Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Seriously.....WTF does someone get out of doing this......?

Comments

• Someone I know was seeing a bird. He dumped her & she was upset as she wasn't expecting it.
    She keyed c**t in foot high letters on the bonnet of his BMW :-)
  • edited August 2012
    I know from previous reactions to my posts that I am an anachronism in 21st century Britain.

However I come from a working class background yet was taught as a boy that I should respect other peoples property and not touch it without their permission because it was not mine let alone damage it!

I can still remember being chastised until I learned the lesson properly.

I brought my own children up similarly, although their peers used to tell them that they had strict over protective parents, hence my remark that I am an anachronism.

It seems to be the thing these days to treat your neighbours' property as your own and damage it "cos the insurance will cover it innit"

God help us all!
  • Yes I bet nobody did anything bad when you was a kid Len.
  • edited August 2012

Yes I bet nobody did anything bad when you was a kid Len.

People did Stu but it was the exception rather than the rule.

It appears to be the other way round these days and parents like me who try to teach right and wrong are regarded as "odd" or "out of touch"

• What is ADHD please.

An excuse for piss poor parenting!
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

You live with it then poor fucking parenting who the fuck are you to call me that

My son has it there are many facets of it some are extremely difficult to live with and manage and I would bet my house and my life the majority of the patents are ans always will be a better parent than you will ever be

Apologies SoundAs, wasn't trying to be controversial and I'm glad you sussed what I was implying. Some parents do pin a medical condition on their children because they can't accept that they lack the skills or even will to raise their offspring.
    Plus, slightly sceptical because the only winners with ADHD are the pharmaceutical companies who make billions pumping children full of mind altering drugs.

Most parents don't follow that rte and what you said was ignorant
    Eh? So whats all the above got to do with parents who role ADHD out as an excuse when they can't control their kids

What is ADHD please.

An excuse for piss poor parenting!
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

You live with it then poor fucking parenting who the fuck are you to call me that

My son has it there are many facets of it some are extremely difficult to live with and manage and I would bet my house and my life the majority of the patents are ans always will be a better parent than you will ever be

Apologies SoundAs, wasn't trying to be controversial and I'm glad you sussed what I was implying. Some parents do pin a medical condition on their children because they can't accept that they lack the skills or even will to raise their offspring.
    Plus, slightly sceptical because the only winners with ADHD are the pharmaceutical companies who make billions pumping children full of mind altering drugs.

Most parents don't follow that rte and what you said was ignorant
    Maybe I should elaborate on what I meant as that has obviously come across the wrong way, it was more directed to people who's kids don't actually have ADHD but still use it as an excuse for poor behavior of which I do know quite a few.

• You and one other made the pint that ADHD is used as an excuse by bad parents

Some may truely have children that have ADHD and live with the problem day In day out and do not resort to using drugs to solve the issue

Most with ADHD Children don't even state that the reason their child may be acting in what is. It presumed as the norm is because of the condition as we don't look to justify the behaviour but find a solution to manage the issue

Sweeping generalisations on such conditions makes it harder to get these children accepted and intragated into society

Th way your post and 1 other came across were to insinuate that the problem didn't exist and it was an excuse for people to hide from their responsibilities as parents

Even the people that may need more parental support due to background and situation they find themselves In may genuinely have a child with a behavioural condition
  • I do think SOME people use it as an excuse for bad behaviour when their child does not actually have ADHD. And it isn't a coincidence that these parents have bad parenting skills. As others have said, this does NOT mean other children do not have ADHD. They are completely different scenarios. I don't think the diets of the children whose parents claim they have ADHD are a coincidence. Saw a Jamie Oliver programme where a mum said she couldn't believe the difference in her children's behaviour when they had a better diet and then when they had junk food once, it was like turning a switch
  • Yes I bet nobody did anything bad when you was a kid Len.

In my early life we had the Krays and the Richardsons along with Ian Brady and Mira Hindley to name just a few to look up to for moral leadership! Opps! going off thread again.
  • edited August 2012

In my early life we had the Krays and the Richardsons along with Ian Brady and Mira Hindley to name just a few to look up to for moral leadership! Opps! going off thread again.
    And the reason you recall them is that they were THE EXCEPTION and thus attracted media coverage.

My grandmother was attacked, robbed and left for dead on a train in the fifties.

It was front page news in the national papers and the trial was held at the Old Bailey with probably the most eminent judge of the day presiding.

These days such an attack, if it made the paper at all, would be a line or two on page 17 of the South London Press.

That's my point.

We don't have a sense of morality or right and wrong anymore in 21st Century Britain, just a few totalitarian, politically correct sacred cows which masquerade as such.
  • You and one other made the pint that ADHD is used as an excuse by bad parents

Some may truely have children that have ADHD and live with the problem day In day out and do not resort to using drugs to solve the issue

Most with ADHD Children don't even state that the reason their child may be acting in what is. It presumed as the norm is because of the condition as we don't look to justify the behaviour but find a solution to manage the issue

Sweeping generalisations on such conditions makes it harder to get these children accepted and intragated into society

Th way your post and 1 other came across were to insinuate that the problem didn't exist and it was an excuse for people to hide from their responsibilities as parents

Even the people that may need more parental support due to background and situation they find themselves In may genuinely have a child with a behavioural condition

First off NLA I would like to offer my sincerest apologies to you (and Bing) if you think my post was flippant and ignorant as my intention was not to offend. I personally think you're one of the best posters on here and respect you as a man for the way you have dealt with the health problems of your daughter so nothing personal to anyone. Whilst I do accept that ADHD as a condition exists and I feel for the families of those truly effected I stand by my belief that SOME (not most) parents try and use it as an excuse for their failings and for financial gain. My wife works in child services and she has evidence of it. I personally know of a family who were pissed off because a re-diagnosis of their son showed he didn't have the condition and they lost extra carers allowance.
    One thing I was slightly upset about was a remark that you made (whether to me or Benny Hill) that parents of children with ADHD will be better parents than I'll ever be. I'm certainly not going into details of what my missus and I have had to deal with on this forum but believe me, we have had more than our fair share of strife with our daughter and things that have happened to her in her life. For us to come through it as a family is possibly my greatest achievement in life. I'm going to be so fucking proud when she goes off to university in a few weeks because at times I feared she wouldn't be around to do it.
    Hope you can accept my olive branch mate, I'm saying no more on the subject.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mate your first post sent the gauge through the roof In my swede but you then followed it up with an explanation that was in part true. The comment was made to BH for not taking on board what you had re posted but gone with the first generalisation that was made and it just highlighted the same situation that I have came across since my son was first observed and then years later diagnosed with.

I accept your apology although there was none needed to be honest as I had understood your point of view and was proberly too touchy on the matter,

All the best Darren
  • Thanks for your good grace mate, hope to buy you a pint one day and concentrate on the one thing we both love - CAFC!

Regards, Mike.
  • LenGlover said:

It appears to be the other way round these days and parents like me who try to teach right and wrong are regarded as "odd" or "out of touch"
    As you well know the "in my day" stuff is complete bollocks. There was crime then, there's crime now. There were wankers, wife beaters and vandals then...there are wankers, wife beaters and vandals now. Dream on in your little nostaligic world if you choose.
  • LenGlover said:

As you well know the "in my day" stuff is complete bollocks. There was crime then, there's crime now. There were wankers, wife beaters and vandals then...there are wankers, wife beaters and vandals now. Dream on in your little nostaligic world if you choose.
    Serious question:

Do you actually bother to read what others write?

I have given examples of crime "in my day" the harrowing attack on my grandmother being a tragic case in point. My thesis, if you actually bother to read properly, is that there is considerably MORE crime now than then not that crime is a new phenomenon!
  • With 24 hour News Tv coverage we certainly hear more about crime , bad things have been going on since time began as said above.
  • nonsense Len my family on my mums side where all straight goers but still love to tell of the days in the 30s and 40s when they had a good thieve up off the ships coming in round the docks from all over the world,crime was everywhere in those days just no reporting of it
  • With 24 hour News Tv coverage we certainly hear more about crime , bad things have been going on since time began as said above.

Bad things have happened since time began but they happen more now than before.

50-60 years ago an assault, robbery and leaving for dead of a woman made the front pages.

It wouldn't come anywhere near now for all the 24 hr coverage and that is the point if the likes of BFR try to read properly!

• nolly said:

nonsense Len my family on my mums side where all straight goers but still love to tell of the days in the 30s and 40s when they had a good thieve up off the ships coming in round the docks from all over the world,crime was everywhere in those days just no reporting of it

Surrey Docks?
  • Again, I don't think Len is denying the fact there wasn't crime "back in the day" and yes it may be reported more now...However, it only takes a 30 second search on Google to show that it's rocketed since the 60s.
  • Len i genuinely don't mean this to come across as offensive , but do you not agree that as you (Meaning you me and everyone else) gets older , think society gets worse and worse.

My parents were raised in the 2nd World War and were always telling me how much better society was, how you could leave your front door open etc , and i said to them what about all the bombs dropping , the food rationing , losing family members etc.

I agree with your comments that there is a huge decline in standards , how people treat each other , offend each other and basically are generally gits and not very nice people.

But the flipside is a higher (overall age & standard of living) , maybe as people have got richer the downside is all the other rubbish comes with it , the people who haven't got stuff get upset and the crime starts, newspapers especially the Daily Mail are way too depressive , and should come with a health warning on the front , like fags, they don't call it the Daily Worry for nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Len i genuinely don't mean this to come across as offensive , but do you not agree that as you (Meaning you me and everyone else) gets older , think society gets worse and worse.

My parents were raised in the 2nd World War and were always telling me how much better society was, how you could leave your front door open etc , and i said to them what about all the bombs dropping , the food rationing , losing family members etc.

I agree with your comments that there is a huge decline in standards , how people treat each other , offend each other and basically are generally gits and not very nice people.

But the flipside is a higher (overall age & standard of living) , maybe as people have got richer the downside is all the other rubbish comes with it , the people who haven't got stuff get upset and the crime starts, newspapers especially the Daily Mail are way too depressive , and should come with a health warning on the front , like fags, they don't call it the Daily Worry for nothing.

It comes down to opinions borne of experience.

Age breeds experience so in that respect you are right.

The FACT though is that the attack on my grandmother in the fifties was an incident rare enough to make the front page of the national papers. Can you HONESTLY say that would be the case today?

If not then I rest my case.

• My Dad when he was alive (Godbless him) was mugged whilst on crutches at a cashpoint machine @ Tesco's by 2 Eastern European lads , (Not that i'm blaming all the ills of society on people coming into the country) it didn't make the local rag , not that he wanted to be in there , so yes your probably right stuff goes on that doesn't make it into the news headlines , and i can understand your point , guns and drugs are more prevalent in this country now than 50 - 60 years ago.
  • edited August 2012
    they were from there Len,trident street
  • nolly said:

they were from there Len,trident street

Knew it was in the blood.
  • Yeah, those E numbers are real evil sods. I particularly try to avoid E948 - oxygen - and have banned tangerines from the house since I found out they have E330 in them. (That's citric acid in case you didn't guess.) Seriously though, I thought I read somewhere recently that major surveys had completely discounted sugary drinks being connected in any way with hyperactivity and that it was just parents and teachers' expectations that they would cause a problem that meant the adults perceived that they did.
  • Diet is a huge part of resolving the potential issues that arise

The difference in my son based on what he eats is so evident
  • cafcfan said:

Yeah, those E numbers are real evil sods. I particularly try to avoid E948 - oxygen - and have banned tangerines from the house since I found out they have E330 in them. (That's citric acid in case you didn't guess.) Seriously though, I thought I read somewhere recently that major surveys had completely discounted sugary drinks being connected in any way with hyperactivity and that it was just parents and teachers' expectations that they would cause a problem that meant the adults perceived that they did.

On Qi they said the fizzy drinks thing is a myth.
  • I agree and disagree with Len. Certainly there has always been violence and vandalism the blue sky notion that things were better years ago is in my opinion just that. I grew up on a council estate and it's true burglaries hardly existed but it was probably because nobody had much worth stealing, however domestic violence was common. I was bought up like Len to respect the law and my neighbours but I am afraid that todays society doesn't have those values most kids couldn't give a rats arse about the police whereas I was afraid of them. Fact is Victorian London was every bit as violent as now it was just not reported.
  • If you reported, you'd probably get a smack to the back of the head from one of those peelers for being a tell-tale in them old days!
  • redcarter said:

cafcfan said:

Yeah, those E numbers are real evil sods. I particularly try to avoid E948 - oxygen - and have banned tangerines from the house since I found out they have E330 in them. (That's citric acid in case you didn't guess.) Seriously though, I thought I read somewhere recently that major surveys had completely discounted sugary drinks being connected in any way with hyperactivity and that it was just parents and teachers' expectations that they would cause a problem that meant the adults perceived that they did.

On Qi they said the fizzy drinks thing is a myth.
    20 odd years of experience tell me different. But I bow to 'major' surveys and Fry. FFS, I've seen it for years, the additives and preservatives have such bad effects, you might as well give the kid a line of bizzo.
    Also had parents say that after the kids take up the training and adjust their diet, the hyperactivity slows, their concentration improves and then in turn their school work improves and grades have shot up.