Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Leaburn

124»

Comments

• Options
    "Battle of The Bridge" !
  • Options

nolly said:

we are all fonder of people once they became a memory

I haven't seen you since 1991, can't say it's increased my fondness for you.
    Ouch.
  • Options
    double ouch
  • Options
    nolly said:

double ouch

You know I love you really Dan!
  • Options
    On the other hand we only got promoted to the Premiership after he left the club.

• Options
    Back at ya Browny
  • Options
    nolly said:

Back at ya Browny

Do you remember the last time we saw each other?

This will test your memory......
  • Options
    Get a room
  • Options
    Maybe we did ...
  • Options
    its a nice story thankfully
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember him doing a fandango in the Southend penalty area and slotting the ball home at Roots Hall. Queue about 50 blokes, including me, scaling a 12ft perimeter fence to try and celebrate with him. He got a lot better as he got older, wiser and physically stronger. The last couple of seasons were his best. Barnstorming foward terrifying defenders and generally bashing them up. Loved watching him and the way he developed as a footballer, after all he was one of our own and one of Lewisham's finest.
  • Options
    I was one on the fence : )
  • Options
  • Options
    When I did a paper round in New Eltham in the late 80's he would often come into the newsagents and always had time to chat and offer tickets. For years later he'd recognise me and say hello as does paddy Powell to this day.
  • Options

Really!!!! A goal every 7 games for a forward is a joke. I saw him on a one on one with the keeper and turn his back and pass it to midfield. 1 hatrick for a striker that started 350 is pathetic. Leaburn a hero but on current ratio BWP will score 175 goals if he start the same number of games as Leaburn but yet BWP gets stick. Worst post I've ever read. Wimbledon supporters treat him as a joke and other football fans do to. I was a junior red at the christmas party back in the late 80's and a kid, during the Q and A's asked Leaburn can he sleep at night getting paid to be a non scoring forward. That was from an 8 year old!!!! Has there ever been a forward to start more than 20 games with a worse record than big Carl

Hmmm. You were a bloody rude 8 year old, weren't you?
  • Options
    At Upton Park the managers set up the team to play to his strengths with Walsh/Lee giving him excellent service. He was great with Mendonca for the short time in 97 and would have stayed in the team that season all the way to the play offs. The 3-0 Newcastle, 1-1 Chelsea, 1-0 Dons, 2-0 Millwall and many more. Sure there were some stinkers too but he never was one to hide.
  • Options
    Jason lee carlo and micky bennett nice pic that!
  • Options
    Jason Lee ? Never would have known. I recognised Carl & Mickey Bennett.
  • Options

At Upton Park the managers set up the team to play to his strengths with Walsh/Lee giving him excellent service. He was great with Mendonca for the short time in 97 and would have stayed in the team that season all the way to the play offs. The 3-0 Newcastle, 1-1 Chelsea, 1-0 Dons, 2-0 Millwall and many more. Sure there were some stinkers too but he never was one to hide.

hide? how could he, the guy was huge.

love leaburn. when i was a kid he became my first charlton legend. i'm very picky about who i class as legends, but i always admire a player who will give it there all for the cause. one reason why i dont understand man city and the teves situation. if a player goes to those lengths to get out of playing for your team, no matter how good they are i would never want them playing in the shirt for my team again. Principles....sometimes lost on fickle fans.
  • Options
    I remember being at a junior red party, must have been late eighties. Some little scally wag asked Leaburn during the Q&A session.
    "Carl, what's the secret to your success?" Am pretty sure Lennie Lawrence was the manager at the time, he had a right go at the kid about it, as it was clearly a very sarcastic question.

I would have been about ten at the time, but remember thinking it was very harsh!!! Loved Leaburn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    uie2 said:

Jason lee carlo and micky bennett nice pic that!

i didnt even notice or reconise the Jason Lee...what a great eye you got there mate!
  • Options

Never forget him chipping Peter Shilton at the Baseball Ground in the early 90's.

Also his back post header vs Bristol Rovers at Upton Park in 1992 from a Robert Lee cross, unstoppable.

Wanted to take on the whole Chelsea team at Stamford Bridge in 1988 after Wicks decked him off the ball, that coward Wicks hid in the dressing room afterwards and wouldn't

It was definitely in winter, I was bloody freezing, I think it might have been between Xmas and NY.

I think Carlo ran onto a Walshie through ball and chipped it over the great Shilts, I don't think he could believe it himself!
    was at both of these with Guinness. Remember going absolutely mental when Carl chipped Peter Shilton. G had gone to the loo (beer, cold weather, usual effect!!) and heard a roar. When he came back up the steps he assumed Derby had scored. A steward put him right & then told him that our big, black lad up front had run through & chipped Shilton. at which point G told the steward to f**k off & stop taking the piss!!

Carl was such a skilful player, especially on the floor, for a big man. Would love him to have scored more in his early years, but as he got older he showed what an intelligent and accomplished player he was. What he added to the team was never truly recognised at the time. Delighted with some of the very positive comments on here. He always came across as a very humble & just a very nice guy.
  • Options
    So is that you 3rd from the left Bradders or is it Linvoy Primus?
  • Options

Really!!!! A goal every 7 games for a forward is a joke. I saw him on a one on one with the keeper and turn his back and pass it to midfield. 1 hatrick for a striker that started 350 is pathetic. Leaburn a hero but on current ratio BWP will score 175 goals if he start the same number of games as Leaburn but yet BWP gets stick. Worst post I've ever read. Wimbledon supporters treat him as a joke and other football fans do to. I was a junior red at the christmas party back in the late 80's and a kid, during the Q and A's asked Leaburn can he sleep at night getting paid to be a non scoring forward. That was from an 8 year old!!!! Has there ever been a forward to start more than 20 games with a worse record than big Carl

Hmmm. You were a bloody rude 8 year old, weren't you?
    Cannot disagree about Leaburns ability...plus your front on the Q&A!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I loved Leaburn. Limited player, hardly a natural goalscorer but that wasn't his role. He was much better than most people gave him credit for - as many of the strikers who played with him (and no doubt the defenders who played against him) would testify.

It was that 91/92 season that showed just how good Leaburn could be. Curbs and Gritt had taken over, had no money and we were playing at Upton Park. Leaburn only scored at Parks back then, but if memory serves he scored in the opening game and went on to score something like 14 throughout the season. For the next few years, right up until he left midway through our promotion season, we looked a lot lot poorer when he wasn't in the side.

Whereas Lennie had used Leaburn in a kind of support striker role with his back to goal, Curbs and Gritt played to his attacking strengths. Lee and Walsh on the flanks putting balls onto his head - from behind the goal when Leaburn was attacking one of those crosses you knew when it was going to hit the back of the net before the ball even reached him.

It was Alan Hansen who made him a laughing stock, describing him as the worst Premiership player ever on (I think) his debut for the Wombles. Shameful stuff from someone who'd once been a great pundit (hard to believe nowadays). He played in the Premiership, signed by an established Premiership club. Worth remembering that fact when comparing him unfavourably to players whose only hope to play at the top level is to win promotion with their Championship club.
  • Options
    Oh and he was player of the year in 1994, quickly forgotten fact
  • Options
    rikofold said:

I loved Leaburn. Limited player, hardly a natural goalscorer but that wasn't his role. He was much better than most people gave him credit for - as many of the strikers who played with him (and no doubt the defenders who played against him) would testify.

It was that 91/92 season that showed just how good Leaburn could be. Curbs and Gritt had taken over, had no money and we were playing at Upton Park. Leaburn only scored at Parks back then, but if memory serves he scored in the opening game and went on to score something like 14 throughout the season. For the next few years, right up until he left midway through our promotion season, we looked a lot lot poorer when he wasn't in the side.

Whereas Lennie had used Leaburn in a kind of support striker role with his back to goal, Curbs and Gritt played to his attacking strengths. Lee and Walsh on the flanks putting balls onto his head - from behind the goal when Leaburn was attacking one of those crosses you knew when it was going to hit the back of the net before the ball even reached him.

It was Alan Hansen who made him a laughing stock, describing him as the worst Premiership player ever on (I think) his debut for the Wombles. Shameful stuff from someone who'd once been a great pundit (hard to believe nowadays). He played in the Premiership, signed by an established Premiership club. Worth remembering that fact when comparing him unfavourably to players whose only hope to play at the top level is to win promotion with their Championship club.

Saint and Greavsie, in their lunchtime show, had a go long before Hansen.
  • Options
    I always remember him being a frustrating player, that gave me no confidence that he would score when running into the box, as most of the time he didn't. he was however a player held in high regard for his effort and being a team player, he was as likely to pass in the box as he was to go for glory. Class on the pitch he may not have been, but class off the pitch is what makes a player a hero in many fans eyes. from what people say he is a decent down to earth bloke that gave his all doing his job, at a time when we couldn't say that for all of our squad. Cult status is afforded by those that see the overall picture of the player/person.