Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Animals

Comments

• love all animals, fascinated by creepy crawlies but have a real arachnaphobia going on, couldn't resist taking the attached picture of this family the other day in a local field, as I approached the gate they all came trotting up imageimage
  • Pandas. Absolutely obsessed by them. Been to Hong Kong Ocean Park especially to see them.

Sometimes i weird myself out by how much I love them.
  • Birds of prey.

Have you been eagle heights?

They do a great show, it's a must if you like your birds of prey!

• Dave2l said:

Birds of prey.

Have you been eagle heights?

They do a great show, it's a must if you like your birds of prey!

Yes, 2 or 3 times. Love it.

• Orang Utans. Was in Borneo last year and spent a day at a sanctuary for them. One of the most amazing experiences ever. Their eyes tell you so much about how intelligent they are. Stunning primates.

Any 'pack' animal. It still amazes me how they have the intelligence to hunt together and the results we see on these shows from dolphins corraling sardines to wolves stalking bison calves for miles always leave me opened mouthed.

The number one though for me has to be the Great White. Designed to kill. Nothing else. The only enemy it has is man which leaves it tip top of the food chain in the water. Ferocious, vicious, intelligent and utterly unstoppable. Amazing.
  • P_Air said:

Orang Utans. Was in Borneo last year and spent a day at a sanctuary for them. One of the most amazing experiences ever. Their eyes tell you so much about how intelligent they are. Stunning primates.

Any 'pack' animal. It still amazes me how they have the intelligence to hunt together and the results we see on these shows from dolphins corraling sardines to wolves stalking bison calves for miles always leave me opened mouthed.

Interestingly the orang utans are I believe, the only primate that does not stay as a group so they are not pack animals. As soon as they can take care of themselves they go off in completely different directions, hunting and living life alone.

• Foxes. Find it amazing how they can manage to make that screeching noise and keep it up all night. And the way they are so efficient at ripping open all the neighbours bin bags in a single night........... WOW
  • Dave2l said:

P_Air said:

Orang Utans. Was in Borneo last year and spent a day at a sanctuary for them. One of the most amazing experiences ever. Their eyes tell you so much about how intelligent they are. Stunning primates.

Interestingly the orang utans are I believe, the only primate that does not stay as a group so they are not pack animals. As soon as they can take care of themselves they go off in completely different directions, hunting and living life alone.

Knew that fella. Was referring to pretty much any other animal that operates in a pack. Its amazing the thought processes that they go through to achieve the outcome they do.

Puffins, but owls come a close second.
  • I'm a zoologist/Animal behaviourist. I did my master's project on climate change affecting natal dispersal in pied flycatchers and spent 4 months in north east thailand studying monkeys earlier this year. I've had the pleasure of working with some fantastic animals in the past including numerous species of bird, wolves and orang-utans, and I have been to some amazing places to do this. If you do want to go into this line of work you have to be extremely passionate about it, and be prepared to put most of your spare-time into it. I have been volunteering for about 5 years and have a lot of experience, but it is very very difficult to find a job in the area. I am going to most likely have to go on to do a phd - hopefully in the near future - and then return to the struggle for finding a job. For me it is completely worth it, as i absolutely love working with animals and my years of working for pizza express have taught me how important it is to try and find something you love. I highly recommend going into the field, but be prepared to work your socks off :)
  • Sponsored links:

• oh and my favourite animals are either red faced black spider monkeys, wolves, or butterflies. All fantastic creatures
  • Foxes. Find it amazing how they can manage to make that screeching noise and keep it up all night. And the way they are so efficient at ripping open all the neighbours bin bags in a single night........... WOW

I am a totally pro-animal, except for these buggers. If they hadn't become urbanised then they'd still be tolerable, but when the little gits start having a turn-out on the bin lids and front door step then enough is enough. I find them a pest more than anything else.

*awaits damnation*

But why do owls always look so cross? :-)

I always thought life was a hoot for them
  • Because they can't finish above Charlton
  • That's cos they haven't got Chrissy P Owl to manage them.
  • edited November 2012
    I like lemurs. Went to Wingham Wildlife Park last year and at times the public can walk through the ring tailed lemur enclosure. A keeper is present and the lemurs can land on you, although you mustn't actually touch them if they do.
  • Dave2l said:

I think there are a few nocturnal primates who live solo, as many (or most) night going mammals do. For example, the red panda.

I love the face that gibbons pair for life and wake up early each morning to sing together. The sound of their calls echoing through the forests of Thailand is something I'll never forget.

If you had to get all those different coloured feather arranged so perfectly, you'd be pretty pi**ed off as well...that is one seriously big owl though ha ha
  • Has anyone said Beavers yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• madadd said:

If you had to get all those different coloured feather arranged so perfectly, you'd be pretty pi**ed off as well...that is one seriously big owl though ha ha
    I see what you mean, they must have to spend hours in front of the mirror!
  • Grizzly bears and leopards. Lucky to see them both in the wild image
  • I'm a zoologist/Animal behaviourist. I did my master's project on climate change affecting natal dispersal in pied flycatchers and spent 4 months in north east thailand studying monkeys earlier this year. I've had the pleasure of working with some fantastic animals in the past including numerous species of bird, wolves and orang-utans, and I have been to some amazing places to do this. If you do want to go into this line of work you have to be extremely passionate about it, and be prepared to put most of your spare-time into it. I have been volunteering for about 5 years and have a lot of experience, but it is very very difficult to find a job in the area. I am going to most likely have to go on to do a phd - hopefully in the near future - and then return to the struggle for finding a job. For me it is completely worth it, as i absolutely love working with animals and my years of working for pizza express have taught me how important it is to try and find something you love. I highly recommend going into the field, but be prepared to work your socks off :)

Cheers for that. The study of Animal behaviour is my perfered field too. Well done for pushing yourself to do something you love.
  • My lack of social skills makes for quite a difficult life, as my true personality can never be seen...I just come across as horrible. For these reasons dogs are my number one, as they all seem to know I have a good heart and no aggresion. I really dont think I could survive without them.
  • All animals for me... I like their honesty and affection (even if cupboard love). Who said that cats and dogs are sworn enemies??image
  • edited November 2012
    @Oliver Street - aww cute! Liking how the one in the bed is hugging the dog. Would love a dog but my three cats go apeshit when they see one. They're rescue cats and I think they had some bad experiences with dogs.
  • This is my newest favourite site ever.
    http://www.zooborns.typepad.com/zooborns/red_panda/

I haven't been through all of it yet, but a special nod also to the loris, fishing cat and fennex fox photos.
  • Some great pics on here - the one above (feline/canine love in) is great.

There is a line in a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song that goes 'i've never met an animal that I didn't like'. I think that pretty much describes me. Some give me the creeps (not terribly comfortable with creepy crawlies), but I still find them fascinating and have just as much as right to exist as anything else.

Particular favourite are all the big cats (but like many on here, lions aren't my favourite), the medium size cats and, well, any size cat, really.
    Love reptiles, they are ace - lizards are a particular favourite.
    Birds, any type I find fascinating.
    Anything that lives in water, as above.
    Saw a red panda in Taronga Zoo in Sydney - possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen...

However, my favourite animal is Mellivora capensis - the infamous honey badger. They are just the coolest thing on earth - they are absolutely nails and they don't give a sh*t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

I teach Biology, btw, and can only echo what Moutakilla said above. I have a student at the moment who wants to be a Marine Biologist, I know it is going to be tough for them to succeed, but if they have the passion and dedication, then they might be in with a chance. Most naturalists I have met have a passion bordering on obsession; I honestly think that that is what it takes for them to succeed (as well as incredible ability to put up with terrible conditions when pursuing the objects of their study in the wild). Good luck!
  • Stone said:

Has anyone said Beavers yet?

No, but I think about them a lot ;-)