Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Edgar Davids at Barnet

2»

Comments

• Options
    My last post on this subject.

Not sure what you want me to post? Is it not true Juventus were found guilty of being involved in match fixing? Is it not true there are tapes of Moggi having phone conversations about which ref's he wanted to officiate in Juve games?

All this I thought was fairly common knowledge to people who have even heard about Calciopoli and therefore I didn't think I needed to write that after calling Juve a disgusting club.
  • Options
    Found guilty by an incompetent justice system correct, yes. Moggi did indeed have phone conversations with referee designators but there was no evidence that he specifically asked for referees, so much of the basis was on hearsay rather than concrete evidence. Yes it sounds messed up and implausible but that is how things really work in Italy - you are guilty until proven innocent. The Conte trial is a testament to how farcical this is.

Simply how the courts could decide that Juventus were any more guilty than AC Milan and Fiorentina who did the exact same thing is ridiculous. As is awarding Inter a title for doing nothing, Inter were then proven last year to have done the same thing also but a 'statute of limitations' prevented them from being tried.

That alone should tell you that things are simply not simply as they seem in Italy, and your view of "Juventus are cheats" is what I expect from your average, narrow minded, ill-informed, probably uneducated football fan.
  • Options
    Edgar Davids at Barnet please... ta.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Edgar Davids at Barnet please... ta.

Leave it out Lookie.

I'm enjoying this - even got the popcorn out.

I particularly like this.

That alone should tell you that things are simply not simply as they seem in Italy, and your view of "Juventus are cheats" is what I expect from your average, narrow minded, ill-informed, probably uneducated football fan.

Juve done for cheating and I'm narrow minded, ill informed and uneducated about football?

You learn something every day :-)

Has the Pope forgiven them - or did I miss that?

• Options
    Hey I tried to get back to the original topic, but I don't take kindly to ignorant football fans.

And yes Addickted you are exactly that if you simply think they are cheats without looking at all the facts, which I have kindly provided this thread with. Anyone who reads the Conte ban and doesn't think there is something seriously wrong with the Italian sporting justice system needs to have their head examined.

But yes Davids, sort of ruined the whole legend image for me going to Palace, but back in his prime was a very good midfielder not sure who exactly I would compare him with now. Didn't seem like the kind of player that would one day be a manager, but fair play for being able to pick up that Barnet side in a league that he can't be familiar with.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Hey I tried to get back to the original topic, but I don't take kindly to ignorant football fans.

And yes Addickted you are exactly that if you simply think they are cheats without looking at all the facts, which I have kindly provided this thread with. Anyone who reads the Conte ban and doesn't think there is something seriously wrong with the Italian sporting justice system needs to have their head examined.

You assert that you have provided all the facts, this is nonsense, you have provided an article by a journalist. Rather than throwing round insults, provide all the facts so people can make a considered opinion.

Based on what I have read (which is not adequate to give a definitive opinion) both on here and elsewhere, I have doubts as to whether Conte is guilty.

On the Davids front, he is not comparible to Seedorf in terms of the type of player he is. He appears to have had a positive effect on the team, whether this is just short term or will be sustained remains to be seen. I would be interested to know whether Davids is playing for a love of the game or for money, if it is the latter and a significant amount, how are Barnet financing this? Or is it to step into management / coaching, if this is the case Barnet would appear on the face of it a surprising choice.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Remind me why Conte is banned?

It was a fit up based on something that happened at a previous club :-)
  • Options
    Can I just add a bit of perspective here (cards on the table Juve is my Italian team).

1. The demotion was entirely justified. It wasn't the fault of excellent pros like Cannovaro, Del Piero and Buffon who had titles stripped, but it had to happen for reasons of sporting integrity. I didn't like it at the time, but it's been a good thing to take the medicine.
    2. Turin isn't that nice, Birmingham with good chocolate.
    3. I've got doubts over the Conte conviction, but it is what it is. The ban's been shortened, it hasn't really hurt the club too much. Move on.
    4. It was necessary to give Inter the title and to relegate/punish their main competition because they were never going to be able to manage it any other way. Having spunked millions up the wall it had got to the point where it had ceased to be amusing so it was necessary to throw them a bone. As Jose said to his players when he joined, "you won the scudetto in the courts, now go and win it on the pitch" (while your main rivals are in disarray). To be honest I kind of suspect that Inter has a couple of charges to answer too, but it's hearsay, nothing as concrete as what happened to Juve.
  • Options
    Back to Davids at Barnet like others his brief spell with the Nigels spoilt his legend for me also,but his spell at Underhill is rebuilding it somewhat.

I went to his debut against Northampton and he improved as the game went on and played the full 90 minutes.I am particularly impressed that he is playing as an amateur and he is gaining his coaching qualifications by being the joint head coach of the Bees,so this is not costing Barnet any money.

It would be good to see similar stars of world football give back to the game in this way.
  • Options
    Just been sent off, 2 yellows in 7 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to him , he has just committed to stay at Barnet in the Conference next season,so will be pitching up at Welling United.Probably the biggest name to play there since Rod Stewart.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Fair play to him , he has just committed to stay at Barnet in the Conference next season,so will be pitching up at Welling United.Probably the biggest name to play there since Rod Stewart.

That's very admirable.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I was there for Rod - he arrived in a helicopter !

• Options
    Indeed he did , top man, i think everyone was expecting Bestie, but we were told its ok Rod Stewart is coming.

What about the "stars" that played at Welling when the Addicks played their reserve games there? Theres a picture somewhere of John Barnes running out at Park View Road.

Dont forget Andy Townsend and Steve Finnan either who both graced the hallowed turf of Park View Road many times in the Wings shirt.
  • Options
    Or don't forget Fish from Marillion who played there in that charity game around 1988 I think
  • Options
    So Davids is still playing? That's pretty cool, may have to head to their Dartford fixture.

Back on Turin, it was a lot nicer than I thought it would be, better than Genoa or Milan. The film museum is brilliant too.

Ps. There's also no way that Moratti hasn't been involved in some sort of corruption at some point.