Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday v. Charlton 2012 Post-match News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Would like to see BWP and Haynes up front , that would be an interesting combo
  • Options

I think we are where I hoped we'd be. Our position reflects our expenditure and the inexperience of our manager. We have done well lately whilst, if we are being honest, flattering to deceive. The last two result bring us back down to earth and that's fine so long as we regroup and pick up some points at home. I'm confident that we will not go down. But don't let's pretend we are play off material. Im neither suicidal nor delusionally optimistic. We are just ticking along as a lower mid championship side. That's fine.

100% bang on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Don't understand all the gloom. It wasn't brilliant today but I thought we played some good stuff in patches. Started brightly and looked up for it - Wilson in particular.

Morrison gave away a cheap corner and their bloke smacks one in from the edge of the box. Thought we dominated the second half and were unlucky not to get something out of the game in the end, but then if we didn't get that penalty decision then nothing was ever gonna go our way. And if our pig chum says it was a pen then you know it must've been.

Not surprised by the reaction of some though - typical charlton fans.
  • Options
    I am afraid Wednesday are as poor a side as I've seen in this league and we didn't have the nous to unlock a defence with Llera at the heart of it. Who didn't have a clue today? Owls will no doubt be singing his praises. a side with top half aspirations has to take points off Wednesday. Just about everyone else has, so very disappointing.

I loved Yann last season but today he was very ineffective. So why did SCP leave him on for the full 90 when he was making no impact? The subs were strange. We needed Fuller on sooner and why leave it so late for the double sub when w e were chasing the game? Late subs are for when we are defending a lead surely? Get em on sooner when it's not working! So what exactly was our formation after the substitutions? Looked vaguely like Wilson and Yann in central midfield. Very odd.
  • Options

I am afraid Wednesday are as poor a side as I've seen in this league and we didn't have the nous to unlock a defence with Llera at the heart of it. Who didn't have a clue today? Owls will no doubt be singing his praises. a side with top half aspirations has to take points off Wednesday. Just about everyone else has, so very disappointing.

I loved Yann last season but today he was very ineffective. So why did SCP leave him on for the full 90 when he was making no impact? The subs were strange. We needed Fuller on sooner and why leave it so late for the double sub when w e were chasing the game? Late subs are for when we are defending a lead surely? Get em on sooner when it's not working! So what exactly was our formation after the substitutions? Looked vaguely like Wilson and Yann in central midfield. Very odd.

We were poor? We could have had 4 at half time mate, you came into the game in the second half I admit but it was expected but you never tested Kirkland once all game, where as we tested Hamer time and time again and beat him twice, yes we have lots of new players that haven't gelled but we've just won two in a row and kept two clean sheets, maybe we're on our way out of the bloody long rut we've been in eh?
  • Options

Couldn't have summed it up better myself. Hulse and Fuller to start Boxing Day?
  • Options
    Who's BWP?
  • Options
    Piggy, I am disappointed because we didn't play as we can today. I have seen a lot of games this season and if we had kept it on the deck and played to our strength we would have got something. Perhaps I am being harsh but Weds did look limited to me. A definite case for singing "you're cr@p but you're beating us". Doesn't feel good, especially as I know my Owl mates are going to be patronising about what a good game it was and how well they played. I may even get to hear how you are now going to storm into the playoffs.

We didn't do enough to get points today. But I am confident we have the squad and the manager to stay up. Can you honestly say you feel the same?
  • Options
    Just watched the goals. 2nd goal Jacko was given a head start and still got done for pace.
  • Options

Piggy, I am disappointed because we didn't play as we can today. I have seen a lot of games this season and if we had kept it on the deck and played to our strength we would have got something. Perhaps I am being harsh but Weds did look limited to me. A definite case for singing "you're cr@p but you're beating us". Doesn't feel good, especially as I know my Owl mates are going to be patronising about what a good game it was and how well they played. I may even get to hear how you are now going to storm into the playoffs.

We didn't do enough to get points today. But I am confident we have the squad and the manager to stay up. Can you honestly say you feel the same?

No I can't, the way we have started this season we've been dire, today we seemed dogged, in terms of tackling, blockings and passing it more to feet, time will tell but if we do sign the players in January then we might just escape, we have quite a few young lads that will come good too, but we weren't poor like you say, you were pinned back in the first half mate after waves of attacks by us, apart from the early cross that eluded everyone you did nothing in the first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No I can't, the way we have started this season we've been dire, today we seemed dogged, in terms of tackling, blockings and passing it more to feet, time will tell but if we do sign the players in January then we might just escape, we have quite a few young lads that will come good too, but we weren't poor like you say, you were pinned back in the first half mate after waves of attacks by us, apart from the early cross that eluded everyone you did nothing in the first half.
    Yeah, we did nothing in the first half - other than the moves for the blatant penalty and the disallowed goal. But you carry on old son, it's fun watching you mug yourself over time and again.
  • Options
    it's got to be a BWP/Haynes and Hulse/Fuller up front. At the moment, I would go for a Hulse and Haynes. Yann off the bench near the end. Pritchard back in, preferable the middle.
  • Options

it's got to be a BWP/Haynes and Hulse/Fuller up front.

Yep, okay

. At the moment, I would go for a Hulse and Haynes.

Er, but you just said . ;-)

• Options
    By the way the pen appeal looked a stone Waller, I've just seen it on tv, I'm gonna go back on it, I think the ref called it right now, don't know who it was that went down but it was way to easy, REDA hardly touched him.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

By the way the pen appeal looked a stone Waller, I've just seen it on tv, I'm gonna go back on it, I think the ref called it right now, don't know who it was that went down but it was way to easy, REDA hardly touched him.

I think the song choice here is:

'Where were you when you were sh**!?'

Full of analysis and philosophy now but can't remember hearing from you when you were on that losing streak. Funny that.
  • Options

I hope the game at yours is played on a Saturday, love my trips to the valley

It is, just over a month away. Sat 26th Jan. Woolwich has a Travelodge for £29.

Depends if either of us progress in the cup.
  • Options
    I"m happy for Wednesday fans to come on here and talk about the game when we're playing against them and the odd update on semedo and llera but personally I'm not wanting regular updates from events at Hillsborough , so I'm happy for them to disappear until next time , still each to their own
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Following the game will CP get an automatic touchline ban? Did someone say Wilson was suspended for Boxing day? Why did Sullivan replace Button on the bench?

Edit

Looks like this answers some of the question,

"But it was Sutton's failure to award a penalty after Yann Kermorgant appeared to be fouled in the box towards the end of the first half which led to Powell being dismissed, though the Addicks boss was told it was not an 'official' red card."

Unofficial red cards, whats that about?
  • Options

Not sure I agree mate. Yann should have won us a penalty but for a dreadful decision from the ref and was involved in our best opportunity in the 2nd half when he headed back across only for Haynes to spurn the opportunity. Can't believe all the gloom on here. We've just come off the back of a decent spell of games unbeaten, which given our injuries and suspensions is nothing short of a miracle. We had to move in the second half as people around us were so negative it was unreal. Overall, thought we played pretty well in patches, coming unstuck against a wonder goal and another when we were chasing the game. Agree in part that the long ball stuff was not that effective but given the amount of rain, maybe it wasn't a day for pretty football ?
  • Options
    The great run of 7 games undefeated is morphing in to a bad run of 2 pts from 4 games !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lost 3 in 10. Fight the gloom!
  • Options
    Where was Dale Stephens yesterday?
  • Options
    Suspended
  • Options

Powell out

Guess we better change the banner at the top of the site then...."99.99% Support".
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Can't understand some of Powell's decisions this season. Hulse was getting better every game and had started scoring, but was dropped. Cort was dropped for no reason. Pritchard had just scored his first league goal and was obviously on a high, but was dropped the next game. I think we are badly missing Pritchards energy in midfield as Frimpong doesn't seem to be putting in Premier League class performances. The blend of the team was working well but due to all the changes has lost it's way and we have once again reverted to pumping long balls up to Yann.

Exactly. I said this on the pre match thread and got castigated. Hulse is our best target man since Andy Hunt and like Cort did not deserve to be dropped. The same with Pritchard.

To my mind this is foolhardy tinkering that has cost us two defeats. Powell is too slow to react to his errors. He played BWP too long, has a blind spot with Kermorgant in this league and made a disastrous rod for his own back by retaining JJ as captain. Just seen the second goal on tv and his part in it was embarrassing - I have seen milk turn quicker.

Frimpong has been a disappointment for me and my patience with Kerkar finally ran out at Millwall.

Tbf I agree with some of this in terms with kerm, altho not Yanns fault .

I absolutely love CP but I think he needs to realise its the best TEAM available not the best players.

We are so one dimensional when Kermogant plays.

Cannot stand the lump it football we play at times.

Get the ball into the forwards feet or get Haynes in down the sides of the centre halfs.

Come on Charlton we are better than that.

Two wins against Ipswich and Derby and we can start lookin up rather than down.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Sod the Charlton life badges, I've just ordered a whole pallet load of Charlton Life branded razor blades ... roll on up ....

• Options
    Thanks Scoham, I thought he might have been left out to be sold.
  • Options
    Brilliant!

Can you also do an Into the Valley version?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I'll have a go, but I'm not a member of ITV so not really sure of the look.
  • Options
    Although I had a 400 mile round trip drive yesterday which involved driving a car for nearly 10 hours , what I really want to know is did AFKA make it out of Tescos yesterday, or is he still in there?