Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Warman

One for the older lifers I guess.Whatever happened to Phil,I cannot remember him ever visiting the Valley.He was Charlton through and through and good mates with Killer,Paddy and Keith Peacock I think.I find that a shame considering his association with the club.He did not like wingers much did he!

Comments

• Phil was in the first team when I first started to go to home games in 1977. My dad always liked him because he was a proper tryer. I'll always remember his goal against Blackburn at the covered end as I was standing on the East Terrace up that end and he whacked the ball in from about 10 yards and almost took the net off :)
  • edited December 2012
    He had associations with Downham and Bellingham cricket club, via his brother Johnny, some years back (as did Colin Powell and Steve Gritt) and I can remember a connection with either the Lamb or Red Lion in Swanley Village.

This was all years back though.
  • He was a player I remember well from when I first started going to games. He was a decent player too.
  • One of my Charlton heroes as a young lad. I think he was playing left back at the first game I attended at the Valley in 1970 alongside Bobby Curtis, Peter Reeves and Paul Went, with Charlie Wright in goal. Now that was a decent back line.
  • Cheers Len.That is an interesting link.
  • As a young player trying to break into the 1st team, he was a left winger.

Theo Foley converted him to left fullback - and it was the making of him.

Didn't he finish his career with a season at Smallwall?
  • Interestingly enough he was on a First Aid at Work course with one of our PA's earlier this week!

He works for the MOD now in security. Nice chap by all accounts

• Phew, I thought it was another RIP for a moment :-)
  • Oggy Red said:

Didn't he finish his career with a season at Smallwall?

Yes Oggy, I think he played one season for them in the early 80's and I think they were promoted that season as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• One of my favorites from days of old (oldish anyway). Never seemed to miss a game and always gave 100%. It's good to hear that he is still fit and thriving
  • Top bloke, Phil and a decent player. He alwats used to knock around with his 'look alike' Mojo White, a local DJ. Great memories of a terrific CAFC player.
  • One of the dressing room jokers.

Remember travelling back on the train with the team from a 5-0 drubbing at Plymouth Argyle, 1973 - some of the pranks he got up to!
  • As Lincs says one of my favs from the 70's. Got stuck in did the aptly named Mr Warman.
  • Wally Warman. Yeah was a top lad.
  • Totally commited and funnily enough reminds me on recollection, in that tenacious sort of way, of a left back version of the Solly. Or should it be the other way round?
  • He did a great impression of Norman Wisdom.
  • Loved him. Always had time for the crowd. Would be sent off every other week now the way he knocked players into the stands.
  • Seems loads of us started supporting in the mid-seventies! Was my dad's favourite and I can see why now.
  • And talking of past players. At the Uddersfield match Theo Foley introduced Harry Gregory to us at the table. We had to guess who is was but only my Millwall mate called it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Phil Warman was an old school friends uncle.

Remember getting his autograph in a birthday card when I was about 7.

• He used to love playing against John Cheidozi a nippy little winger with Orient. Warman would crunch him at the earliest opportunity and he posed no threat what so ever for the rest of the game. Scored some cracking over head kicks from corners as well.
  • Brian Moore: 'Now Warman............Powell's made a run.........Warman hasn't seen him........he has now......Powell crosses..... HALES!' Over thirty six years ago but that Hull game still seems like last week!
  • Remember Phil Warman missing a penalty, at home to Bolton I think.
  • March51 said:

Brian Moore: 'Now Warman............Powell's made a run.........Warman hasn't seen him........he has now......Powell crosses..... HALES!' Over thirty six years ago but that Hull game still seems like last week!

It would have been an even better goal if Warman had seen Powell the first time.

• I remember that Oggy, Charlie Wright was in goal for Bolton after his transfer. I think Phil W hit the post with Charlie going the wrong way. We got done 4-0 in the replay.
  • Fancy you remembering that penalty too, Marchy.

Yeah, Sir Charlie Wright in goal for Notlob.

• Scored the best OG Ive ever seen a full blown diving header that nearly took the net off
  • Anyone remember him getting sent off at the Old Den. Signed for them shortly after. They must have liked the way he hacked down one of theirs. Got injured in a car crash too with Eamonn Rogers. Seen him at games last season, so he's still about.
  • March51 said:

Brian Moore: 'Now Warman............Powell's made a run.........Warman hasn't seen him........he has now......Powell crosses..... HALES!' Over thirty six years ago but that Hull game still seems like last week!

What a goal that was.