Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CHARLTON.....childhood dream!

Comments

• Options
    Birchtree - here is a thread that will be of interest for you to read.

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/41914/new-article-living-in-charlton-village-in-the-195060s/p1
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Fossdene was better than Charlton Manor!

Not in my day!
  • Options
    Thank you curb, that was a very interesting read :)

• Options
    Fossdene school was actually nearer to where I lived that C. Manor. My parents didn't want me crossing the main road to get to it though. I did hear through the grape vine that some of the Fossy kids were woozes, not exactly street wise if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    @birchtree welcome aboard
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

did you ever have a fight with gladstone big rob
    Went to Fossdene Nursery/Infants, then transferred to Sherrington, before 8 years in Bloomfield, 4 years at art college, I year postgraduate... you get less time for murder these day's, still meet the same type of people mind you?
    What years were you at Bloomfield Ken? </blockquote

1962-1969: Same time as Lou Martin from the Rory Gallagher band, the guy who used to play the piano, in the school choir. (Lou passed away a couple of weeks ago) music teacher was Halford......
  • Options
    This sudden out of the blue rambling reminds me of the worst bits of 'Catcher In The Rye.' Nevertheless it is quite refreshing to see 'Charlton Life' being used so literally. Doesn't the 'black guy' have a name? I think he could become quite a central character.
  • Options

. Doesn't the 'black guy' have a name? I think he could become quite a central character.

We should invite him to The Valley, along with Peter Smith...it would increase our ethnic quota and bolster the ranks of the B-Mob as well...
  • Options
    Thanks for your comment jimmymelrose. If you read mt post properly you would know that the "black guy" came from outside of our school and he definitely wasn't into introductions!!
  • Options
    birchtree said:

Fossdene school was actually nearer to where I lived that C. Manor. My parents didn't want me crossing the main road to get to it though. I did hear through the grape vine that some of the Fossy kids were woozes, not exactly street wise if you know what I mean.

did you or your parents ever think of campaigning for a lollipop man?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Went to Fossdene Nursery/Infants, then transferred to Sherrington, before 8 years in Bloomfield, 4 years at art college, I year postgraduate... you get less time for murder these day's, still meet the same type of people mind you?
    What years were you at Bloomfield Ken?
    Cheers Ken, you left as I was starting so we missed each other
  • Options

birchtree said:

Enough for now, I will post some more of my life and times in Charlton another time.

is that really necessary ?

He thinks so? You don't have to read it
  • Options

This sudden out of the blue rambling reminds me of the worst bits of 'Catcher In The Rye.' Nevertheless it is quite refreshing to see 'Charlton Life' being used so literally. Doesn't the 'black guy' have a name? I think he could become quite a central character.

One of the Cokers?
  • Options
    JT said:

This.
  • Options

One of the Cokers?
    wouldn't be surprised
  • Options
    any more yet
  • Options
    edited September 2012

BIG_ROB said:

What years were you at Bloomfield Ken?
    Sorry to read about Lou Martin.

I used to play football with his younger brother Peter back in the day. He was quite a skilful, cultured player - compared to me anyway!

RIP
  • Options
    Heavy stuff, sorry to hear this.
  • Options
    If you've got writer's block can I suggest that in Chapter 2 the black guy comes back and does this:

youtube.com/watch?v=8jgGK4NJ8Hk&feature=related
  • Options
    birchtree said:

There was a teacher named Miss Denyer, and for some strange reason she took a real shine to me. On a cold winter's day she would warm my hands on the radiator,

Is that what they used to call it back in the day?!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lame comment
  • Options
    any prediction for the ipswich match birchtree
  • Options
    birchtree has dissapeared or is he just fed up with the in house squabbling
  • Options

birchtree has dissapeared or is he just fed up with the in house squabbling

Birchtree not been on CL since 2015.
    Bloody Belgians driving fans away.
  • Options
    Tragic!
    Having introduced us to such characters as Gladstone, "The Black Man" and Peter one-fight-a-day;
    and to just leave it there.
  • Options
    Hello birchtree, I am 11years older than you, but did the same route, Charlton Manor, then Charlton Secondary. Secondary school was split in two in those days, younger at one school nearer Woolwich, (last time I heard it was an adults training school, the other school was where the fire station is now. Remember Mr Stead, but none of the other names. I believe Mr Goodwin was there when I was, I believe he decided one day to punish a group of us for taking the mickey out of him. He used a trainer across our backside. He started with the ones he thought less serious, the first, one slap, the second two etc. Unfortunately, there were 7 of us and I was the seventh, he assumed I was the ringleader, as if? Wait for your next instalment
  • Options
    I miss JT's gifs.
  • Options
    anyone know if Birchtree got a ticket for Millwall
  • Options
    Great idea to bring up this thread Bert.  Read every word.  This is what makes Charlton Life what it is.  Unique.