Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

new i phone 5

13»

Comments

• Options
    The amount I use the phone it's worth it. Use it for everything.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

buckshee said:

Vinnie V. said:

£529! That's a decent P.C.

A windows one maybe , not a decent one.

Anyone who thinks Apple Pc's are more 'decent' than Windows based is quite obviously an amateur - or a Hobbit.
    this. Apple computers are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. You could get a windows equivelant for a much much lower price than apple sell.
    Its not that - its just what professional company uses Apple Os based computers rather than Windows? Unless of course they want to draw pretty pictures (probably of Hobbits) .Certainly none of the companies i've worked for have, and thats quite a few all around the planet.
    Anybody who wants to believe that Apple PC's are better than Windows are either spotty or naive or stupid, or (more likely) all three.
  • Options

buckshee said:

Vinnie V. said:

Anyone who thinks Apple Pc's are more 'decent' than Windows based is quite obviously an amateur - or a Hobbit.
    this. Apple computers are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. You could get a windows equivelant for a much much lower price than apple sell.
    Its not that - its just what professional company uses Apple Os based computers rather than Windows? Unless of course they want to draw pretty pictures (probably of Hobbits) .Certainly none of the companies i've worked for have, and thats quite a few all around the planet.
    Anybody who wants to believe that Apple PC's are better than Windows are either spotty or naive or stupid, or (more likely) all three.
    I'm actually typing this from my imac and i need it for my course and for editing work that occasionally comes my way. So film and tv industry uses them and other media industries do. I also own an iphone as i previously said, but i'm still very guarded in my praise for apple and very critical of them.
  • Options

buckshee said:

Vinnie V. said:

Surely you're aware that PCs were a cheap copy of the Macs when they first came out? That's how they became dominant, and people being people went for the cheap option, despite the fact they were nothing but a copy that was far less durable and more prone to problems/viruses etc. Not trying to show off at all, just thought that was common knowledge.

That's why I don't feel bad at all that as annoying as Apple's products sometimes are, their phones and MP3 players far outsell the competition. They were ripped off and were second best for a long time for innovation that they had.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

buckshee said:

Vinnie V. said:

Surely you're aware that PCs were a cheap copy of the Macs when they first came out? That's how they became dominant, and people being people went for the cheap option, despite the fact they were nothing but a copy that was far less durable and more prone to problems/viruses etc. Not trying to show off at all, just thought that was common knowledge.

That's why I don't feel bad at all that as annoying as Apple's products sometimes are, their phones and MP3 players far outsell the competition. They were ripped off and were second best for a long time for innovation that they had.
    pretty incorrect, the only difference between a mac and a PC is the software, under the hood they're pretty much the same. Apple hasnt invented a new product or piece of hardware for decades, since Wozniak left. They've just taken ideas from other companies and products and put it in their own and put a massive price tag on it. Thus the big legal battle atm between Apple, Samsung and Google. PC's are only more prone to viruses because a lot more people use them, you can still get viruses for macs, but because no one really used them for so long and its a different coding system people haven't made viruses as many viruses and so are much rarer. You can purchase and continually upgrade a PC and do your own "housecleaning" for less than buying a mac and then the "Apple care" after it. Not to mention Windows is a far more versatile system than OS X.
  • Options
    Ok but my point is Apple had the idea first, spent ages on the project and Microsoft got wind of it, made an inferior copy and sold it to the masses before Apple even had a chance to get started. Therefore I don't mind paying a bit more for an Apple product.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Ok but my point is Apple had the idea first, spent ages on the project and Microsoft got wind of it, made an inferior copy and sold it to the masses before Apple even had a chance to get started. Therefore I don't mind paying a bit more for an Apple product.

If it was that inferior it wouldn't have sold as much, and surely it's Apple's fault in the first place that they didn't manage to patent, copyright and keep a lid on these supposed ideas that they obviously must of had years before anyone else. If that's the case, why did it take them so long to get it out to the masses? They had the advantage of time and probably of resources, given no-one else had ever had the idea, but they still managed to fall behind in the race to Microsoft. Therefore I don't feel the need to pay 'a bit more' (twice the price) just because it has an Apple logo on the back of it
  • Options
    Considering getting one. Never had a contract before though.
    For a 2 year contract, 16gb iphone5, I am likely to need to set aside almost 2grand arnt I? Especially if I want 4g. But even then, this country being utter sh*te, doesnt even have propper 4g networks really..

But then is it really worth getting it and just using 3g? Seems a bit pointless.
    Plus the fact I just shelled out £1200+ on a 'decent' (windows) pc..
  • Options
    Got a galaxy s3 and an iPhone 4s as I am an international drug baron

And the 4s feels like a better phone due to its weight and sturdy build

The galaxy feels like a cheaper version of the IPhone

Yet the galaxy has a bigger brighter screen

Works better on the tinterweb and when playing around with the phone

The iPhone though works better as a phone in my opinion and is more user friendly in the telephone stakes

But out of the 2 the galaxy is better for a hand held smart device the camera is mentally good for a phone

The iPhone 5 would need to improve in many aspects to beat it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

buckshee said:

Vinnie V. said:

I'm actually typing this from my imac and i need it for my course and for editing work that occasionally comes my way. So film and tv industry uses them and other media industries do. I also own an iphone as i previously said, but i'm still very guarded in my praise for apple and very critical of them.
    Snap, Kent addick, the media, print , and photography it still remains the computer/manufacturer of choice.
    I also have a guarded attitude towards Apple, Not sure I would want to rush out and buy the newest version..... but probably will be thinking about it when my contract allows me to upgrade. I have a 4s which was supposed to be able to take the upgrades, but cannot see how it can process the data as the new one has an a6 processor, or two of them, to increase speed etc. I think I will be in the minority, and keep mine till I can upgrade, which by the way did cost me a little last time ( having got a so called free phone).£40. I also find the staff at Apple rather superior, and if the kit you have is over 1 year old as 'old' . Noticed they have changed the charger as well, mine frayed after 8 months, as did the previous one, so not all the products are that 'perfect'. As i informed the sales person, I buy them , you just sell them, Yes I got a replacement, after the accussed me of hanging the phone from the lead.... which of course is incorrect as i do that to my power mac pro?......

• Options
    buckshee said:

shine166 said:

no more google maps on the i5 either

free apple maps with turn by turn navigation instead

Didn't Google Maps do that anyway? Was in the motor the other day lost and to my surprise Google Maps gave me full voice navigation, didn't even know it had it!

• Options
    We'll see what the prices are on contract and then we'll really be able to tell how much of a rip off they are this time round.

The 4s buy the way cost about .£60 to manufacture and most of the parts are made by Samsung which, could be a problem supply wise if they continue to sue them.
  • Options
    Whatever the prices are you need to add £25 because Apple changed the connector socket for no good reason and now you need an adapter to make your shiny new penis phone work on any of your old accessories.
  • Options

buckshee said:

shine166 said:

no more google maps on the i5 either

free apple maps with turn by turn navigation instead

Didn't Google Maps do that anyway? Was in the motor the other day lost and to my surprise Google Maps gave me full voice navigation, didn't even know it had it!

Like panoramic photos it's another innovation that was freely available. I use an ipod touch and have a work ipad because my boss is a fiend, and while they're decent products I can't understand why they get such blind loyalty.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Whatever the prices are you need to add £25 because Apple changed the connector socket for no good reason and now you need an adapter to make your shiny new penis phone work on any of your old accessories.

That's because people like me insist that there product should be capable of lasting at least a year, on a 2 year contract
    So apple have decided to upgrade the product, and the price and us 'spotty hobbits' just hand over the dosh...... simples?.
  • Options

Rizzo said:

That's because people like me insist that there product should be capable of lasting at least a year, on a 2 year contract
    So apple have decided to upgrade the product, and the price and us 'spotty hobbits' just hand over the dosh...... simples?.
    Well you'll get the new charger with it so what other accessories will there be? Not that many surely
  • Options
    But why manufacture a specific charger for this phone, I do not think it will be of any use to the other apple phones, imac's, docking stations,mac book pros, that I have at home and in the studio........Not very 'green' is it.......
  • Options
    edited September 2012

But why manufacture a specific charger for this phone, I do not think it will be of any use to the other apple phones, imac's, docking stations,mac book pros, that I have at home and in the studio........Not very 'green' is it.......

The new ipod touch uses it as well.

As does the new ipod nano
  • Options
    buckshee said:

The new ipod touch uses it as well.

As does the new ipod nano
    And there is your answer.
    It should fit retrospectively to the old iPhone speaker docks, alarm radios, car chargers etc.
    You shouldnt have to pay again to use these products.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Rizzo said:

If you're happy paying £25-£30 for a charger you're mental
  • Options
    You'll be able to get them on ebay for a quid soon.
  • Options
    What WSS said
  • Options
    WSS said:

You'll be able to get them on ebay for a quid soon.

Exactly
  • Options
  • Options

Rizzo said:

If you're happy paying £25-£30 for a charger you're mental
    Obviously you have not read my posts on this subject......
    As even this this posting said why would i need another charger seperate charger?. when I have several devices that use these poorly made devices....
    The 'spotty hobbit' quip relates to what one of the other poster claimed us mac users were......
    Ever heard of irony mate?......or what some call 'taking the piss' .....
  • Options

The amount I use the phone it's worth it. Use it for everything.

Do they dispense bog paper now then? I am impressed. What next - the iphone/wok/inflatable doll combo?

• Options
    I'm a loyal Mac user for 20 years and will continue to be so. I have never had a serious problem hardware/OS with a Mac except a couple that were fixed under warranty. 20 years, multiple computers in home and office. That is an impressive record when I listen to other people's PC horror stories.
    That said, and I'm hoping for some sensible non-tribal advice here, I've been far less happy with my iPhone 4. It may be just my phone but it seems to fail to pick up signals both voice networks and wifi- that people sitting next to me pick up on their smartphones. And the headsets have been a disgrace for their unreliability. And my wife's HTC seems to be much better with photos. Given the price I almost think I should punish them for this by switching to another brand of smartphone.
    But the question I have about say a Samsung is this - how much seamless synch with my Mac computers will I lose? I connect up my iPhone, and there's my music, my emails, my diary, my contacts, all synched in a few seconds. That won't be the case if I switch to a Samsung right? Anyone with a Mac computer and a different brand smartphone?
  • Options

buckshee said:

Vinnie V. said:

If you work in most sectors I guess not but as others have said it's the standard in the creative sector. I've been using them from 94/95 and also occasionally used windows and IMO Apple's OS is far superior.

They are too expensive but IT at the company i work for (who are tighter than....) have just replaced the admin PCs with iMacs also as over the long term it will work out cheaper and be more stable.

I choose iPhones because they sync easy my MacBook and the computers at work.

As for the iPhone 5, it doesn't seem an essential upgrade.