Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Not much to call between the 2 finalists, with England very slight favourites.

On betfair currently:

Italy 3.05
    Draw 3.1
    England 2.8
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Candidates to referee the final?

Felix Byrch
    Cuneyt Cakir
    Bjorn Kuipers (read it’s likely to be him?)
  • Options
    Italy are clearly the favourites for the game. English betting companies have to put England at a low price because of the amount of money wagered. 

Do England swap to 3 at the back again for the final? 
  • Options
    I backed italy pre tournament so i suppose i win either way now!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Italy are clearly the favourites for the game. English betting companies have to put England at a low price because of the amount of money wagered. 

The prices i put up are from the Betfair exchange, they're not prices offered by a bookmaker.

I think @bobmunro has also previously said that in the modern day where everything is global and online the prices don't really differ so much.

Granted you'll probably get better odds on England at an independent local Italian bookie though.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    I backed italy pre tournament so i suppose i win either way now!
    snap 
  • Options

Why are they ‘clearly the favourites’???

England are playing at home. 
  • Options
    I'd put it at 50/50 really. 2 very good teams (with the emphasis on team). England have the deeper squad and the home crowd, but also more pressure to end 30 55 years of hurt
  • Options
    I think this is going to be a fantastic game. I honestly think we should be pretty confident of winning. Italy will struggle to keep up with the pace of our game and we will wear them down. The Danes last night were dead on their feet after an hour and I can see the same happening on Sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Hate the Sun but the headline is class.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Addickted said:
    Disappointed I've only just understood it
  • Options

The prices i put up are from the Betfair exchange, they're not prices offered by a bookmaker.

I think @bobmunro has also previously said that in the modern day where everything is global and online the prices don't really differ so much.

Granted you'll probably get better odds on England at an independent local Italian bookie though.
    Yes, it's a totally different game nowadays. 

Back in the day, UK bookmakers would compile prices and broadly speaking stick to them, with the odds compilers being the kings 'It's the right price so I'm sticking with it'. Now it's about trading (how much and from who?) - 'trade the numbers, not the opinion'. Now football markets globally are pretty much formed in Asia.

We will also take more money on the game from our overseas markets than we will in the UK.

For what my opinion is worth, I would make Italy slight favourites if it was a neutral venue - but being at Wembley makes it pretty much a pick'em. For that reason I would not back England at odds on, and would back Italy at anything better than evens (not that I will back against England out of principle!). 

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Addickted said:

It was the best headline from the papers but Sun and class is an oxymoron.
  • Options
    If i remember correctly, UEFA moved the champs league final to saturday nights so that more kids could watch the game(or something like that)so why not have this final on a saturday? 
  • Options
    kick em out the competition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SamB09 said:
    If i remember correctly, UEFA moved the champs league final to saturday nights so that more kids could watch the game(or something like that)so why not have this final on a saturday? 
    Sod that. We need a rest before we mert Italy.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Euro 2012:
    Ireland 1-3 Croatia
    Ukraine 0-2 France
    World Cup 2014:
    England 1-2 Italy
    Switzerland 2-5 France
    Colombia 2-0 Uruguay

Euro 2016:
    Germany 0-0 Poland
    Croatia 2-1 Spain
    France 5-2 Iceland

World Cup 2018:
    Egypt 0-1 Uruguay
    Brazil 2-0 Costa Rica
    Spain 1-1 Russia (3-4p)
    Sweden 0-2 England

Euro 2020:
    Denmark 1-2 Belgium
    Slovakia 0-5 Spain
    Czech Rep 1-2 Denmark
    Italy ?-? England
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    happy with the game being Sunday, but not sure why it can't KO at 5 or 6pm so that all the kids can watch it no problem.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    happy with the game being Sunday, but not sure why it can't KO at 5 or 6pm so that all the kids can watch it no problem.
    Yes, seeing as it is on a Sunday, I think you make a good point. If it was going to be a scorching day, which I don't think it is, a later kick-off may supply a better game but UEFA have scheduled early games including Denmark's quarter final in Baku.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Because that's too early in the morning for UEFA's burgeoning Australian audience.  Eurovision was just the start, we'll have the antipodeans in the Euros and the Six Nations next.
  • Options
    SCP on the BBC news last night.  Class as ever but he's starting to look a bit frazzled.  I think Southgate's using Chris as his Dorian Gray picture to take all his anxieties and tension.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes, it's a totally different game nowadays. 

Back in the day, UK bookmakers would compile prices and broadly speaking stick to them, with the odds compilers being the kings 'It's the right price so I'm sticking with it'. Now it's about trading (how much and from who?) - 'trade the numbers, not the opinion'. Now football markets globally are pretty much formed in Asia.

We will also take more money on the game from our overseas markets than we will in the UK.

For what my opinion is worth, I would make Italy slight favourites if it was a neutral venue - but being at Wembley makes it pretty much a pick'em. For that reason I would not back England at odds on, and would back Italy at anything better than evens (not that I will back against England out of principle!). 

Most people would immediately think Italy would have an edge I would have thought purely because of perceived history and they are on a fantastic run. However, I’ve not been too convinced they are as resilient a squad as people think. Sure, that game against Spain was awesome to watch but it was two teams playing with a style that let each other do the pretty things and Italy really only beat a Spanish side (on penalties) that did its usual thing of passing the ball a thousand times with basically not a lot to show at the end of it. The quarter final could have gone either way. They didn’t really have to break a sweat against the teams before that, not because they were so good but because the teams they played weren’t really that good. Starting with the mind games about the fans in the ground and cheating tells us they are the ones that are worried ahead of Sunday’s game, and rightly so, they are playing a solid, cohesive, tight knit group in England that has shedloads of talent and commitment to spare. Italy will melt away on Sunday night when they are out to the test.