Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Safe Standing

I support this campaign 100%, even if you don't want to stand yourself please sign and give us the choice.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safestanding/

It would be fantastic, the Lower Northstand could go straight back to standing as could the entire Jimmy Seed, imagine the Jimmy Seed, standing as the home end!!!

It would improve the atmosphere, increase capacity and reduce ticket prices.

Comments

• Sure this was doing the rounds last year, I remember discussion here about it
  • D_F_T said:

imagine the Jimmy Seed, standing as the home end!!!

erm, no I'd rather not. The Covered End is the home end thanks.

• I remember the Jimmy Seed had a short time as the home end when seats were first put in The Covered End. I'm thinking of atmosphere mate, does it matter what end of the ground it is, othere teams have changed their "home" end.
  • I know there are apparently issues with this but i'd chuck the away fans in part of the west and make both ends standing imagine the atmosphere.
  • razil said:

I know there are apparently issues with this but i'd chuck the away fans in part of the west and make both ends standing imagine the atmosphere.

This
  • I can't see it happening, but I would love this.
  • razil said:

I know there are apparently issues with this but i'd chuck the away fans in part of the west and make both ends standing imagine the atmosphere.

Do you not see the dangers in this Razil? Imagine the away team scoring, a cheer goes up and 5,000 people wake up with hot bovril in their hands. It doesnt bear thinking about!

• Not a great cost model for loss making businesses: chuck away a lot of stuff you've invested in so you can make less revenue with the same space, in the hope that the folk that sat silently gazing in the pitch will turn into a choir-army because they're on their feet.
  • signed and shared. would be quality, unlikely but quality
  • Not a great cost model for loss making businesses: chuck away a lot of stuff you've invested in so you can make less revenue with the same space, in the hope that the folk that sat silently gazing in the pitch will turn into a choir-army because they're on their feet.

This.
    Also what's the point of increasing capacity when we can't fill the stadium on a £5 a ticket match?
    If you want more crowd participation can I suggest banning mobiles from the ground so that supporters actually watch what's happening on the pitch and become involved in it rather than messing around with their 'phones? Some supporters seem to spend so much of the game using their 'phone I wonder why they don't just stay at home and do it and save some money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure about the phone thing cafcfan how do you police it? are you going to introduce airport type security? Won't work mate silly idea in any case being a live and let live kind of bloke if some mug wants to spend £20 on a ticket and then not watch the game it's his look out.
  • just make the north lower standing, no need to change any other part of the ground
  • Not sure about the phone thing cafcfan how do you police it? are you going to introduce airport type security? Won't work mate silly idea in any case being a live and let live kind of bloke if some mug wants to spend £20 on a ticket and then not watch the game it's his look out.

Yeah, I know - I was semi-joking - just adding another potential reason why there's not much "atmosphere" at football grounds these days.
  • I would like standing back, not an atmosphere issue, i just enjoy watching Football standing.

Have always supported these things since they first started a few years ago.
  • Looking forward to peterborough great standing behind the goal but becarfull wot u wish for as a lot of league 1 grounds were standing! Or have we all forgotten?
  • Can someone explain what 'safe' standing is please?

North Lower but with only 500 people allowed in?

what actually makes the standing safe?
  • Safe standing means going to a game of football that doesnt involve liverpool

Sorry

Support this idea and definitely better than standing in seated areas and doesn't cause any bother with people who prefer to sit

North lower perfect for this
  • Standing with barriers is obviously safer than standing in seated areas with non barriers...it fair turns my stomach just thinking of the domino effect of a few people falling from the back rows.
  • edited October 2012

Standing with barriers is obviously safer than standing in seated areas with non barriers...it fair turns my stomach just thinking of the domino effect of a few people falling from the back rows.

seen this happen. luckily it only went a couple of rows. some sturdy guy kept his feet and stopped the others from falling any further.

Very much in favor for safe standing. I'm sure there will be enough people who would want to stand.
  • Standing might encourage better attendances, and a more intimidating atmosphere wins games right?
  • Sponsored links:

• We had safe standing in the mid to late 80;s.............it was called the sainsbury's end at Selhurst !!
  • Can someone explain what 'safe' standing is please?

Surely safe standing is achieved by controlling the number of people entering that section of the ground. Season tickets and a set number sold on a match by match basis. A far cry from the old days of cramming in as many as possible. I'd go for it. North Lower is tailor made for this.
  • Looking forward to peterborough great standing behind the goal but becarfull wot u wish for as a lot of league 1 grounds were standing! Or have we all forgotten?

Last year of the terracing at London Road if Posh stay in the championship.

• To old to stand, to young to die.
  • MrOneLung said:

Can someone explain what 'safe' standing is please?

what actually makes the standing safe?

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safestanding/Safe-standing-areas-in-Europe.php

Choice mate, choice.....nobody will have to stand.

Completely agree. As romantic as the notion may be, unfortunately the numbers just don't add up.

Aside from the one-off cost of taking out the seats and installing barriers, etc, the cost for standing would presumably be cheaper than seats and there would likely be no increase in capacity - so less income.
  • se7oaks said:

Can someone explain what 'safe' standing is please?

Surely safe standing is achieved by controlling the number of people entering that section of the ground. Season tickets and a set number sold on a match by match basis. A far cry from the old days of cramming in as many as possible. I'd go for it. North Lower is tailor made for this.

In Germany each standing tier is split into different 'blocks' and you have a ticket for an individual block. A steward is there to check you're going into the right area, and only being able to enter at the back corner any trip/fall would have minimal effect whilst there are also crash barriers. Thus the number of people in each area is regulated and regarded safe.
  • Off_it said:

Not a great cost model for loss making businesses: chuck away a lot of stuff you've invested in so you can make less revenue with the same space, in the hope that the folk that sat silently gazing in the pitch will turn into a choir-army because they're on their feet.

Completely agree. As romantic as the notion may be, unfortunately the numbers just don't add up.

Aside from the one-off cost of taking out the seats and installing barriers, etc, the cost for standing would presumably be cheaper than seats and there would likely be no increase in capacity - so less income.
    Whilst the perception would probably be that a ticket for a seat would cost more than one for standing (certainly historically true), as you get something extra (an uncomfortable seat & the opportunity to have your knees crushed by the seat in front), there is no reason why this should be the case. I think a lot of people would happily pay what they currently pay at the valley to stand instead of sit. On this basis income could be the same.

Of course, your point regarding initial conversion costs stands, however this should be considered in the context of possible fans gained and fans retained by this change.
  • Funny i don't recall us selling out the ground in the championship lately, charge more to away fans in the west too