Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath v Leicester City - Championship - 21 August 2012 - Preview, Predictions & Line-ups

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
After a more than encouraging display and an encouraging result away at promotion favourites Birmingham, the Addicks face another Midlands side tipped to have a good season for their first game at the Valley.

Bradley Pritchard's rise from impoverished student playing non-league football to regular 2nd flight first teamer continues relentlessly. He has ousted both Danny Wagstaff and Scott Green and taken advantage of Haynes' injury to stake his claim for the right wing spot.

The fear was with Pritch on one wing and JJ on the other we would lack width and so fail to get crosses into the box. At Birmingham, at least, this theory was blown out of the water as cross after cross went in behind the oppo's full backs. The only flaw was that none were converted. At the same time Charlton dominated the midfield so expect the same starting XI as at St Andrews.

Hamer
Solly, Morrison, Cort, Wiggins
Pritchard, Hollands, Stephens, Jackson
Wright-Phillips, Kermorgant

With Wagstaff ill and Haynes and Dervite not yet fit the bench is likely to be the same barring late signings (wink, wink).

Last year Charlton's style was perfect for away games but often faltered against resolute bus parking in the Valley goalmouth. This term more visiting teams should be willing to go for all three points in SE7 so expect an open, attacking game from both sides on Tuesday.

Leicester lived up to their top 6 expectations with a 2 - 0 home win over Peterborough on Saturday. They carry an attacking threat with Jermaine Beckford and £1m non-league star James Vardy given the two striker spots ahead of former Addick Martyn Waghorn and former Addicks' target Schlupp. The Fossemen also have Charlton youth Academy product Paul Konchesky in their line up.

There are also a few Leicester connections in the Charlton side. Michael Morrison was a stalwart of their promotion a few years back and Chris Powell is loved by the Leicester fans just as he is at just about every club he has played for, and in this case coached. I also have a vague recollection that one of our strikers may have taken a free kick or penalty for the Foxes once but I'm sure that, like me, they have now forgotten all about it. Or perhaps not.

2 - 2 draw satisfies both managers but leads to a few glass half empty Charlton fan's asking where the first win in coming from.

Comments

• Options
    nice write up.

same starting 11. same result. 1-1.

would take a draw as Leicester will be up there this season.
  • Options
    3 - 1 win for me. Morrison and Kermo both scoring against their old club.
  • Options
    2-0 to the ADDICKS
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton. Our new striker to come off the bench & get a late winner!!
  • Options
    Have this horrible recurring nightmare where Yann is trying so hard to show Leicester up that instead of scoring or dominating the game he goes too far and gets sent off. Hopefully that stays in my dreams
  • Options
    2-1 to the lads and Yann to score the winner following a constant slagging off from the away fans
  • Options
    Yann to chip the ball from the half way line, straight over the keeper and into the net. 1-0.
  • Options
    Anyone know what time the deadline is to register new players for them to be eligible to play tomorrow??
  • Options
    I was gutted when Foxes got Vardy after rumours linking him with us. I see he got marked a 9 in several papers on Saturday's showing and I think he will be a sensation this season. We will need to score three to cancel out his brace.
  • Options
    San't see us winning, this is another big step up in quality, I'd be happy with a draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you lads quick in the back 4?
  • Options

Full back both quick ,especially Wiggins.

Cort has decent speed, Morrison you know about

• Options
    wiggins is rapid, solly not as quick but his positioning makes up for it, cort is quick for his size as is morro
  • Options

Our left back is very quick.
    Our right back isn't quick but is a very, very good defender.
    Centre backs aren't pacey, but can keep up.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Wiggins is fairly quick, Solly average to quick, Morrison average and Cort average to slow.

In my opinion.
  • Options
    Think a good game and us to nick it, yann in the last miniute nothing against leicester I just love to be on the other end of it.
  • Options
    Hoping for an entertaining game, and something tells me this could very much be the Yann show; arguments, dives, cards, and hopefully a goal
  • Options
    I believe we can win this one, should be a good game for the fans as both teams will be hunting 3 points, think it could end up 3-1. Important to get the first goal so lets hope the strike force have a better day
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Tough game. We must attack (with some caution) from the start and not allow them time to settle. Show some confidence. Saturday showed that we are as good as most in this division. Leicester will miss Richie Wellens away from home especially ::
    CAFC 2 v Leicester City 0
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Can't see us losing but it's equally difficult to see us winning. I hope Yann gets a goal though, in front of the covered end. It's not about revenge, I just think he needs that monkey off of his back.

1-1 or 2-2.

Thoughts of Leicester fans are here:
    http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/83180-charlton-athletic-a-pre-match-starting-xi/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 Draw. Leicester score in 8th min, only to be cancelled out by BWP, on the 50th min set up by Yann.
  • Options
    I expect us to dominate this game in front of a great home crowd cheering their heroes on.

3-0 to the Reds.
  • Options
    I can see a win for us. They seem to think their pace will do us in when they counter attack.
    To that I say 2 things, Solly and Wiggy. See where pace will get you then :D
  • Options
    1-0 Charlton be a tight game Kermorgant to get the winner
  • Options
    2-1 BWP and JJ (pen)
  • Options
    Im not convinced we'll just counter attack. We have far more about us than that but guess time will tell.
    Could go either way
  • Options
    a point is the best i can see us escaping with and i for one would be more than happy with 2 points from these tricky opening two fixtures
    i fancy leicester to win the league , although i backed em to do well last year
  • Options
    3-0 Yann Hat-trick.
  • Options
    I've got so used to seeing us win home matches from last season I can't at this stage see anything other than a 2-1 win for us. But if we're being realistic, a draw, maybe 1-1 or 2-2, which I would definitely be satisfied with.
  • Options
    Avoiding defeat would be good against a side likely to be in the play-off / promotion mix.