Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are there three Championship teams worse than Charlton?

I say yes.

Peterborough, Watford and Millwall.

Hopefully others, too, but let's not get over-ambitious just yet.

Any other thoughts on the bottom three come next May?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2012
    IMO Ipswich and Derby under their respective managers aren't up to much. Nor Palace. Which is why our last two defeats are worrying and why we need a result on Saturday.
  • Options
    I hope there are, although I've seen no evidence so far.

I wonder if you will get into trouble with the 'anti-proliferation police'? ;-)
  • Options
    Watford can draw on the resources of Udinese and Grenada, if they're struggling come January i'd imagine some pretty decent loans will come their way.

Despite losing to them, I'm not convinced Palace are much better than us.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh and Barnsley are more than beatable. Need to use the "mini-league" system to pick up as many points against our rivals as possible.
  • Options

Oh and Barnsley are more than beatable. Need to use the "mini-league" system to pick up as many points against our rivals as possible.

Yep.
  • Options
    So far in the mini league then we are played 2 lost 2. Lets hope we beat Ipswich like you say should be in it.
  • Options
    Not from what I've seen so far,but it's early days.Cant believe I thought we would finish in the top 10 at the start of the season.
  • Options
    It's too early to tell
  • Options

It's too early to tell

As Mao Tse Tung said, when asked what had been the impact of the French Revolution on human history!

• Options
    Would be brave at the moment to say yes but it's very early and I think we have the capacity to improve on what we have seen so far. Eye opener though for a good few posters on here and although I suspect there are teams worse than Charlton as it currently stands there are not too many.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To early but based on the Championship matches i attended last season, id say yes over a season, as despite losing to Palace & Derby im very confident we will be above them once 46 games have been played.

• Options
    I'll give my answer in May............
  • Options
    i think millwall will defo struggle this year
  • Options
    Yes there are many worse. People are dim and obsess about the most recent results. The question after the Leicester game could have been are there three better sides and you'd get a few takers. We've made mistakes and we need to reinforce, but I'm confident this will be straightened out.
  • Options
    Ipswich lost again to stay below us...interestingly of the 3 promoted teams, Huddersfield are currently doing best and are now 6th, after winning at the Massives tonight
  • Options

Yes there are many worse.

Let's hope we are playing some of them soon - starting on Saturday at Ipswich!

• Options
    edited September 2012
    As our first team currently stands, no , maybe a fully fit Fuller and a returning Wiggins and some jiggery pokery in the squad will change the answer
    But at this moment in time no and luckily it doesn't matter till the end of the season .
    Derby and palace will be bottom half imo and they embarrassed us for an hour before we got going / or they eased off
    P'boro are currently worse than us and we'll see how bad ipswich are come saturday
    But whatever the resullt the season won't depend on it , recruiting of players that improve the first team will

Still look where reading were this time last year and don't forget norwich and soton ........wibble wibble wibble
  • Options
    Better have the bad luck and bad decisions now,not next April and May! If it had been our day we would have got 4 points from those last two fixtures.We will have more than three teams under us come the day of reckoning!!
  • Options
    really?
  • Options
    richie8 said:

Better have the bad luck and bad decisions now,not next April and May! If it had been our day we would have got 4 points from those last two fixtures.We will have more than three teams under us come the day of reckoning!!

Do you actually, genuinely, believe in luck ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You could argue we were lucky to win the one match we have won. I think we're going down, I'm afraid. The Championship is very unforgiving, and if things aren't quite right at a club, you go down, simple as that. And things don't look right at the moment.

Powell talked about strengthening the team, but was unable to do so. The signings strengthened the squad, but not the first XI.
  • Options
    I thought at the beginning of the season that it was going to be tough.I didn't go along with the fanciful talk that we were going to do a Southampton or a Norwich.Last Season I could see flaws in the team ie the midfield.These needed to be addressed during the close Season,which they weren't.The majority of posters on here clearly underestimated the strength of the Championship.Are there three worse teams than us?On the evidence I have seen so far that has got to be no.But I will reserve judgement until I have seen all of the teams.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I thought at the beginning of the season that it was going to be tough.I didn't go along with the fanciful talk that we were going to do a Southampton or a Norwich.Last Season I could see flaws in the team ie the midfield.These needed to be addressed during the close Season,which they weren't.The majority of posters on here clearly underestimated the strength of the Championship.Are there three worse teams than us?On the evidence I have seen so far that has got to be no.But I will reserve judgement until I have seen all of the teams.

Agree. We didn't dominate matches in League One in central midfield. Promotion was based on a strong defence and having enough to score at the right end. Hollands & Stephens looked lightweight in League One. We absolutely needed a commanding presence, a ball winner. But where Wolves got one in Tongo Doumbia and Bolton got Keith Andrews, we presumably couldn't afford one. Central midfield is probably the most important area of the pitch in the Championship - protecting your defence and setting up attacks.
  • Options
    Although I was being a bit negative on Tuesday, it's definitely too early to be thinking lIke this. One thing about the Championship is that the situation constantly changes; Palace were awful for the first three games and have played well for the last three, I thought Forest looked great against us-apparently they were awful the other night - there are loads of other examples and will be throughout the season.
    Knee jerk reactions are silly and threads on that basis are usually shown up later on-fingers crossed in March or April, we'll look back at this thread and laugh heartily whilst sitting safely in mid table enjoying meaningless end of season games....
  • Options

It's too early to tell

As Mao Tse Tung said, when asked what had been the impact of the French Revolution on human history!

Excellent.
  • Options
    Oh those Russians !! ... or was he Chinese ?
  • Options
    Don't look at the league tables til Christmas. Or ever.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    dickplumb said:

Agree with you there Dick, I said the same thing about the midfield last season, of course we won the league and 101 pts isn't to be sniffed at but there were games where we relied on good solid defending and the ability to poach the odd goal...Bournemouth away springs to mind.
  • Options
    The "This team walked league one and was bought with the Championship in mind so we don't need any signings or to worry at all" optimism seems to have evaporated. When do we panic? : - )

Personally, I still think this is a decent squad but one that is playing within itself. A fit Fuller, a DM like NRC plus a big dose of belief and we'll be OK
  • Options
    6 games.