absolute bell end you are golfaddick
  • Options
    I actually saw the funny side in Golfies comment. He just needs to work on his delivery a bit more........

• Options
    edited November 2014

I actually saw the funny side in Golfies comment. He just needs to work on his delivery a bit more........

Same here. Does anyone on here honestly think he meant it as anything other than a joke
  • Options
    Wilko is playing the New Cross inn on Saturday with Norman Watt-Roy I see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

Wilko is playing the New Cross inn on Saturday with Norman Watt-Roy I see.

On Sunday 7th, have to book on-line, still 30ish tickets left.
    £8.80.

• Options
    My boy plays there quite a bit, never knew I had a son so talented. I must go and see one of his gigs.
  • Options
    It's going to be filmed by Julian Temple.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I dont get this Soapy.
    I mean I totally agree with the words, but why here?

• Options
    Golfies comments were tongue in cheek. He could of placed the words, "THIS POST IS TONGUE IN CHEEK PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AT ALL SERIOUSLY" at the top, bottom and at several points in the post and still there would of been brain donors on here ready to jump down his throat.

THIS POST IS TONGUE IN CHEEK PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AT ALL SERIOUSLY
  • Options
    Ah ok I get it now.
    I was confused by the delay since Golfie's post!
  • Options
    Top stuff by Norman at the New Cross Inn plus cameo by Wilco who thinks he's royalty now..............own camera crew and entourage. LOL
    Used to scrape a 100 if he was lucky at the Amersham back in the 90's.
    Still Norman got a great crowd even if most were there for Wilco.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's Wilko! Wilco is someone else completely.

Chatted with Wilko after the gig - he is scheduled to be playing 40 dates in the States with The Who!

The film crew was Julian Temple (Oil City Confidential director who ignited Wilko's resurgence) producing his new movie. Wilko certainly doesn't think he is royalty - ridiculously wide of the mark for such an unassuming bloke, which I guess you know as you added a smiley! Chatted away to all and sundry backstage telling the few nervous fans to relax and have a beer.

He had been filming in London all evening amongst the Christmas lights.

Norman and Wilko recording next week and due to be on Jools Holland show.

Like on his last tour, Norman wanted Wilko along not for ticket sales, but because Norman is extremely nervous with his own band and Wilko calms him down!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going in to have an operation similar to the one Wilko had next Tuesday. Admittedly not quite as extreme but having part of my pancreas removed during a 6 hour operation I'm somewhat apprehensive. His inspirational story does give me confidence that I can get over my "whipple" operation though and the positive is they are very confident what they are taking out is benign. Two weeks in Kings College Hospital will mean way too much time on here and I wonder who will have replaced Luzon by then! Hoping I'll be back in some decent shape to get to the Hudds game and give SCP the welcome he deserves ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Nug said:

Going in to have an operation similar to the one Wilko had next Tuesday. Admittedly not quite as extreme but having part of my pancreas removed during a 6 hour operation I'm somewhat apprehensive. His inspirational story does give me confidence that I can get over my "whipple" operation though and the positive is they are very confident what they are taking out is benign. Two weeks in Kings College Hospital will mean way too much time on here and I wonder who will have replaced Luzon by then! Hoping I'll be back in some decent shape to get to the Hudds game and give SCP the welcome he deserves ;)

Nug .. all the VERY best .. for what it's worth, I have had major surgery to remove a cancerous tumor or two and I am still staggering about in pretty good health .. have faith in the surgeons and the (usually) wonderful after surgery support nurses and therapists .. above all, try not to worry, easy to say, but worry and stress are the biggest allies of cancer and reduce your body's capacity for healing ..

Whatever .. get well soon .. I say again all the very best in fighting this pernicious disease .. year by year remember that survival and clearances rates for cancers of all sorts get better and better
  • Options
    Good luck @Nug, I'm sure all will be ok, will be thinking of you.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Nug, I wish you the best of luck. Praying that it works out.
    Something like this puts into perspective the toys out of the pram angst that has beset CL over the past few days.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I couldn't be in better hands really, Kings is a centre for this type of thing and I've been monitored for a couple of years, seems like it's too risky to leave now. Was thinking of going to Watford with my young son on Saturday but decided I wanted to be in a "happy place" before surgery!
  • Options
    Good luck, Nug.

Wishing you a speedy recovery afterwards.

• Options
    Good luck Nug hope it all goes well and your back cheering the reds on soon.
  • Options
    Best wishes to you Nug.
  • Options
    Thanks, last day of work today for a couple of months, weird feeling.