Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

kish

2»

Comments

• Kish is definitely a legend. His heart was in the right place and he put in some great performances, particularly as part of that 4-5-1.
  • Perhaps not a legend but part of our best and most successful team in a long time. He did a job for the team. It wasn't glamorous or that exciting but so important and to do it as well as he did required quality, stamina, fitness and an understanding of how the game works. Curbishley may have got some things wrong but not 179 times.
  • Kish and Chips... you can't beat it.
  • My Dad's favourite all-time player...
  • I read lots on here about passion and playing for the shirt.

Kish did that in spades and is a legend for that alone.

179 league games, all at the top level, for Charlton.

Not many have exceeded that, certainly in the modern era.
  • Legend in my eyes. Had all the passion in the world.
  • He was more than alright in my eyes. We've had far, far worse and loved the graft he put in.
  • About 6 years ago when I was going to start an old skool fanzine, I had a comic strip sketched out for a demented chef called Radostin Kitchen Chef, who operated at 100mph, tried very hard, but ended up Frank Spencer style causing havoc in the kitchen.

Perhaps reading that back it was a good idea that fanzine never saw the light of day !
  • Not only was Kish picked by Curbs 179 times, as Len points out, but he was also picked 88 times over a 13 year period by his country.
    And some of you may not rate him, but I can tell you that he intends to tell his grandchildren, when they ask him, that the club of his career and of his heart was Charlton Athletic. How many other players of the last 20 years will say that?
  • I cant believe some of the above comments. Kish was a very good player, you dont play 179 for club at the highest level and a further 88 for your country being mediocre. It maybe a game of opinions but some opinions are best ignored.
  • Sponsored links:

• 179 games in the Prem and he's not Prem class? Mmmmmm........defies logic.
  • Man of the match against Manu U in 3-3 thriller, his last touch was complete nutmegging of Ryan Giggs. Always an A for effort!
  • marcus bent , amdy faye and djimi traore all played over 100 times in the premier league for various clubs
  • marcus bent , amdy faye and djimi traore all played over 100 times in the premier league for various clubs

And all of them were lazy and lacked a real passion. Which is why they never went on the play at International level for as long as Kish.
    LenGlover said:

I read lots on here about passion and playing for the shirt.

Kish did that in spades and is a legend for that alone.

179 league games, all at the top level, for Charlton.

Not many have exceeded that, certainly in the modern era.

Exactly. So many times I've seen on here things like "I can accept lack of ability but not lack of effort". Turns out to be total rubbish to some when it actually comes down to it!
  • edited August 2012

marcus bent , amdy faye and djimi traore all played over 100 times in the premier league for various clubs

Wow! You're comparing those feckwits to Kishishev? By the time they got to 100+ games each, they were all pretty much finished. They all had good spells in their times(for other clubs), but they would never have made close to 100+ appearances for us. (there must have been reasons why M Bent moved on so much, never making a century of appearances for any 1 club)

• Its what he done when we didn't have the ball that was impressive. His posisitiong to cut off a pass was like a one man human sheild.
  • A proper charlton player. ran his nuts off all game every game and im sure any of the midfield or defence he played alongside would of loved him starting due to the graft he did which would allow people like murphy smertin etc the space to be more glamourus players. every team needs a kish
  • murphy, smertin and kish was the best midifeld I've seen in charlton colours. Better than parker/jensen for my money. Of the three, Kish is the only one I'd clap. did his job, gave it everything, and was a very decent player, even if he was often wasteful in possession.
  • LenGlover said:

I loved the bloke and if you take wages and transfer fees into account he was probably our best value top tier player in the modern era.

As for those saying he had no quality are they the same people that eulogised Semedo and Racon?

Remind me what a 36 year old Kish did to those two playing for Brighton at The Valley!

Abolutely bang on Len. The work rate and determination of Kish gave others the time and space to create, although he could pick a pass out or two!
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

murphy, smertin and kish was the best midifeld I've seen in charlton colours. Better than parker/jensen for my money. Of the three, Kish is the only one I'd clap. did his job, gave it everything, and was a very decent player, even if he was often wasteful in possession.

If you thought they were the best midfield 3 why would you only clap Kish?

• The way smertin left pissed me off, and even when murphy was at charlton i got the impression he thought he was a cut above. Maybe they were too good or us... Still don't like them. Kish cared about the club
  • Parker and Jensen was better.
  • I liked Kish though.
  • I used to like Carl Leaburn.

Sorry, wrong thread. Thought I was in a time warp.
  • Kish suffered playing alongside cleanshorts who only ever offered himself for a pass to a centrehalf and duly gave it straight back. With good players his international pedigree showed.
  • What I loved about Kish was that he loved our club. He loved the fans and he thought we loved him back - obviously he got that wrong. :-) But he was committed to the cause and was proud to wear the shirt unlike some of the wasters mentioned above.