Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cristiano Ronaldo At The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Don’t forget we were looking at getting both Ronaldo and Quaresma in at one stage. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Don’t forget we were looking at getting both Ronaldo and Quaresma in at one stage. 
    Who did we get instead?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Who did we get instead?
    It was 2003 - can’t remember who we got on at that time. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Who did we get instead?

• Options
    We ummed and ahhed and lost out to Man United and Barcelona on the 2 players, though how close we actually were to signing them isn't really known, and we sold our own star player Parker that winter anyway. The start we had in the league that season, imagine if that was supplemented by a young pairing of Ronaldo and Quaresma too, we could have been like Leicester in 2016
  • Options
    Is that the same Ronaldo that Joined UTD in 2003 and played 40 games across competitions and scored 6 goals? Not bad for a what 17 or 18 year old
  • Options
    Yeah they gave him the number 7 shirt and a starting berth straight away to make up for Beckham leaving that summer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is that the same Ronaldo that Joined UTD in 2003 and played 40 games across competitions and scored 6 goals? Not bad for a what 17 or 18 year old
    Someone would have criticised him for not tackling and professed that they’d have preferred a Jon Parkin type 
  • Options
    Ronaldo, back in the premier league, will he still be able to cut it at 36?
  • Options
    Ronaldo, back in the premier league, will he still be able to cut it at 36?
    Yeah, definitely, but could he do it away to Morecambe on Tuesday evening on 23rd Nov?
  • Options
    If only Curbs had taken a gamble on him as an 18 year old we would of seen him play for us, never mind.

Is that in curbs' book?

Charlton once considered the possibility of signing Ronaldo?

Southall might also put that in his book!
  • Options
    I remember the local headlines at the time, "Ronaldo to sign for Charlton? ........ no not that one. This was a time when the only Ronaldo anyone had heard of, was the original one from Brazil
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I remember the local headlines at the time, "Ronaldo to sign for Charlton? ........ no not that one. This was a time when the only Ronaldo anyone had heard of, was the original one from Brazil
    I heard the news on the car radio, nearly crashed the car.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Ronaldo is the all time greatest player in the world.

1) goals - yes
    2) games (minimal injury) - yes
    3) assists - yes
    4) work rate - yes
    5) intel - yes
    6) stamina - yes
    7) strength/athletic ability - yes
    8) versatile - yes (curbs probably thought he'd be a good right back in 2003)
    9) set pieces - yes
    10) professionalism - yes, on the pitch
    11) competitive hunger - yes 

I don't think Ronaldo actually has any faults in his game.

Maradona wouldn't tick all of those.

Messi probably does but it's not all as close to 100% like Ronaldo 
    Plus the vital ingredient that makes him and Messi stand outs compared to predecessors - Longevity. Probably to do with modern day conditioning and diet, but both Ron and Messi have avoided major injury and are still going strong. 
  • Options
    Ronaldo is 8 months older than Rooney. One is still playing at the highest level, the other only gets on the pitch in charity games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Ronaldo is 8 months older than Rooney. One is still playing at the highest level, the other only gets on the pitch in charity games

Just shows, if you really, really, love yourself as much as Ronaldo does you don't let yourself go like everyone else does.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Hal1x said:
    Scoham said:

Just shows, if you really, really, love yourself as much as Ronaldo does you don't let yourself go like everyone else does.
    Rooney loves a curry and a few nans.
    Awesome assist...
  • Options
    Seem to remember Keane giving him some stick for diving.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    I remember the anticipation of his arrival at our gaff in the season after he got Rooney (?) sent off in the World Cup (or was it European?). Couldn't wait to give him a special 'welcome' to the Valley.
    Beckham was roundly applauded by the CE after France 98 WC.
  • Options
    Would love to know Ronnies daily fitness regime, how does he make himself so much better than anyone else?

Certainly not got the physique of a 36 year old footballer on a slow down, looking for a last payday, if he wanted the easy option , it would have been to join the farmers league in France , rather than the premier league, but i guess he likes to challenge himself , and prove he's good at what he's doing.

I guess with Messi @ PSG him and Ronaldo was never going to happen.
  • Options
    Would love to know Ronnies daily fitness regime, how does he make himself so much better than anyone else?

Certainly not got the physique of a 36 year old footballer on a slow down, looking for a last payday, if he wanted the easy option , it would have been to join the farmers league in France , rather than the premier league, but i guess he likes to challenge himself , and prove he's good at what he's doing.

I guess with Messi @ PSG him and Ronaldo was never going to happen.
    It's a vanity project, he hates the fact people think Messi is the GOAT and not him, so he constantly strives to prove he is the best footballer of all time
  • Options
    He has the money and dedication to keep himself fit and healthy.

He has incredible thick skin. 

I consider it likely that he may have experienced something traumatic in his life. People react in different ways.

The Rock (actor Dwayne Johnson) is probably now in his early mid 50s. 

It appears he is stronger and more athletic now, in comparison to when he was in his 30s.

Age doesn't help you but doesn't always forcefully slow you down either. Depends how you react to it.
  • Options
    'he may have experienced something traumatic in his life' 

my eyes just rolled out of my head tbh