Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Warman

2»

Comments

• Some faces you might remember from those days:
  • Remember a goal he scored against Blackburn in 78 after a long injury lay off. You could see how please the rest of the players were and thats always stayed with me, how popular he must have been within the team.
    The Swanley pub connection Len wrote about was I believe because the Lamb in Swanley was run by a fellow called Mo, a Charlton fan, who reckoned he looked liked Phil and there were various photos of the two in the pub. Think he sponsered a few games as well.
    Brother played for Bromley, family lived in Downham.
  • March51 said:

Some faces you might remember from those days:

Can name them all!
  • edited December 2012
    Used to play against him in the Eltham and District League in the mid to late 60's. He played for Lewisham Utd and it was between them and Welling Utd (before their rise to Spartan League) who won the league, both teams were full of Charlton and Millwall Colts and the rest of us were playing for 3rd place. Very competitive guy hated losing........ happy days :-)
  • I remember standing in the corner of the old South terrace during one game when Phil Warman had just started out on his career. Must have been late 60s/early 70s.
    A young Phil collected the ball for a goal kick and went to throw the ball back to our goalie, the great Charlie Wright.
    To everyone's amusement Charlie called to Phil and told him to put the ball down and kick it back to him as though a short goal kick had already been taken.
    Phil was way outside the goal area.
    After one protest I think, Phil obliged. He put the ball down and tapped it back to Charlie Wright. Charlie then carried on with play with an air of complete innocence.
    The ref and lino completely missed it.
    I can still see the opposing forward's despairing look as his complaints to the ref were dismissed. Classic.
  • Back row: Les Berry, Jimmy 'Farmer' Giles, Graham Tutt, Colin 'Paddy' Powell, Bobby Goldthorpe.

Middle: 'King' Arthur Horsfield, Bob Curtis, George Hope, Mark Penfold, 'arry Boy' Cripps, Ritchie Bowman,Mike 'Flash' Flanagan, Ray Tumbridge.

Front: Phil Warman,Peter Hunt, David Young, Derek 'Killer' Hales, Keith Peacock.
  • edited December 2012
    March51 said:

Back row: Les Berry, Jimmy 'Farmer' Giles, Graham Tutt, Colin 'Paddy' Powell, Bobby Goldthorpe.

Middle: 'King' Arthur Horsfield, Bob Curtis, George Hope, Mark Penfold, 'arry Boy' Cripps, Ritchie Bowman,Mike 'Flash' Flanagan, Ray Tumbridge.

Front: Phil Warman,Peter Hunt, David Young, Derek 'Killer' Hales, Keith Peacock.

Used to drink with Ray, friend of a friend, Abbey Wood lad smashing bloke no airs or graces went to Weymouth I think, very sad loss at such a relatively young age :-(
  • Phil is alive and well and living in Gravesend 6 doors along from me. Often see him in the morning coming home from work as a security officer. We talk about the old times and he still goes to the Valley to watch Charlton.
  • Also could have named them all, but I did dig deeep for George Hope though. First watched us in 71 and always liked Phil Warman, I remember a league cup game v peterborough (5-1) where he done an overhead kick clearance off the line.
  • McCartney said:

Remember a goal he scored against Blackburn in 78 after a long injury lay off. You could see how please the rest of the players were and thats always stayed with me, how popular he must have been within the team.
    The Swanley pub connection Len wrote about was I believe because the Lamb in Swanley was run by a fellow called Mo, a Charlton fan, who reckoned he looked liked Phil and there were various photos of the two in the pub. Think he sponsered a few games as well.
    Brother played for Bromley, family lived in Downham.

The fellow called Mo is Maurice (Mojo) White, one of Phil's best mates who was also a local DJ. They did look alike!

• Sponsored links:

• pettgra said:

One for the older lifers I guess.Whatever happened to Phil,I cannot remember him ever visiting the Valley.He was Charlton through and through and good mates with Killer,Paddy and Keith Peacock I think.I find that a shame considering his association with the club.He did not like wingers much did he!

Taxi driving in Medway I believe
  • Phil Warman was an old school friends uncle.

Remember getting his autograph in a birthday card when I was about 7.

Was that old school friend Keith?
  • March51 said:

Have that picture on my 4th bedroom wall!
  • March51 said:

Funny thing is I have much more affection for that lot then the current squad...just an age thing I guess, when I started going I was 5-6years old around 1970-71 and they were like hero's to me, I wish I could remember my first game but I can't even remember the exact year when I started going, wished my father had brought a programme at my first game and kept it in an envelope or something and wrote on it Michael's first game, but he didn't and I guess I will never be able to say what my first game was (amazes me how many people can remember that)....sad really but theres no way of finding out now...RIP Mum and Dad.
  • Hypnotism perhaps? {: )
  • Apologies for bringing up an old thread but had the pleasure of meeting Phil and chatting over a couple of pints at a pub in Gravesend last weekend. Nice guy
  • Don't do that to me. I always fear the worse, when someone dredges up an old name. Phew.
  • March51 said:

Funny thing is I have much more affection for that lot then the current squad...just an age thing I guess, when I started going I was 5-6years old around 1970-71 and they were like hero's to me, I wish I could remember my first game but I can't even remember the exact year when I started going, wished my father had brought a programme at my first game and kept it in an envelope or something and wrote on it Michael's first game, but he didn't and I guess I will never be able to say what my first game was (amazes me how many people can remember that)....sad really but theres no way of finding out now...RIP Mum and Dad.
    I'm just the same, @Hastingsaddick - know I went to my first match in early 70s but no idea which one. Dad used to go and buy a programme anyway so no clues there and he had no idea when I asked years later. All he could remember was me saying how good the goalie was on the way out when it was "that clown Charlie Wright". Every now and then I browse Colin Cameron 's book in the hope the match will somehow jump out at me!

Phil Warman, back on topic, was one of the first Charlton players I met at some darts evening which Dad took me too at the LESSA Club in Eltham (now Metrogas). I was starstruck!
  • Dick Tideman was one of my fav's when I first started going
  • edited July 2015
    Dick Tydeman :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• typo sorry
  • Don't do that to me. I always fear the worse, when someone dredges up an old name. Phew.

Feel the same especially as I'm mates with Phil's nephew.
  • Good old Phil. I remember him kicking this Brentford winger into orbit and landing about ten minutes later with an almighty thud.
    " Sorry about that mate, are you ok"? Quality!
  • One of my favourite players of that era and I always wore my football shirt not tucked in in homage to him
  • I was another one who thought this was an RIP, so very happy now. Phil was one of the constants when I first started going to the Valley with my Dad back in the seventies. Great defender, though clearly something did'nt work out back then as the Charlton team was famous for scoring lots of goals and conceeding lots of goals too.
  • I was another one who thought this was an RIP, so very happy now. Phil was one of the constants when I first started going to the Valley with my Dad back in the seventies. Great defender, though clearly something did'nt work out back then as the Charlton team was famous for scoring lots of goals and conceeding lots of goals too.

Phil & Bob, always entertaining, nervously watching that swashbuckling full back pairing.

Same here...started going 70-71.
  • March51 said:

Back row: Les Berry, Jimmy 'Farmer' Giles, Graham Tutt, Colin 'Paddy' Powell, Bobby Goldthorpe.

Used to drink with Ray, friend of a friend, Abbey Wood lad smashing bloke no airs or graces went to Weymouth I think, very sad loss at such a relatively young age :-(
    My classmate went out with him in 1974. Nice lad.

It was !

Sorry for the rather long time in replying.

Not seen Keith so far this year but will probably end up at an away game somewhere with him.

It was !

Sorry for the rather long time in replying.

Not seen Keith so far this year but will probably end up at an away game somewhere with him.
    Not seen him for a while wish him well if you see him b 4 me....he will know who you mean.