Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

new i phone 5

Just been sent the new 'i' phone 5 keynote from apple.
http://www.apple.com/
All very slick and a thing of beauty to behold, then at the end it crashed safari?.......

Comments

• Options
    :-|
  • Options
    Dont you mean IPhone 5? Or am i just an old git who doesnt keep up with the times?
  • Options

Dont you mean IPhone 5? Or am i just an old git who doesnt keep up with the times?

I stand corrected.....seems as though it crashed my virtual memory as well?

• Options
    Its much ado about nothing imo
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Its much ado about nothing imo

I agree but when can I purchase it . Please , I need to know !!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Pre orders 14/9 with delivery 21/9.
  • Options
    Perfect timing, just watching Harry Enfield on Dave, "I saw you coming", anyone...
  • Options
    I wouldn't touch it for a while to be honest. I'm a big fan of iPhones and most of the Apple product range but do not trust any new products they come out with.

The iPhone 4 antenna issue was laughable at best, but down right dangerous at worst. Similar for some of the LCD panels in the original iMacs, dodgy testing ports inside the Apple Cinema Displays when they originally came out and the cases that would crack as you type on the old white MacBooks.
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say that Rothko loves it.

Can I be the first to say that Leroy thinks it's a pile of crap.
  • Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what it can do that my Nokia N95 couldn't do six years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcpolo said:

I'm still trying to figure out what it can do that my Nokia N95 couldn't do six years ago.

To be a thing of beauty and admiration by your friends.......
    You will be expecting the iphone to have decent reception , and be able to get through to people on the phone down the valley at halftime?.....

• Options
    I had to stop watching the Video after they talked about measuring the case aspects in microns!!!!!!
    WTF!!!!!!! Its a flipping phone.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

The N95 could record HD videos?

• Options
    Technologically it's a great advance. Making the phone taller yet thinner and lighter is very clever. Adding LTE and a new processor that is twice the speed and increasing battery life is another significant advancement. Obviously all this ignores what the competition is offering.

However, as good as the technical advances are there are no new features (other than a bigger screen) that would justify upgrading if there is any real cost involved. This view is more significant (in my opinion) bearing in mind that we will have little (or no) 4G coverage in the UK for the best part of a year. The thing that I find easiest to justify the cost are improvements in the camera. When all's said and done this is what I use to capture memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. If I can spend a few hundred quid to improve that then it might prove to be a good investment. As it is I think I will pass on this iPhone and wait for the next one.

It will still sell in the millions though, and will probably overtake the iPhone 4S as the best selling smart phone in the history of the world, the universe and everything. After all it has an apple on it and it's new.....
  • Options

I had to stop watching the Video after they talked about measuring the case aspects in microns!!!!!!
    WTF!!!!!!! Its a flipping phone.

Weren't the microns defeated by Captain Scarlet?
  • Options
    iPhone 5, "if you don't like it, you probably aren't cool enough to like it"
  • Options
    After such a (relatively) long wait, Apple needed to come out with something amazing. And this isn't it. They just seem to be playing catch-up now.

If you take the Galaxy S3 as it's main like-for-like competitor, there's only 4G, which (I beleive) there's still no real date for in the UK. The LTE 4G S3 ("Titanium Grey") will be out soon, so what advantage does this leave the iPhone with until whenever v6 is out?
  • Options
    The real question is, do Apple need to reinvent the device everytime, like Samsung, HTC and Nokia have to do, and the answer is no, and if you're EE (Orange and T Mobile) and are launching 4G LTE in the next few weeks, you've got your device to launch a network with in a massive way.
  • Options
    8mp camera is standard nowadays isn't it?

& panoramic photos have been on cameras for a while too ain't they?

Taller, thinner, lighter...sounds like the S2 and the S3.
  • Options
    Provided it let's you make phone calls and sent the occasional text, then it's fine with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

After such a (relatively) long wait, Apple needed to come out with something amazing. And this isn't it. They just seem to be playing catch-up now.

If you take the Galaxy S3 as it's main like-for-like competitor, there's only 4G, which (I beleive) there's still no real date for in the UK. The LTE 4G S3 ("Titanium Grey") will be out soon, so what advantage does this leave the iPhone with until whenever v6 is out?

The Galaxy S3 is now outselling the iPhone 4S in the USA. I guess the iPhone 5 will boost Apple sales somewhat for the rest of the year, but they needed something new and they didn't deliver. A long 4S - when the 4S failed to deliver the revolution expected - really won't cut it. LTE isn't it either, at least for the UK markets, as it won't be widely available in the UK for another couple of years (plus I believe the iPhone is designed for USA frequencies which aren't compatible with the UK LTE's). Non-Apple handsets have had LTE for a while in the USA of course.

I see this as evidence not only that Apple are now playing catch up, but that they're finally going to suffer from their complacency. Unlike Android and Windows, IOS has remained essentially the same for several versions now. Familiarity is one thing, but it means the user experience isn't really moving on. I suspect Steve Jobs was mourned deeply again yesterday.
  • Options
    In truth I suspect that we have almost reached maturity in smart phone development. As the phones of today are almost perfect with the features they offer there is little we can expect to 'blow us away' when a new one comes out.

I know that the developers have been bringing out new features that we all think are amazing but never even thought of before they were shown to us, but I think there, genuinely, is little more they can do to improve these phones.
  • Options
    I personally think the iPhone peaked at the 4. The 4S wasn't a big enough jump to justify upgrading, and now there isn't anything the 5 has that other phones on the market doesn't, phones that are going to be a lot cheaper and have been out for long enough for any bugs etc. to be ironed out.
  • Options
    Like that they've put a new connector on it so you can't use the special dock or hdmi cable that you paid a fortune for the last time, without expensive adaptors. I think at some point they'll reveal that it was all an experiment to see how many times you could pull the adoring fanboys' pants down before they cotton on. If the new iPad requires you to buy special £200 gloves to operate and fires a jet of runny shit into your mouth when you open an app, you'd still get a queue of hobbits outside Carphone Warehouse on launch day.
  • Options

Technologically it's a great advance. Making the phone taller yet thinner and lighter is very clever. Adding LTE and a new processor that is twice the speed and increasing battery life is another significant advancement. Obviously all this ignores what the competition is offering.

However, as good as the technical advances are there are no new features (other than a bigger screen) that would justify upgrading if there is any real cost involved. This view is more significant (in my opinion) bearing in mind that we will have little (or no) 4G coverage in the UK for the best part of a year. The thing that I find easiest to justify the cost are improvements in the camera. When all's said and done this is what I use to capture memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. If I can spend a few hundred quid to improve that then it might prove to be a good investment. As it is I think I will pass on this iPhone and wait for the next one.

It will still sell in the millions though, and will probably overtake the iPhone 4S as the best selling smart phone in the history of the world, the universe and everything. After all it has an apple on it and it's new.....

You forgot to add " and people are really gullible ", KHA...
  • Options
    Just because people like new gadgets and gizmos, it doesn't mean they are 'gullible', it just means that value and get.more enjoyment out of those things than others.

Read a poster on here say on Facebook yesterday he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, getting a new iPhone is his only vice. If that's his thing, then good luck to him.
  • Options

Like that they've put a new connector on it so you can't use the special dock or hdmi cable that you paid a fortune for the last time, without expensive adaptors. I think at some point they'll reveal that it was all an experiment to see how many times you could pull the adoring fanboys' pants down before they cotton on. If the new iPad requires you to buy special £200 gloves to operate and fires a jet of runny shit into your mouth when you open an app, you'd still get a queue of hobbits outside Carphone Warehouse on launch day.

Wow, jets runny shit in my mouth when i open an App - where's the queue? I must have that.

TBH, who wants to buy an ordinary over-priced product from an up-their-own-arse closed development company in the first place?.
    Now, where's my Nokia Brick?
  • Options
    The thing that gets me about all these devices is the built-in obsolescence. As soon as you have one they are 'old-hat'. Didn't happen in the 'good old days'. Things were built to last. What ever happened to The Titanic?
  • Options
    Where can i pre order one?
  • Options

The thing that gets me about all these devices is the built-in obsolescence. As soon as you have one they are 'old-hat'.

I think more and more people are starting to look at it this way. This and the fact that most phone networks will almost insist on a 24 month contract probably means that most people will start to update to every other iPhone. It is possible, of course, to buy a new iPhone without a contract direct from Apple and put the sim card (that has 12 months left on contract) in the new handset, but this can be very expensive, and with such small incremental changes each year it becomes more than it's worth for more and more people.

I've had all of the iPhones since the 3G, and I've paid a small fortune for them in total, but there comes a point where I just have better things to spend my money on.