Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Orlando Tips

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Flying into Fort Lauderdale then driving up to Orlando, staying at Regal Palms resort, then short flight to NY and home. Managed to get flights out for £300 per person (Norweigan Air) and back from NY for £400 (Virgin) both non stop and in kids summer school holidays. I would like some advice on staying at Fort Lauderdale, or somewhere between there and Orlando. Thinking of getting 4 day passes for WDW, and separate ones for Universal. Any advice would be appreciated. Does it rain every afternoon in August?
    Just to add, any ideas on family friendly hotels in NY that don't cost a packet? Think I will be skint by then...
  • Options
    I've been mystery shopping Orlando holidays this week. One tip is to try and fly mid week. It knocked £3k off a 2 week package on one of my shops. Good luck.
  • Options

Flying into Fort Lauderdale then driving up to Orlando, staying at Regal Palms resort, then short flight to NY and home. Managed to get flights out for £300 per person (Norweigan Air) and back from NY for £400 (Virgin) both non stop and in kids summer school holidays. I would like some advice on staying at Fort Lauderdale, or somewhere between there and Orlando. Thinking of getting 4 day passes for WDW, and separate ones for Universal. Any advice would be appreciated. Does it rain every afternoon in August?
    Just to add, any ideas on family friendly hotels in NY that don't cost a packet? Think I will be skint by then...

More or less, yes BUT it depends where the shower line forms - can be different each day, somewhere between the Atlantic and Gulf coastline, usually near the middle ie Orlando. everything in the parks comes to a stop until the lightning stops. Therefore, get to parks before they open so you get maximum time. The rain will be torrential!
  • Options
    Robbo, was in Fort Lauderdale last year (didn't do Disney) and stayed at a really nice hotel on the beach which provided beds for family of 4 - I will ask my missus what it was called when I get back from work and share. I have been late July, early August before and had some heavy rain SHOWERS most afternoons, but they were short and intense, then gone. They are not holiday spoilers, sunshine state after all mate (famous last words ;). There are a bunch of hotels in Lake Buena Vista including a Wyndham and Best Western which provide free shuttle service to the WDW parks - which I have found easier than trying to remember where the bloody hire car (and what it looked like) was after 10-12 hours of Hey Diddly Dee and It's A Small World..... If you are spending 4 days in Orlando May be a good stop, not least as you are also max 5 mins away walk from Downtown Disney (but not at a character infested Disney Hotel - we all need a break).
  • Options
    I booked with virgin holidays and the start of June. Got a villa and a car.

Can not wait!!!!

Any advice on best place to find park tickets?
  • Options
    See my post above Cray - ordering mine when I get home from there later. Have served me well on last two trips and they were the best deal I could find (but others may have better ideas).
  • Options
    Pavo said:

Robbo, was in Fort Lauderdale last year (didn't do Disney) and stayed at a really nice hotel on the beach which provided beds for family of 4 - I will ask my missus what it was called when I get back from work and share. I have been late July, early August before and had some heavy rain SHOWERS most afternoons, but they were short and intense, then gone. They are not holiday spoilers, sunshine state after all mate (famous last words ;). There are a bunch of hotels in Lake Buena Vista including a Wyndham and Best Western which provide free shuttle service to the WDW parks - which I have found easier than trying to remember where the bloody hire car (and what it looked like) was after 10-12 hours of Hey Diddly Dee and It's A Small World..... If you are spending 4 days in Orlando May be a good stop, not least as you are also max 5 mins away walk from Downtown Disney (but not at a character infested Disney Hotel - we all need a break).

Staying in Orlando for two weeks (Regal Palms). How much to park at Disney World? Could I just park up the motor at one of the hotels you have named, then jump on there shuttle bus?
  • Options
    Some have attendants at the car parks mate. I'll have a look when there and let you know.
  • Options

I booked with virgin holidays and the start of June. Got a villa and a car.

Can not wait!!!!

Any advice on best place to find park tickets?

Its 7 years since we last went to Florida. Then we used a ticket agency based in the UK - the advice then was to use an agancy that send out real tickets before you go. Then, it was preferable to buying when you get there.

We used Virgin twice - they are very good. The last time they had reps standing at each 'corner' in the airport with arrow signs pointing you in the right direction. We made our villa in 2 hours from touchdown.

If your villa is in the Davenport (highway 27) area then use the Greeneway toll road to get there - its usually empty and much quicker than the 192.

If you get flexible tickets then you can fit in an extra few hours at a park on your last day by checking in early at Downtown Disney where they will take your luggage. We then headed to Seaworld for a few hours before the short trip to the airport, drop off the car and then straight to the gate.
  • Options
    Pavo said:

See my post above Cray - ordering mine when I get home from there later. Have served me well on last two trips and they were the best deal I could find (but others may have better ideas).

Ok cheers Pavo, will check that out. Is sea world & bush gardens worth doing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is sea world & bush gardens worth doing?

Definitely! Also, if you get the chance, via the bridge from Tampa, drive down to Sarasota and Longboat Key - beautiful.
  • Options

Last time I was in that neck of the woods (2009) I stayed at the Embassy Suites, Deerfield Beach, which was fine with a decent beach just across the road. I like the Embassy Suites brand for their room size and separate living/kitchen area and the nightly free drinks and snacks session (but mainly the free drinks of course!)
    As for things to do, well that depends upon what types of stuff you prefer. My personal recommendations would be the Morikami Japanese Gardens at Delray Beach (although this was perhaps more of an attraction when the American Orchid Society also had it's visitor center there and I think it's now moved.)
    Also, en route to Orlando, try the Indiro Savannahs at Fort Pierce which is well worth a visit for the wildlife (birds in particular). The site has a flourishing population of a rare bird - the Florida Scrub Jay - which may be rare but is also incredibly friendly and numbers of them are quite keen to get up close and personal. Here's a photo I took.
  • Options
    @pavo Looks a decent website for park tickets that you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Are you doing all the parks this year?
  • Options
    We are mate, bar Busch Gardens. All Disney Parks, 2 x Universal and SeaWorld, plus a bit of shopping. Busch Gardens was good fun when we went there whilst staying over near Clearwater on the West coast, SeaWorld is my favourite of the lot. Just beware of the diver's tank that pick out pearl shells for you at your choice. My wife and daughter picked out two shells each and 5 pearls appeared when they were cracked open and then came the slight sting. You find yourself in a store which offers to set the pearls in earrings, chains, you name it. Wife and daughter fall in love with pendants etc, they set, you pay - A LOT! Earrings and chain cost me about $600 on the day, which I was not expecting, albeit they still wear the items today.
  • Options
    Make sure you visit the new factory outlet mall right at the top of International Drive, absolutely superb.
    Have lunch at Bahama Breeze. Best restaurant on International Drive.
    Typhoon Lagoon is a fantastic watermark and is a great day out.
    The Irish Pub at Disney Village has great live music from around 6pm.
    Fantastic place. I was there last week and it was 58 degrees unfortunately. Very unusual but the weather is normally pretty good all year.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Make sure you visit the new factory outlet mall right at the top of International Drive, absolutely superb.
    Fantastic place. I was there last week and it was 58 degrees unfortunately. Very unusual but the weather is normally pretty good all year.

What parks did you end up doing? Any good bargains at the outlet?
  • Options
    We used owners-direct for villas with private pools. Some great offers there.
    Car hire we use carhire3000. Again some good value there. To get over car hire excess we take out a yearly worldwide policy. It costs about 50 quid. This covers us also when we go to Ireland a couple of times a year. Excellent value for money.
    Flights you can get lucky with but early booking is best. If you are prepared for a stopover then they come in cheaper.
    Park tickets are cheaper if you buy them before you go IMO.
    As there are only two of you then you will be fine but we always bring lots of water with us into the parks. It saves a fortune and as there are 5 of us that makes a difference.
    Above all else, have fun and take in a few rays:)
  • Options
    If you'd like an excuse to miss sea world watch blackfish before you go.
  • Options

If you'd like an excuse to miss sea world watch blackfish before you go.

Haha ok. I think Sea World and Bush garden might not make it to the final selections.

Anyone done the Space station?
  • Options

masicat said:

What parks did you end up doing? Any good bargains at the outlet?
    Didnt do parks as was passing through. Plenty of bargains, especially at Polo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Robbo think parking is about 10 dollars a day, re New York try the New Yorker.
  • Options

What's that? A burger, brothel or bar?

Hotel I take it.

As for Florida my head us beginning to hurt with all these locations and variety of tickets. I have come to the conclusion that I will need tickets for universal and WDW, however, they appear to have segregation within the parks, so I am getting even more confused.
    Should I just get tickets for WDW? Or will I be kicking myself for not visiting Universal?
  • Options
    Go universal mate, the rides imho opinion are better. To tell you the truth rides at Busch Gardens are the best.
  • Options

What's that? A burger, brothel or bar?

Hotel I take it.

As for Florida my head us beginning to hurt with all these locations and variety of tickets. I have come to the conclusion that I will need tickets for universal and WDW, however, they appear to have segregation within the parks, so I am getting even more confused.
    Should I just get tickets for WDW? Or will I be kicking myself for not visiting Universal?
    Universal is a must imo.

Not sure how long you are there for, but in the 10 days we were out there in December we went to Universal twice so that we could get round everything.

We also did Sea World twice. Once in the day and once in the evening. Its totally different after dark and the shows all change.

We also did Busch Gardens, Legoland, Disney Word and Disney Animal Kingdom on seperate visits. Wasn't overly bothered by Epcot and Hollywood Studios at Disneyworld and we did them in one day.

If they are still on at Universal when you go, Blue Man Group are well worth seeing.

The Outlet Malls are very good. The one at the top of International Drive by Universal is better. We were out there over Thanks giving so got the really cheap prices that they do for 48hrs. $20 Lacoste Polos, 2 for $60 Ralph Lauren Polos. The North Face shop is also bonkers cheap. We had to buy an extra suitcase to get everything home!

Whatever you do re: Park Tickets get them before you go. Works out much cheaper. We got these - they have gone up slightly for 2014.

http://www.orlandoattractiontickets.co.uk/Ticket/The-Orlando-PassPort
  • Options
    Do both, they are very different.
  • Options
    Prices for park tickets don't go down, get them early as they have a long validity. I'm pretty sure we used the same website that Clem says. If you going in peak times get fast passes, it'll really enhance your enjoyment.
  • Options
    Universal is quality. As is busch gardens. I liked aquatica too.

I left all my clothes there and came home with a completely new suitcase full of clothes after visiting the outlets.

Cant wait to get back out there.
  • Options
    Haha ok. I think Sea World and Bush garden might not make it to the final selections.

Anyone done the Space station?

Do you mean the Kennedy Space Center?

• Options
    If you've hired a car, you may want to try http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/ ... well worth the drive if you have ANY interest in space exploration.