Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Leaburn

I personally would go as far to say that he is on the verge of Legendary status. Purely on the basis of his chest downs to Kim Grant/David Whyte/Clive Mendonca his ability to knock on a header, bag a goal here and there, of course his memorable Hat-rick against Ipswich in a great 5-1 away day result.
But also because i bumped into him a few years back and he was a really nice fella.
However....can anyone reconise him in the attached photo?

Comments

• Options
    Yes I can.
  • Options
    Still huge!

The definition of Charlton cult hero.
  • Options
    Yes - bloody hell he looks like he's been blown up like a balloon. He was a right wiry git when he first broke into the side.
  • Options
    second from the right?
  • Options
    Micky Bennett on the right too
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

second from the right?

hahaha! yeah good one!
  • Options
    Love Leaburn ..... Saw him as an extra on Luther .... I was strangely pleased...
  • Options
    My word he's been on the creatine
  • Options

Legend.
  • Options
    yes, third from left
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mascot88 said:

Love Leaburn ..... Saw him as an extra on Luther .... I was strangely pleased...

He was an extra on Eastenders as well - doorman at the nightclub in Albert Square!

• Options
    one of my favourite ever cafc players
  • Options
    Hmm, he's been stretched sideways, it must be a squeeze for him to fit in the seats when he comes back to The Valley!
  • Options
    Jesus H!

Frankenstein!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It's nice that he and Micky Bennett seem to be friends. They were both in the club shop back in 2008. Leaburn didn't look skinny then, but he looks bigger in the photo above.
  • Options
    Andy Ansah, Morts, Mickey B and Carlo are all great friends. Have been for donkeys years. Absolute carnage when you get the four of them together!
  • Options
    Saw him in nandos sutton collecting a takeout a few years back. Wasn't sure so didn't say hi. Gutted now!
  • Options
    BDL said:

Andy Ansah, Morts, Mickey B and Carlo are all great friends. Have been for donkeys years. Absolute carnage when you get the four of them together!

No Paul Williams ?
    What a talented forward line around '88/89 - skill and pace in abundance. Leaburn deffo a genuine CAFC hero.
  • Options
    Loved the fella ! Hero and Legend.
  • Options
    Great footballer but a pizz poor striker is how I can best describe Carlo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry guys, he might be a nice bloke but he was pretty ropey as a footballer. He wouldn't even get close to a first team place nowadays.
  • Options
    Carl Leaburn was, is and always will be a Charlton legend. End of.
  • Options
    Clive Mendonca described him as his best ever strike partner. That'll do for me.
  • Options
    Did Super Clive really say that or is it an urban myth? They only played together a handful of times and it don't say much for Super Clive's view of Andy hunt if its true!
  • Options
    He was definitely Paul Williams preferred strike partner.

LEGEND
  • Options
    Used to bump into him all the time in Sainsburys Lee, lovely friendly guy, and undoubtedly an utter Charlton legend.
  • Options

Did Super Clive really say that or is it an urban myth? They only played together a handful of times and it don't say much for Super Clive's view of Andy hunt if its true!

Leaburn was coming towards the end of his contract dispute with the club, and started '97/98 out in the cold and/or injured. At the end of Oct he came on against Ipswich and immediately made a real impact. He gradually got more and more playing minutes and his partnership with SCM developed accordingly culminating in the Cup game against Forest (played in a storm) in which they shredded the division leaders. The understanding between them was clear to see even after such limited time together. A few days later the big man was off to Wimbledon after a protracted dispute which did no-one any credit.
    After such a playing career with us it was tragic that he missed out by a few months on the POF on the biggest stage of all.
  • Options
    Yes BK, he has said it on more than one occassion.....I know I've been present when he's said it too but I'm struggling to remember where and when.....Bromley Addicks maybe?
  • Options
    I think he suffered from being overplayed as a teenager in our skint Selhurst years. As good in the air as Matt Tees - eh, Henry?