Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Animals

Comments

• Some great pics on here - the one above (feline/canine love in) is great.

There is a line in a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song that goes 'i've never met an animal that I didn't like'. I think that pretty much describes me. Some give me the creeps (not terribly comfortable with creepy crawlies), but I still find them fascinating and have just as much as right to exist as anything else.

Particular favourite are all the big cats (but like many on here, lions aren't my favourite), the medium size cats and, well, any size cat, really.
    Love reptiles, they are ace - lizards are a particular favourite.
    Birds, any type I find fascinating.
    Anything that lives in water, as above.
    Saw a red panda in Taronga Zoo in Sydney - possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen...

However, my favourite animal is Mellivora capensis - the infamous honey badger. They are just the coolest thing on earth - they are absolutely nails and they don't give a sh*t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

I teach Biology, btw, and can only echo what Moutakilla said above. I have a student at the moment who wants to be a Marine Biologist, I know it is going to be tough for them to succeed, but if they have the passion and dedication, then they might be in with a chance. Most naturalists I have met have a passion bordering on obsession; I honestly think that that is what it takes for them to succeed (as well as incredible ability to put up with terrible conditions when pursuing the objects of their study in the wild). Good luck!

Good call proper fearless animal and nothing looks cooler jogging along rocking his shit
  • Tamarin monkeys are this weeks favourite. Rather fond of the gecko that lives in the beer store in our bar too.

Have you given him a name yet?

Much respect to you.
  • Tamarin monkeys are this weeks favourite. Rather fond of the gecko that lives in the beer store in our bar too.

Have you given him a name yet?
    Yes, he is known as Clive.
  • We have just moved again. Now living in the countryside and the wildlife is amazing. So many different species of birds and parrots. We now have a resident pure black Wallaby, which looks amazing. The downside is that we have a 5ft long fearsome Goanna which charges us on sight. They have huge sharp claws and really nasty teeth, and its just been discovered that they are venomous too......wonderful. So far Ive managed to beat him off 3 times, but Im thinking that the only way we will get some peace is if we trap him and drive him away 20 or 30 miles. I'd post up some photos, but cant seem to get them to load for some reason.
  • TEL said:

We have just moved again. Now living in the countryside and the wildlife is amazing. So many different species of birds and parrots. We now have a resident pure black Wallaby, which looks amazing. The downside is that we have a 5ft long fearsome Goanna which charges us on sight. They have huge sharp claws and really nasty teeth, and its just been discovered that they are venomous too......wonderful. So far Ive managed to beat him off 3 times, but Im thinking that the only way we will get some peace is if we trap him and drive him away 20 or 30 miles. I'd post up some photos, but cant seem to get them to load for some reason.

no wonder he keeps coming back.
  • Well, Tel. Many us will go out of our way to create a bond with our animal friends, but that is certainly taking it to the next step!
  • 'Snow Babies', BBC1 now on. Ahh factor is huge.
  • Pangolins and Sloths are cool as well. Look up 'baby sloth' on Youtube. Aaaaaaaahhhhhh. :)
  • Sponsored links:

• if after getting a dragon as im getting to old to lug the petrol can around.
  • 'Snow Babies', BBC1 now on. Ahh factor is huge.

Watched a bit of that last night, loved the Japanese Macaque.

Thanks. We try our best.

Oh god!

• even more discustard from tonbridge wells?
    McBobbin said:

Been into nature since the year dot, mainly because of
    Attenborough. It's seriously worth looking into doing an Earthwatch project if you've money to spare... I spent a couple of weeks in Alaska studying flying squirrels! Great stuff

i've been on an earthwatch project to equador, they are expensive but worth it.

we spent a month in a cloud forest, collecting migratory birds, weighing, tagging and checking for parasites and then releasing back were we caught them. i never realised how small humming birds actually are, incredible. fantastic time but be prepared for early mornings, no laying in bed i'm afraid. it can be hard work but very rewarding. do be prepared to find creepy crawlies in your shoes, mostly scorpions and spiders all poisonous.

well done to you.
  • oh yeah and my favourites apart from all domestic animals. i like wolves and bears.

there's a wolf sanctuary somewhere near reading and you can join and then go on a walk with them, obviously on leads and handled by the staff. and you even get to stroke them, it was a wonderful thing to do.
  • I'm going to get this book at some point, it's about human evolution, you can look inside on amazon preview.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-Human-Story-Alice-Roberts/dp/1405361654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356051975&sr=8-1

Brilliant
  • ValleyGary said: Pandas. Absolutely obsessed by them. Been to Hong Kong Ocean Park especially to see them.

Sometimes i weird myself out by how much I love them.

Fat, Lazy can't even be bothered to perpetuate their own species if anything deserves to die out its this animal...waste of space

Gets headguard and gum shield ready
  • oh yeah and my favourites apart from all domestic animals. i like wolves and bears.

there's a wolf sanctuary somewhere near reading and you can join and then go on a walk with them, obviously on leads and handled by the staff. and you even get to stroke them, it was a wonderful thing to do.

The uk wolf conservation trust-worked there for 6 months, great place. Loved coming in when it was snowing to them howling in top of their little mounds. They've had cubs recently-disappointed to have missed out on that. Definitely recommend going along to one I their open days. It's in beenham (sp) and the local school had a wolf for it's crest- definitely beats the cross we had :)
  • Cats and bats. Imagine my joy!

• Sponsored links:

• TEL said:

We have just moved again. Now living in the countryside and the wildlife is amazing. So many different species of birds and parrots. We now have a resident pure black Wallaby, which looks amazing. The downside is that we have a 5ft long fearsome Goanna which charges us on sight. They have huge sharp claws and really nasty teeth, and its just been discovered that they are venomous too......wonderful. So far Ive managed to beat him off 3 times, but Im thinking that the only way we will get some peace is if we trap him and drive him away 20 or 30 miles. I'd post up some photos, but cant seem to get them to load for some reason.

was intrigued as never heard of them before, is it similar to this?

• Rizzo said:

Cats and bats. Imagine my joy!

Ha ha! That is brilliant!
  • Penguins. Love em.
  • edited December 2012
    Tel just run it over with your car , do a few wheel spins on it to spread the scent of dead lizard

A warning to other lizards to not mess with you pal

Superb!

Superb!

• For those who are interested, the Hunt Saboteurs Association has a web site. The address is hsa.enviroweb.org/

Great, do they have a forum too?