Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Orlando Tips

Comments

• Options
    Kennedy Space Centre was one I wanted to do, but couldn't convince my wife and daughter. We are planning on going back in December again and I will take it in on my own if needs be.

A lot of people don't speak too highly of Busch Gardens but I thought it was great. Well worth the extended coach journey.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. £2k for 4 tickets is bloody painful though.
  • Options
    The good thing about the hopper passes is if you go again and don't use your days up this time you can use them the next time.
  • Options
    So many options... I think it's going to have to be dropping bush gardens & sea world for space station....

Tough call!!!
  • Options
    If it's sun-and-fun for the Mrs. and kids you may want to drive an hour east to Cocoa Beach. Lots of sand and plenty of distractions for the adults.
  • Options
    Seen this. Expansion on the Harry potter section at IOA.

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/universal/harry-potter-expansion/
  • Options
    If you want to do everything then you really need to plan it properly, there is no point deciding the night before that - how about Magic Kingdom and getting there at 11. You'll likely be in for a big shock. Get to the parks for before opening time. Parking the car and actually entering The Magic Kingdom can take over an hour in peak times, so good luck with that idea.

Buy The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2014 and read it, it really has some great tips. Crowd calenders are very useful for planning

undercovertourist.com/planning/when-to-visit.html

touringplans.com/

You really should do Sea World and Busch Gardens if you have time, Kennedy Space Center is ok but get's very busy like other parks.

Just wherever you are going, get there very early
  • Options
    So the decision is...

Disney ticket 14 day unlimited

Universal 2 park bonus ticket

Kennedy space center

I'm planning on booking the universal tickets with virgin (due to getting in potter world early). The disney tickets with American attractions.co.uk.

Not sure where to get the space station tickets though.

I'm now putting together a list of places to eat.

Red Lobster
    Rain Forest cafe
    Cheesecake Factory
    TGI Fridays

The list so far. Would like somewhere that has some jazz/blues kind of thing with decent food. The disney restaurants so far are not coming out that great when I've looked into them...
  • Options
    Not sure you have read anyone's tips on this thread, I think maybe 3 people have recommended to you Bahama Breeze.....

Forget Rainforest Cafe unless you enjoy queueing so much, very similar is T-Rex in Downtown Disney. Tony Romas is great for ribs, there is one left on I-Drive. Boma in the Animal Kingdom Hotel does a very good buffet for a decent price. TGI's, really?

14 day unlimited ticket gets you additional benefit of going to the water parks for £274, we didn't bother with the water parks the last few times as after 11am they were unbearable. We got the standard no frills 7 day pass which is $329 atm - about £200 from U.S. site.
  • Options

Not sure you have read anyone's tips on this thread, I think maybe 3 people have recommended to you Bahama Breeze.....

Forget Rainforest Cafe unless you enjoy queueing so much, very similar is T-Rex in Downtown Disney. Tony Romas is great for ribs, there is one left on I-Drive. Boma in the Animal Kingdom Hotel does a very good buffet for a decent price. TGI's, really?

14 day unlimited ticket gets you additional benefit of going to the water parks for £274, we didn't bother with the water parks the last few times as after 11am they were unbearable. We got the standard no frills 7 day pass which is $329 atm - about £200 from U.S. site.

It's not a case of me not reading the tips as I appreciate at read every single one. It's just the decision process so far. I heard from friends that TGI and rain forest were good?

Bahama breeze is something I will take a closer look at again as you seem adamant it's good.

I thought the 14 day ticket would be better in case we wanted to go back to any of the parks... I mean if I got a 7 day ticket it would open up the option of going Sea world or Bush Gardens..?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing as I am here in the States I am unaware of UK-based websites that offer discounted tickets to the Kennedy Space Center, but this is their website link:
    http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tickets.aspx
  • Options

Seeing as I am here in the States I am unaware of UK-based websites that offer discounted tickets to the Kennedy Space Center, but this is their website link:
    http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tickets.aspx

Last time we went - a few years ago now - we just strolled up to the ticket office window bought tickets and wandered in. Is it really that much more popular these days?
  • Options
    if you really want any advice or help with planning your holiday use the attached site, it is excellant, the wife has used it twice when we went. http://www.thedibb.co.uk/ they tell what days particular parks are less busy than others, we actually booked our accomodation from one of the people that owned a villa out there as they had nobody booked in we got it for £750 for 2 weeks. It was in the windsor hills complex and was the nuts.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but was wondering if anyone has been to Long Beach (NY) and whether they would stay outside Manhattan when visiting/sightseeing.
  • Options

Slightly off topic, but was wondering if anyone has been to Long Beach (NY) and whether they would stay outside Manhattan when visiting/sightseeing.

Don't ruin my thread with your talk of NY ;)
  • Options

Don't ruin my thread with your talk of NY ;)... @northstandsteve I will have a look at that mate.
  • Options
    Just back, best trip to Orlando and the parks ever. Maybe the kids being a little older and appreciating it more helped, but simply fantastic.

If taking kids and wanting to do certain experiences, here's a few musts:

Magic Kingdom - Belle's Storytime (Fantasyland) get a fast pass- it is far more than what it suggests.

Hollywood Studios - if your kid(s) want to do Jedi Training, you need to be in between 9-915 and registered at the booth/room opposite Star Tours/Indiana Jones show and next to Pop Idol experience. If two adults are with the kids, one should queue there with kids and wait, the other get Fast Passes for Toy Story mania at the very least in a fast pass queue you will pass en route to the Jedi Academy registration area. Also, Star Tours now is 3D and has 53/54 different missions, so is a must do once, twice or three times. Second time on Hoth/Naboo was mind blowing...

Animal Kingdom - if you get there at park opening and visit Rafiki for an autograph as you go in you may be one of 4 families selected to be part of the parade in the afternoon. We were very lucky to have been on Mickey's float and the kids will never forget that experience. Maybe we were simply very very lucky on that day? Also, do the jungle safari back of the park first thing, as virtually all of the animals are out and about.

Epcot - if your kids wish to meet Elsa and Anna from Frozen, head straight there (Norway country area) at park opening and leave one parent in the queue whilst others visit other countries. It's 90 mins to 2 hours wait, minimum, up to 4, yes 4 hours if you stroll up at say 11am. They were the most popular attraction in Disney and Disney have sold out of pretty much all Frozen related merchandise at the moment.

Universal Studios - Spiderman on Islands of Adventure is a must, as is Despicable Me in the Studios park. I was disappointed by Harry Potter on the whole and think the UK attraction is better all round for fans of that series.

If you want best deals on clothes etc, Premium Outlets near Mall of Millenia offer better deals than Premium Outlets near Downtown Disney. Despite the fact the latter is outlet store based, the stores there know they have a captive Disney spending clientele, so charge more than the one at the top of the I-drive.

Cheers
  • Options
    Pavo said:

Just back, best trip to Orlando and the parks ever. Maybe the kids being a little older and appreciating it more helped, but simply fantastic.

If taking kids and wanting to do certain experiences, here's a few musts:

Magic Kingdom - Belle's Storytime (Fantasyland) get a fast pass- it is far more than what it suggests.

Hollywood Studios - if your kid(s) want to do Jedi Training, you need to be in between 9-915 and registered at the booth/room opposite Star Tours/Indiana Jones show and next to Pop Idol experience. If two adults are with the kids, one should queue there with kids and wait, the other get Fast Passes for Toy Story mania at the very least in a fast pass queue you will pass en route to the Jedi Academy registration area. Also, Star Tours now is 3D and has 53/54 different missions, so is a must do once, twice or three times. Second time on Hoth/Naboo was mind blowing...

Animal Kingdom - if you get there at park opening and visit Rafiki for an autograph as you go in you may be one of 4 families selected to be part of the parade in the afternoon. We were very lucky to have been on Mickey's float and the kids will never forget that experience. Maybe we were simply very very lucky on that day? Also, do the jungle safari back of the park first thing, as virtually all of the animals are out and about.

Epcot - if your kids wish to meet Elsa and Anna from Frozen, head straight there (Norway country area) at park opening and leave one parent in the queue whilst others visit other countries. It's 90 mins to 2 hours wait, minimum, up to 4, yes 4 hours if you stroll up at say 11am. They were the most popular attraction in Disney and Disney have sold out of pretty much all Frozen related merchandise at the moment.

Universal Studios - Spiderman on Islands of Adventure is a must, as is Despicable Me in the Studios park. I was disappointed by Harry Potter on the whole and think the UK attraction is better all round for fans of that series.

If you want best deals on clothes etc, Premium Outlets near Mall of Millenia offer better deals than Premium Outlets near Downtown Disney. Despite the fact the latter is outlet store based, the stores there know they have a captive Disney spending clientele, so charge more than the one at the top of the I-drive.

Cheers

Glad to hear you had a great time. You come back at a turning point (we hope) in the season.

Did you end up having to pay for parking at the parks?

Any places you went to eat which you thought were amazing?

Welcome back. Thanks for your post!
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited February 2014
    Typically British question that first one lol
  • Options
    Thanks Pavo. Going with a disney ticket only. One of those 9 days for the price of 7 jobbies. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JT said:

Typically British question that first one lol

I thought a weather question would of been!!!
  • Options

So the decision is...

Disney ticket 14 day unlimited

Universal 2 park bonus ticket

Kennedy space center

I'm planning on booking the universal tickets with virgin (due to getting in potter world early). The disney tickets with American attractions.co.uk.

Not sure where to get the space station tickets though.

I'm now putting together a list of places to eat.

Red Lobster
    Rain Forest cafe
    Cheesecake Factory
    TGI Fridays

The list so far. Would like somewhere that has some jazz/blues kind of thing with decent food. The disney restaurants so far are not coming out that great when I've looked into them...

Would say red lobster is a bit cheap and nasty, boston lobster is similar but better.

While rainforest and TGI are better than their equivalent uk relations they're still pretty much the bottom end. I'd not see the point of going that far and then spending time in places that we have here...
  • Options
    Cray, did bus transfers to parks throughout the trip. They run about 90 mins before park opening and 90 after, til 230am on both Saturdays we were there. Otherwise was $15 a day I believe. Cheesecake Factory, Bahama Breeze and Ruby Tuesday (Florida Mall) were all good, as was the Coral Reef (Epcot) and Grill in the Shark area of Seaworld. Agree that Rainforest and TRex (we did latter) is same as Uk, but more generous portions and stronger drinks (latter very nice).
    RotW, I bought the 9 for 7 and 14 day tickets came through, which we didn't need, but worth noting. Enjoy fellas!
  • Options
    It's been a few years since I was there but prior to that did the better part of 10 years on the spin.

Absolutely love the place and can confirm that most of the advice on here is sound. As regards tickets I always found that they were cheaper if purchased in the UK from Disney and Universal shops. the outlets at Bluewater were the best value with staff who knew what you were talking about. May have changed by now but maybe worth checking out.

Restaurants, can only echo most comments above. Ruby Tuesday is a chain and very good. Perkins diners can't be beaten if you like desserts or Denny's for breakfast or the blue plate specials it's a nationwide chain of old school diners and the locals wherever I've been in the States tend to eat there. In Florida there is a wonderful plastic Irish chain the name of which escapes me at the moment (possibly Deneheys) that will serve you a wonderful Guiness and very good food with some of the best looking Waitresses you'll find (they tend to be Disney wannabees).

If you're going this year enjoy.

• Options
    @pavo How much did you pay for your disney tickets?
  • Options
    Can't believe this is on Page 3 and no one has mentioned Hooters yet!
  • Options
    Hearing that disney prices are going up!
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Prices for park tickets don't go down, get them early as they have a long validity. I'm pretty sure we used the same website that Clem says. If you going in peak times get fast passes, it'll really enhance your enjoyment.

• Options
    IOS and universal tickets bought incuding early entrance :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Just bought disney 9 day ultimate tickets... £519!!!!