Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joining a Gym

Comments

• Everyone has to start at the beginning and you have made the effort to go to the gym which is brilliant. I was like you once and now, although no Schwarzenegger, am confident in what I do and I have seen and felt the change in my body shape. It doesn't happen after the first month but it will come if you persevere. And don't worry about what others think of you. They will be too focused on their own workout and secondly, as I said at the beginning they too had to start out as a novice and generally they will encourage rather than snigger.

Good luck!
  • If you grow out of the £20 weights, surely you just buy more? I've got a barbell and two dumbbell bars - they cost me £30 the pair, and each came with plates that you can change/add to. I've got a selection of plates, totalling 100kg, that I've bought a couple at a time from Tesco. Altogether it's cost me less than 70 quid. Admittedly if I bought a proper bench instead of using an old ottoman that would set me back a bit more, but within three months I'd have paid more than that joining a gym.

I certainly get where you're coming from re: toning up after weight loss. I always considered myself pretty lean apart from the beer gut and man-tits, but most of the weight I lost came from other areas (neck, arms, legs etc) and I've still got the age old problem of a protruding belly to work on. Still the best thing for you by far is running, so even if you want to bulk up, still do a load of running whilst you're on whatever programme it is you're doing.

Echo what the above poster said about what you do during your days off. The temptation will be to load up on protein with a supplement - don't do this. Unless you plan on lifting every day. Eat a lot - A LOT of green salad, with no dressing. You'll be amazed at how much this fills you up, and how little calories there are in a f***ing huge great bowl of it.

I understand what your saying but the only way forward for me i feel is the gym and there apporators.

And i appreciate everyone's comments .
  • I think that most people in the gym are concerned with their own workout. My gym contains all manner of life, from ultra fit girls that go every day, muscle laden blokes through to folk that are incredibly unfit. I've never consciously noticed anyone sneering at anyone else. Ogling, yes.

If you can get a PT for a month, they can help you out with a programme.

If not then classes are good, although I can't abide them personally it is a good workout and will give you ideas for what you might do yourself. Best of luck.
  • I understand where you're coming from with the thought that people are staring or being judgmental. I thought the same when I first started going properly about five years ago.

Since then I've become a regular at the gym and at no point have I actually found myself staring or judging others in there, however thinking about it now I can understand why someone would maybe mistake me for doing it.

Especially in the weights room where most of the time people are spent looking into mirrors (including when working out) or resting and standing around, it can be quite a claustrophobic experience if you're not used to it.

Here's what I have found to be really helpful. Try joining one or two weekly workout classes (Circuit training, box fit etc). Not only are they fantastic workouts as you're being pushed by an instructor but it gives you good experience in working out with others and the chance to make some mates in the gym too. I've been doing box fit for two years now and its done wonders for my fitness and confidence in the gym.
  • I'm sure other ex forces will agree with me when I say joining a gym is the biggest waste of money in the world.

The fittest I have ever been was after my basic training - and everything we did did not involve a gym at all.

You don't even need to buy weights. I did free weights before signing up, but never after....

Jogging and circuit training will get you fit and toned. You'll be amazed what just doing dips, squats, variations on press ups, sit ups and stretches can do.

The only money you should spend is on decent running shoes - for mud. Never run on roads. Or if you wanna push yourself more a pull up bar (excellent) and a punch bag.

People that give gyms money need their heads testing.
  • Hardly.

• Just joined a gym, ive had a treadmill in my house for the last 4 months, but i am now ready for some weights.

It was my first day at the gym today and my self confidence is low anyway, but i just have the feeling that people are staring at me, and sniggering.

Can people who are at the gym let me know what to do and what there first few trips were like ?

I'm not a big gym fan - I went to one for a couple of years noticed the improvement but then things started to tail off.

Regarding people looking/sniggering at you - don't worry. Have a look at those around you - there'll be young, old, fat, athletic you name it. Slip in do yiur stuff and bugger off.

Take it easy for the first few times and try and get into a routine once/twice a week but mostly change your lifestyle. Eat better and do a bit of DIY gym stuff - just go jogging now and then.

If you are a bit worried/unsure about the equipment and want a training programme ask an instructor to help.
  • JT said:

Hardly.

The only person that needs to join a gym is a very high level amateur sportsman or a professional.

I have no idea what Joe bloggs hopes to achieve from it - that couldn't off of their own back.

Like I said, fittest I ever was was in basic training for the army. Never went near a gym.
  • Bunny said:

JT said:

Hardly.

The only person that needs to join a gym is a very high level amateur sportsman or a professional.

I have no idea what Joe bloggs hopes to achieve from it - that couldn't off of their own back.

Like I said, fittest I ever was was in basic training for the army. Never went near a gym.
    Good for you !
    But people are different .
    What you like, doesn't mean that joe bloggs will like it.
  • The gym for some people creates a different mindset. It is an environment where you work off the people around you who are in 'exercise-mode'. I certainly do more in the gym than I would at home, simply because it generates a different environment.

Similar really to me getting more done when I work in the office compared to when I work at home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually, you've argued me around.

I guess there is a very different mindset from people that join the military to your average office worker.

I just couldn't imagine handing over all that money to run on a treadmill or do assisted weights - when I could run along the beach or through the woods, followed by push ups etc.
  • cafctom said:

The gym for some people creates a different mindset. It is an environment where you work off the people around you who are in 'exercise-mode'. I certainly do more in the gym than I would at home, simply because it generates a different environment.

Similar really to me getting more done when I work in the office compared to when I work at home.

Well said.
  • Bunny said:

JT said:

Hardly.

Very good point Bunny, but I enjoy going to the gym, mainly to look at the chuff, but I also enjoy the facilities too.

• Bunny said:

JT said:

Hardly.

Very good point Bunny, but I enjoy going to the gym, mainly to look at the chuff, but I also enjoy the facilities too.

Ha - another view to win me around!

• Everybody is different.

If you lack self confidence for whatever reason then going to the gym is an ordeal.

On the other hand some people lack the motivation to do things on their own so need the incentive of others exercising.

Neither way is better nor worse just different.
  • Agree with the punchbag suggestions.
  • cafctom said:

The gym for some people creates a different mindset. It is an environment where you work off the people around you who are in 'exercise-mode'. I certainly do more in the gym than I would at home, simply because it generates a different environment.

I find that if I really decide to work I get more done at home because I'm away from the "can you just help me with this" or phone calls you get in the office.

That said I reiterate that I do have to really decide to work as there are plenty of distractions at home if i am not properly motivated for some reason or other.
  • Switch off to all else, this is your workout, you are there to achieve your goals. If you need help with equipment don't be afraid to ask other gym goers, they can be very helpful.

To anyone who has the time to stare or laugh.... they aren't working hard enough.

Remember though:

YOU ARE THERE TO IMPROVE YOURSELF, YOU KNOW IT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO DO OR NEED TO DO AND NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.
  • I don't get why people use treadmills when there's loads of land outside to run on. Likewise exercise bikes.
  • I don't get why people use treadmills when there's loads of land outside to run on. Likewise exercise bikes.

Many many reasons, lower chance of injury, less likely to get injured, building a base level of fitness.

• Sponsored links:

Weather conditions, the chance to watch the Football whilst working out.
  • cafctom said:

I don't get why people use treadmills when there's loads of land outside to run on. Likewise exercise bikes.

Ha, it's obvious after you hear the answer...

• Hats off to Bunny for looking at the opposite side of the gym argument.

It's easy for the self-motivated like himself and Leroy to go running etc., but some aren't like that, and when you go to the gym you are to some degree at least surrounded by like minded people. The right kind of gym can also provide a very sociable experience.

Also to echo what others have said - gym folk are unlikely to be looking and judging. The unfit ones will be in the same boat, whilst the super-fit ones will either remember that they were there once too, or be too self absorbed to notice anyone else anyway.

• It's all about fitting it in with your life too. If i was doing nothing all day i would probably do something similar what Bunny suggested but having a gym 2 mins from work, it fits in nicely with my day.
  • Bunny said:

I'm sure other ex forces will agree with me when I say joining a gym is the biggest waste of money in the world.

The fittest I have ever been was after my basic training - and everything we did did not involve a gym at all.

You don't even need to buy weights. I did free weights before signing up, but never after....

Jogging and circuit training will get you fit and toned. You'll be amazed what just doing dips, squats, variations on press ups, sit ups and stretches can do.

The only money you should spend is on decent running shoes - for mud. Never run on roads. Or if you wanna push yourself more a pull up bar (excellent) and a punch bag.

People that give gyms money need their heads testing.

If you've got the dedication & motivation to continue your army training outside of your normal working hours then yes I agree.

But for those of us who can't quit our jobs to join the army for training and spend 8+hrs a day at work, a gym can be an exciting experience to the start/end of the day as well as being something that can motivate you.

Running around a field & doing dips from your kitchen worktops ain't quite the same as swimming lengths at Virgin or staring at some womans arse on the runner.

Although I just go to a boxing gym and without the chance to punch bags & spar, I wouldn't go to the gym cos I find it incredibly boring. Everyone is different.

• always think a treadmill increases chance of injury. they absolutely kill my back when i run on them.
  • cafctom said:

I don't get why people use treadmills when there's loads of land outside to run on. Likewise exercise bikes.

Yeah but having bad/good weather conditions is good for the training teaches you discipline and being able to handle any situation. Doing it in the gym is a bit boring don't get to see any of the outside world.
  • Like I said, you have won me around - I can see why a gym is good for some people.

However, I would still suggest there is a much better and cheaper way - for those with the right mindset.

I have a new baby and it's hard to find time with that and work. But my routine is - 20 minute interval training at the local park, followed by 3 sets of 30 push ups, squats, dips and sit ups.

Takes about half an hour.

If I get more time at the weekend I might do half an hour to forty minutes on the punch bag.

Nothing spectacular - but it keeps me fit enough for an ordinary person. When I was younger I wanted to be really muscular etc...and that was my downfall, and is a lot of people's - if youre not built that way you'll find it very hard to get a rugby player type body.

I'm happy with being relatively fit and with good muscle tone and strength for my type - more your swimmer/rower type.

And can easily be achieved without ever spending a pound in a gym.

But, like I said, you lot have made me think that it is better for some.
  • Seems to me that Ad has already joined a gym. Suggesting alternatives isn't wrong, but I'm sure he doesn't want to throw his money away. A gym is good environment to get fit. Others there are in the same boat as you. Can be a good environment for getting to know people too.

Keep at it Ad. Remember the book I recommended " The complete guide to strength training" by Anita Bean. The more you understand the human body and training methods/concepts, the more likely you are to achieve positive results. As others say supplementing your gym regime with some circuits, outdoor work, body weight exercises have their advantages too.
  • Bunny said:

I have a new baby and it's hard to find time with that and work. But my routine is - 20 minute interval training at the local park, followed by 3 sets of 30 push ups, squats, dips and sit ups.

Have you tried incorporating your kids into your workout? I do squats whilst holding the baby which not only adds an additional 15lbs or so to the exercise, but it also helps rock her to sleep.

Similarly I get my 3 and 5-year old boys to climb on my back for press-ups which not only adds considerable weight, but also an unstable one (good for the 'core' muscles). I can manage 15 with my 3-year old onboard and 10 with my 5-year old - the burn is unbelievable. They are a good addition for the classic 'plank' exercise too.

I also find the boys are quite good for bicep curls and chest presses, again because of the combination of weight and instability - machine weights can be quite flattering because they're fixed.