Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Green or Wagstaff?

124»

Comments

• Options
    i would say he's gone back to his home town but we all know he's a t wells not a tonbridge lad ;)
  • Options
    Weird how both Green and Wagstaff both dropped into non league at quite a young age. 
  • Options
    Saw Green score the winner against Welling away to Concord a few years back. Spoke to him in the bar afterwards, nice bloke.
  • Options
    Still think he could do a job for us.
  • Options
    Both are playing in the Legends game.
  • Options
    Danny Green is a great friend of my daughters fiancé, i was supposed to meet him on Sunday but couldn't get to Crowborough where they were playing in a charity celebrity match.

Hoping to catch up with him soon.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Both are playing in the Legends game.
    "Legends?" LOL.
    Perhaps we should rename it The Jolly Nice Charlton Chaps game
  • Options
    Weird how both Green and Wagstaff both dropped into non league at quite a young age. 
    Weird or Telling?
  • Options
    I don't think its weird
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danny Green has his own clothing line doesnt he.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Weird or Telling?
    Neither, Tonbridge
  • Options
    In reply to the original post……...neither
  • Options
    I don't think its weird
    Wagstaff was a L1 regular until 2020 (when he was only 30). Since then, each season he's dropped a division, so that he's now dropped 3 divisions in 3 seasons. That is unusual.
  • Options
    Nicky Bailey's career nosedived as well...
  • Options
    I don't think its weird
    Wagstaff was a L1 regular until 2020 (when he was only 30). Since then, each season he's dropped a division, so that he's now dropped 3 divisions in 3 seasons. That is unusual.
    I think that the ego of a lot of footballers actually stop them from doing that - there are only so many places in the football league after all and playing in the Championship is a long way divorced from non league. Recently, we had the example of Dale Stephens who thought that, on leaving Burnley, he would get a Championship club. Rather than find his actual level he chose to hang his boots up. Of course, Stephens is probably in a stronger financial position to make that call than Wagstaff.

Equally, any number of apprentices/academy players never play football of any description once they are released from a pro club. Either because they've fallen out of love with the game having battled for over a decade to "make it" or because they can't accept that their dream is over. I've seen it in cricket. A lad who was dropped from the first team at his club, just a year after being in the England U19 squad, stopped playing at the end of that season and has never played cricket since. And that really is so sad. 
  • Options
    My regular question to Charlton players were: "who else in your age group year made it as Professional footballers."

Lyle Taylor couldn't think of anyone when he was 16 and at Millwall. *Wiggins struggled to recall any Palace boys of the same age. Igor Vetokele in  Europe and JFC couldn't at Brighton but did say he played with Harry Kane for a young England team.

Charlton have a higher rate than most clubs for their 16 to 18 year old 'making it'. 

The drop out rate was and is so high. Last  season 21/22 I watched plenty of Ex academy players plus Pros in the Kent League and Isthmian SE leagues and saw some Forwards earning £400-600 for playing at that low level. Whereas Young 17-18 year old released from pro clubs just about earning their petrol money but hoping for a second chance higher up as scouts do attend these matches.

*Rhoys Wiggins told me at the Valley six months after he retired at 30 that the injury he had with Palace when on a youth tour in the USA made him believe he would never play at the highest level !
    It always makes me think that we never know what underlying injuries players have?
    Premier club medicals are more stringent and to pass one at Man city you have to be a super athlete as well as super skilful.

Chris Solly is another example of a player who had a fine career at Cafc including the Championship but his knee issues stopped him getting the Premier move. 
  • Options
    Very pleased to see that Scott won player of the year at The Angels. I live in Tonbridge, so the Angels are my local club. I have seen a few games this season and Scott seemed to do a good job in central midfield. Things seem to be on the up at Tonbridge and having a 4G AstroTurf pitch is a big improvement and allows for better football. They only just missed out on the playoffs, so a good season. I hope Waggy stays with them for another year.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Time for a Bacon v Garland thread.