Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday v. Charlton 2012 Post-match News & Views

edited December 2012 in General Charlton
A. After another seemingly disappointing result, we've got this league just where we want it! After a mediocre first half of the season, we've thoroughly convinced everyone that we're nothing special on the pitch. Bit of January business and we storm the second half right into promotion.

B. We're right where we deserve to be and we'll stay that way till the end. Aim to stay up and consolidate.

Comments

• Options
    Sod the Charlton life badges, I've just ordered a whole pallet load of Charlton Life branded razor blades ... roll on up ....
  • Options
    Just disappointed with recent tinkering.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Shit. Thought we'd do well today as well :/
    Edit: The shit wasn't a statement of how we played, I am not aware of that, just a reaction to the score.
  • Options
    Kermorgant out, Hulse in please. Despite how much I love him, we've looked poor up top since the Frenchman's come back in.
  • Options
    No settled side, too much tinkering, poor use of subs. As previous week.
  • Options
    Listened to the game. Frustrating, but we're a mid table side, we're going to lose some games.

Over on Into The Valley, Reams seems to be loving being proven right by "the clown known as Chris Powell".

Let's hope the board (whoever they are/even if there's a takeover) are more realistic and patient. Powell will keep learning and if there's money to spend in January he'll improve this squad.
  • Options
    Powells biggest mistake today was digging out the ref and getting sent to the stands. Not 'tinkering'.
  • Options
    I think we are where I hoped we'd be. Our position reflects our expenditure and the inexperience of our manager. We have done well lately whilst, if we are being honest, flattering to deceive. The last two result bring us back down to earth and that's fine so long as we regroup and pick up some points at home. I'm confident that we will not go down. But don't let's pretend we are play off material. Im neither suicidal nor delusionally optimistic. We are just ticking along as a lower mid championship side. That's fine.
  • Options
    Very disappointing result following the defeat at bolton and with peterborough and barnsley also winning ipswich on boxing day is now a big game. We don't want those below us getting any closer.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Let's hope the board (whoever they are/even if there's a takeover) are more realistic and patient. Powell will keep learning and if there's money to spend in January he'll improve this squad.

Absolutely agree Scoham. Powell is the man to take us forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    end the season now and i'd be happy .....
    we're 18 pts and 16 teams from the top and 10 pts and only 7 teams from the bottom or
    8 pts and 11 teams from a play off spot or 8 pts and 5 teams from the relegation zone.....safety is our priority and i'm looking down not up (for a change)

sounded as dull and as much as a non event as last weeks fixture was and the predictable 2-0 defeat followed

we're carrying a few players atm and you can't do that in this division, hopefully January will bring some fresh blood to bolster the ranks

as much as i love Yann he doesn't appear to be up to scratch atm and Rob Hulse prolly deserves to start , Haynes and his obligatory sitter missed is imo not good enough to be starting at this level and Kerkar is another player who doesn't warrant a starting place either i'd rather JJ out on the left flank.

still plenty of time to sort things out but 2 pts in 4 games is a worry , just when i thought we weren't that pony ,as i initially thought , we've gone back there aaaaaaaaaah

0% top 6 .......... 30% 7th-12th .... 63% 13th-21st..... 7% the big R boooooooooo
  • Options
    Concerning Chrissy being sent to the stands, you do have to wonder how dodgy the system is, as i personally doubt he was abusive towards the official, so if the ref seemingly make's a number of terrible decision's both of which conern one of the Wednesday players which would of changed the game for us, yet managers can't question him, surely respect has to go both ways?

• Options
    Not going to go on about today's result, despite how disappointing it was. We now have two winnable home matches coming up, so hopefully things can turn around just as it did a month ago.
  • Options

Concerning Chrissy being sent to the stands, you do have to wonder how dodgy the system is, as i personally doubt he was abusive towards the official, so if the ref seemingly make's a number of terrible decision's both of which conern one of the Wednesday players which would of changed the game for us, yet managers can't question him, surely respect has to go both ways?

You know for certain SCP wasn't abusive? Your whole argument is based upon an assumption.
  • Options
    Up and down season. Happy to stay in the league this year then use the Koc to push on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    To be clear we didn't deserve a 2-0 defeat today. For the first 15 it looked like they were there for the taking but a great strike knocked the stuffing out of us. We seemed to then revert back to the long ball when it was clear that if we kept it on the deck we would out football them. So for the next hour we played into theirs hands and kept punting it and they were happy to keep heading it back. Midfield were by and large bypassed and there was little threat to either goal. Last 15 we started to pass it again which suited both Green and Fuller and we looked a threat again only to ce caught on the break at the end. A draw would have been a fair result but Wednesday stuck to type and took what little they were able to muster. I think its obvious where we are short and January can't come soon enough.
  • Options
    Not there. Disappointed but not surprised. Bottom end mid third of the league team is where we're at. Increasingly obvious we have quite a bit of dead wood to shift and players to be brought in. I suspect that there are a few favourites that won't make the cull but football needs to be ruthless. No critisism of SCP from me. He's doing ok with the mediocre squad he has.
  • Options
    Worst side at Hillsborough this season..
  • Options
    edited December 2012

and still deserved something from the game eh?

Oh well, you won't have to play us again after this season. Enjoy league 1 next year...
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Pretty sure Wednesday are the worst side at Hillborough this season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Surely you are?
  • Options

Oh dear you must be getting battered every home game then. Do you create anything against these better sides ? or was your quote about Wednesday ?
  • Options
    In this league any game is winnable, so it follows any is losable which we duly did today.I thought we'd win, but then I didn't give us a prayer against Blackpool &Cardiff.
    No need to panic,this is simply the stuff of a mid table side which is what we are at present.

I do,however,fail to to see how Yann gets the nod over Hulse,and if Wilson is suspended on Boxing Day,I hope Green plays on right not that I'll be holding my breath.

No hand-wringing or blame,get behind the team...we'll be fine.
  • Options
    Spankie said:

You know for certain SCP wasn't abusive? Your whole argument is based upon an assumption.
    Well it is based on how he is as a person, i very much doubt he suddenly became the sort of manager who is calling the ref a cheat or various abusive words thet would make it ok to send a manager to the stands.

Seems like we all have to accept poor decision and managers/players can't talk to the ref either, make's no sense to me when the game is not being played at the time.
  • Options
    oh and yay the the Wednesday wums are back on our site, very weird people.
  • Options

Yeah, but you're stuck with Sheffield Wednesday for life so you need something to be snide about. Maybe you could look at the attitude of Sheffield United supporters to learn a bit of graciousness.
  • Options

You could be right. However Chris has had this happen before, he is experienced enough to avoid this passion or no passion. There is a way to 'play' refs, but it means all the players and management having a similar strategy, and it requires subtlety and restraint. Of course Chris is forgiven, but to rant at a tired ref as he trudges off at half-time, trying to keep face under the gaze of his fellow officials, he is bound to send you off, and face further bans in the future. Chris and Wilson banned for a resurgent Ipswich is a bad thing make no mistake about that.
    I love Chris, but on this one he has mucked up, and needs to get a grip.

• Options
    @AlanBiggs1: #cafc boss Powell tells me for FL show that he was angry about a goal ruled out for offside & a pen not given in 2-0 defeat at #swfc

@AlanBiggs1: Powell also complains that officials weren't miked up & says ref told him he was sent off to uphold "image of the game" after going on field
  • Options
    Lack of strength in midfield and pace/quality on the wings.
  • Options
    We'll still finish above them