Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derren Brown - Apocalypse

Comments

• Options
    The Facebook link has been closed. I've tweeted derren brown lol.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Disgruntled viewers took to Twitter accusing Derren of using an actor as the main subject of his newest show Apocalypse.

They claimed Steve Brosnan was actually an actor from a professional casting website and others added that they saw him in a recent television advert advertising noodles.

Derren took to twitter to hit-back at the rumours – he tweeted: "Conspiracy theory flying around that Steven is an actor, cos he looks like a guy in a noodle ad. I NEVER EVER fake stunts with actors."

He then tweeted: "Plus his whole family/friends would have to be actors too. And all REAL family/friends quietly killed…"

To further his point, Derren then posted a video on YouTube (see above) of Steve and the noodle advert star Karl Greenwood.

They do look similar, but I hardly think that they’re the same person!

Derren interviews the pair in the viral video and reveals that Steve once signed up to a showbiz website in hope of getting into audiences of various TV shows. Steve then explains that he never actually finished his application for the website and confirms that he has never been a professional actor.

Derren also gets him to confirm that he has never acted in a noodle advert under the name of Karl Greenwood.

I’m happy that Derren managed to instantly quash the rumours and it was great to see Steve so happy - he must have got over his zombie experience!

• Options
    Did he explain the bottle thing ?
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    He'd better do another twitter video then !!
  • Options
    He did explain the bottle thing in his blog, said there was a lot of footage made and it had to be edited down hence the continuity error. Having read a few theories going about I'm actually starting to think it was genuine - to Derren. I don't believe Steven was an actor, more likely that he realised what was going on and went with it. There would be no reason for him not to as it's a chance to further his career, get on tv etc. I've read that the way he was 'hypnotised' on the bus just isn't possible to do in that way (common sense would tell you that anyway) but if he'd just dismissed Derren totally and not pretended to sleep that would be it for him re this show.
  • Options
    but there were images of stevens profile on an agency website, where he was in BBC pilot shows last september?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I know I posted those images here lol Easier to read how Derren explains it in his blog.. http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/
    Not saying that I totally believe what Derren says I just think it's the most likely scenerio that he'd go along with it. Bit i'd like to adjust from my above post is the 'genuine to Derren' part. I'm sure he knew Steven would play along in the way he did.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Talal said:

I've read that the way he was 'hypnotised' on the bus just isn't possible to do in that way (common sense would tell you that anyway) but if he'd just dismissed Derren totally and not pretended to sleep that would be it for him re this show.

I have no strong opinion either way. But I would like to add this :-

I was on holiday a few years ago & there was a hypnotic show that I suggested we went to. The hypnotist asked for 12 volunteers & I was too chicken to go up, but my friend did, reluctantly, after I persuaded him.

The hypnotist put him to sleep in exactly the same way & had him thinking a baby doll was his real baby & he looked after it. He then told him he was a rock star & my mate was prancing around the stage.

There was a lot more too. It was hilarious & no way was my mate "playing along".

He said afterwards that he had a vague recollection of some of it, but didn't really believe me until I showed him the photos.

I'm a very sceptical person btw.
  • Options
    Seems like i'm the only one who enjoyed this show :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Covered End The hypnotist just instantly put his hand over your friend's face and said sleep? Even to the most suggestible of people I can't for the life of me think how this would make anyone genuinely sleep or go into an unconscious state without some sort of prior build up. Not saying you're making it up it's just something I think I'd need to witness myself.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Seems like i'm the only one who enjoyed this show :)

I enjoyed it I've just sadly embroiled myself in all the analysis of it! :)
  • Options
    I did think it was a bit cheesy at times (the girls acting) and effects looked a little weak, but then I put myself in his position, where he's been messed around with previously and has no reason to believe anything otherwise, and came to the conclusion that if I found myself in a situation where everything was turned on its head like this, I dont know if it would enter my mind that someone might be f*cking with me :)
  • Options
    Gave up on all this kind of nonsense after the David Copperfield Show years back when he made the Statue of Liberty 'disappear'. Turned out everyone on the site near the statue of Liberty were actors/in the know and they simply moved to a different camera for the great reveal. Oooh...
    Don't like Blaine either but when he's in a box on his own for days on end at least there is a little bit of mystery about it.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

I did think it was a bit cheesy at times (the girls acting) and effects looked a little weak, but then I put myself in his position, where he's been messed around with previously and has no reason to believe anything otherwise, and came to the conclusion that if I found myself in a situation where everything was turned on its head like this, I dont know if it would enter my mind that someone might be f*cking with me :)

But it might if you remembered at any point you'd auditioned for a Derren Brown show not that long ago :)

• Options
    Talal said:

@Covered End The hypnotist just instantly put his hand over your friend's face and said sleep? Even to the most suggestible of people I can't for the life of me think how this would make anyone genuinely sleep or go into an unconscious state without some sort of prior build up. Not saying you're making it up it's just something I think I'd need to witness myself.

This is what I recall. There were about 12 holidaymaker volunteers & he got rid of about half, after a while, as they "weren't suitable".

He then put the remaining 6 "out" by either telling them they would go to sleep when he clicked his fingers or he just put hs hand over their eyes briefly. He put all 6 "out" and got them all to do all sorts of funny things.

It was a 2 week holiday & I went again the next week & he hypnotised an entirely different set of people.

I'm 100% sure he hypnotised my mate & like I say I don't ever believe in this sort of stuff, ghosts, etc etc.

• Options
    Looks pretty fake, enjoyed it anyway.

Moving on..
  • Options
    Talal said:

Derren Brown had conditioned him prior to that to respond to that embedded command, so while in the edit it looks like he's doing it too quickly, it was actually buried in his subconscious.

Everyone's forgetting this was a 48 hour stunt edited down to a one hour TV show (45 minutes when you take out the adverts!)

• Options
    Talal said:

Addicted said:

But it might if you remembered at any point you'd auditioned for a Derren Brown show not that long ago :)

Haha, I suppose so. Speaking of which, anyone else feeling the need to rob a security van?
  • Options
    But he engaged in some sort of talk beforehand so they were aware they were about to be hypnotised right? And it was a hypnotism show afterall so wouldn't have come as a shock what was going on.
    It's different from what happened on the bus imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:

But he engaged in some sort of talk beforehand so they were aware they were about to be hypnotised right? And it was a hypnotism show afterall so wouldn't have come as a shock what was going on.

True. I was just explaining that I didn't necessarily believe in hypnotism, until I saw my mate hypnotised.
  • Options
    It's easier to be hypnotised when ur acting it ;-)
  • Options
    Talal said:

Addicted said:

Ye but I mean, I thought that I wouldn't believe it when I saw the zombies. However, if I was in that situation, I would NOT go walking up to one of those saying, come on mate, is this a joke, is someone messing about? Is it Derren?
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Ye but I mean, I thought that I wouldn't believe it when I saw the zombies. However, if I was in that situation, I would NOT go walking up to one of those saying, come on mate, is this a joke, is someone messing about? Is it Derren?

Of course you wouldn't as you would've already been told they were infected and to stay well away. So even if you believe it was all genuine there was never any real likelihood of him attacking the 'zombies'.
  • Options
    quote went wrong on that one!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    <

I appreciate that but Derren isn't a wizard, pre conditioning at an audition months previous doesn't account for him doing what he did on the bus imo.
  • Options

Talal said:

True. I was just explaining that I didn't necessarily believe in hypnotism, until I saw my mate hypnotised.
    ah ok :)
  • Options
    What I would add is that when something like this is staged and actors are brought in,they do have a tendency to 'over-act' and you can normally spot it a mile off. Especially a z-lister like this fellow is supposed to be. He looked genuinely terrified throughout.
    Maybe he was told something was about to happen but not what and when. Can't see as Brown just did it without the blokes acceptance otherwise there's a chance that he'd have the post traumatic stress lawyers at his door.
  • Options
    He was hypnotised originally in the application process, Derren Brown merely sent him back to that point, ie, he never completely took him out of it, the suggestion/trigger points were still there. My ex sister in law was hypnotised many years ago on a holiday in tenerife, it was in no way faked, they had her roaring like a lion when she exhaled a cigarette in the bar later, running around like james bond to the theme music and not able to sit down on "hot chairs", she remembered none of it, we even showed her the video I took.
  • Options
    Last time i saw zombies freaked me out !

missed me stop ended up in Woolwich