Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wilko Johnson

Comments

• Options
    Agree Saga I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Feelgood when they played at Hammersmith many years ago a great bunch of lads and I was absolutely mesmerised by Wilko great player and a great stage persona. Underestimated as a player who has influenced a lot of other guitarists such as Paul Weller and Johnny Marr. Guitarits like Wilko are living proof that there is more to the instrument than flashy, show off solo's. I wish him well.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Absolutely brilliant from the Master and Inspiration that is Wilko! Keep rocking

Perhaps he missed his true vocation when he gave up teaching ;-)

• Options
    Greenie said:

My band supported Wilco a few times back in the late 80's. We had a few beers post gigs, he was 'lively' to say the least. Top player and one of a kind. His live version of 'Wooly Bully' has stayed with me all these years later. Brilliant. Thoughts are with him and his family.

What Band were you in Greenie?
  • Options
    Blinding album offered on ITunes at the moment - Doctor Feelgood, All through The City (with Wilko 1974 -1977) 70 tracks £12.99 well worth the money, playing it now.
  • Options
    Wilko is a legend and this is sad news indeed.

First saw Dr Feelgood at Canterbury Odeon in 1978 I think (supported by Squeeze) and they were awesome. Saw Wilko and the Solid Senders at Gravesend Woodville Halls a little and it was possibly the best gig I have ever seen. What a performer..

A couple of years ago had the privilege of seeing him in Whitstable with Ian Dury's bass player and it brought back so many happy memories.

Great work Wilko and sorry to hear the news.

• Options

Greenie said:

My band supported Wilco a few times back in the late 80's. We had a few beers post gigs, he was 'lively' to say the least. Top player and one of a kind. His live version of 'Wooly Bully' has stayed with me all these years later. Brilliant. Thoughts are with him and his family.

What Band were you in Greenie?
    We were called 'Splashback' - (I know, but we were young)
    As an aside we have just got back together after 20+ years apart. I have no idea why, it seemed like a good idea after a few beers, rehearsing, gigs soon. Kev Portch of 'Goodbye Horse' fame is the bass player.
  • Options

Guitarists like Wilko are living proof that there is more to the instrument than flashy, show off solo's. I wish him well.

So, so true Dave - give me the riff to "She Does It Right" over anything done by the likes of Satriani, Vai & any other technically brilliant but dull as dishwater virtuoso.
  • Options

A couple of years ago had the privilege of seeing him in Whitstable with Ian Dury's bass player and it brought back so many happy memories.

It sounds sad but I love his one word intro on I Wanna Be Straight, "Wilko"!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    On the Front Row on Radio 4 at the mo' talking about his diagnosis and the farewell tour., etc Well worth a listen to hear him talk about it.
  • Options
    I heard that Radio thing earlier, came across as a really top bloke, very moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Top bloke, fantastic interview. I'd like to think that if ever I was in his situation I'd be half as positive.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21187740
  • Options
    Very moving stuff. A legend.

Saw report that his farewell tour had already sold out but touts are offering tickets for 10x cover price.

Unbelievable. Cashing in on terminal cancer.
  • Options
    Saw Feelgood a few times but all after he'd left. Saw him as the Wilko Johnson band a few times and he was the first guitarist I'd seen live that left me feeling absolutely blown away.

Looked great as the executioner in Game of thrones too (First thig I thought whilst watching was "Wow, that guy looks like Wilko Johnson", unaware at the time that it was indeed him).

Completely understand his reasons for refusing treatment. Will be a very sad day when we're all back on here adding R.I.P..........................................
  • Options
    That radio interview yesterday was quite humbling. Good luck on your journey Wilko, at the end when it comes you will have left a legacy that you can be proud of.
  • Options
    Had to cancel his final two gigs on Canvey Island as he is feeling too unwell - poor bloke

:(
  • Options
    Very sad news Oakster.
  • Options
    Very sad. I never saw him play but was in the audience when he was guest of honour for Oil City Confidential at the Southend film festival. I know lots of people that have met him, but never anyone that's had a bad word to say about him.
  • Options
    Gutted. Top man Wilko.
  • Options
    The legend will never die.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand interviewed him recently for Big Issue. Very moving article.
  • Options

Very sad news, Big big hero for me.

When I heard the news of his farewell tour and that tickets had been hoovered up by touts, I treated myself to Oil City Confidential DVD and the soundtrack.

Still feels as raw, edgy and dangerous as it did when I was 17.
  • Options
    Next few gigs cancelled, lets hope he has a fair few more good days and gigs to come.
  • Options
    I'm sure I saw Wilko play down in the Tram Shed.
  • Options
  • Options
    Haha like that. Like that a lot...
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Wilko
  • Options
    Will be sadly missed, a great man. Happy B'day Wilko
  • Options
    A musician friend told me earlier this week that Wilko is rallying and even considering playing some more gigs. I am old enough to remember seeing Dr Feelgood play at the Kensington pub in Russell Gardens in the mid-70s: a storming good gig.