Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

kish

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
bit of a ledge werent he

Comments

• Options
    Yep like kish always tryed this best for the team
  • Options
    Totally. One of CAFCs triers.
  • Options
    The Bulgarian Beckham
  • Options
    Retired now.
  • Options
    Legend seriously overstates his performance when put alongside Kinsella, Killer, Robbo, Rufus, Kiely etc
  • Options
    Never was a fan of Kish. admired his determination and passion. But my Nan had better ball control. He gave the ball away as many times as he won it. Couldn't pass for toffee. better at kicking players than the ball.

i'll always have the fond memory of him kicking Ronaldo into the air... but that's about it.
  • Options
    Thought he had better vision than the players around him at the time hence the the ball been given away as mentioned above.Will certainly go down as one of my favourite players to wear a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    Dont think Kish had better vision than the likes of Danny Murphy, Claus Jensen, Scott Parker and Alexei Smertin to be honest!
  • Options
    On his day he was superb, i remember his best performance was when we beat Aston Villa 3-0 in 2004.

That guy we bought for 2.6m played and scored twice that day.
  • Options
    Stebo said:

Never was a fan of Kish. admired his determination and passion. But my Nan had better ball control. He gave the ball away as many times as he won it. Couldn't pass for toffee. better at kicking players than the ball.

i'll always have the fond memory of him kicking Ronaldo into the air... but that's about it.

This, he was never Prem standard, Championship at best, I was not a fan but he gave what limited ability he had for the team. I hope he enjoys his retirement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those doubters of just how good a Premiership player Kishishev was I would look at just how often Alan Curbishley picked him.
  • Options

For those doubters of just how good a Premiership player Kishishev was I would look at just how often Alan Curbishley picked him.

Its all about opinions SHG, and maybe we didn't have anyone better. I don't remember Lord Llewellyn always getting it right!
  • Options
    He was definitely a Premiership player. Like ShootersHillGuru says, Curbs didn't pick him that regularly for no reason.

Though the best performance I have ever seen at a live game was Christiano Ronaldo's 4th game for Man United, which was at The Valley. He was up against Kish that day and absolutely tore him to shreds with his skill.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Where's Len Glover when you need him ......?

Len, tell the philistines what they could not see.

;o)
  • Options
    I loved the bloke and if you take wages and transfer fees into account he was probably our best value top tier player in the modern era.

As for those saying he had no quality are they the same people that eulogised Semedo and Racon?

Remind me what a 36 year old Kish did to those two playing for Brighton at The Valley!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I loved the bloke and if you take wages and transfer fees into account he was probably our best value top tier player in the modern era.

As for those saying he had no quality are they the same people that eulogised Semedo and Racon?

Remind me what a 36 year old Kish did to those two playing for Brighton at The Valley!

Great post Len.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Good shout Len, thanks for confirming he wasn't Prem Class! ;o)
  • Options
    Big fan of his, might not of been the best player i have seen in that postion in a Charlton shirt but he was a hard worker and a character of the game(in a good sense) so i will always remember him fondly from are premiership years.

Plus dont forget how many times he one us the top trumps contest in the programme one season with number of Bulgarians.(dont think im making that up)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Greenie said:

LenGlover said:

Good shout Len, thanks for confirming he wasn't Prem Class! ;o)
    He wasn't at 36 but you don't play 200 games for a Premiership Club, most under Alan Curbishley, if you haven't got something about you.

I remember a home game against Everton. Thomas Graveson was on fire at the time, Everton were doing well and the big 4 were sniffing around.

Curbs stuck Kish on Graveson, he didn't get a kick and we won 2-0.

There were many other similar occasions too.

Nothing glamorous, nothing fancy but the job was done and 3 points to The Addicks.

Thanks Kish.
  • Options

Big fan of his, might not of been the best player i have seen in that postion in a Charlton shirt but he was a hard worker and a character of the game(in a good sense) so i will always remember him fondly from are premiership years.

Plus dont forget how many times he one us the top trumps contest in the programme one season with number of Bulgarians.(dont think im making that up)

Yes that was in the programme
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes that was in the programme
    Thanks, i thought so but sometimes you wonder if your mind plays tricks on you, great days.
  • Options
    Len, I think we've been here before, you thought he was prem class, I didnt. I wont change your mind you wont change mine. He broke play up now and again but to be prem class you have to be able to distribute the ball well, he couldn't accurately pass 10 yards. Before the boring snide merchants get stuck in to me, Kish played for the club with passion and heart, I would have had him back here in League 1 or if he was 5 years younger for us this season. I wish the guy well.
  • Options
    I loved him. No matter how many times he lost the ball he'd run all over the pitch to get it back. A real 110%er.
  • Options
    Remember when Lawrie McMenemy was manager at Southampton - incredibly, they had finished runners up in the top division.

When asked how he'd made his totally unfancied team so successful, he replied:
    "Every team needs 9 virtuoso players and 2 road sweepers".

Well, Kish might well have been one of our 'roadsweepers', but he provided the platform for our virtuosos to perform.

• Options
    The most honest of toilers, but hardly a CAFC legend. He had two good spells, when he played wing back in a five, and then at the centre of the five man midfield with Murphy and Smertin etc.

However, towards the end of his career I became convinced he was colour blind, the number of times he gave the ball away. I always thought that Brighton game showed what a mess we were in, as everybody knew if you pressured Kish he would spray it left, right and centre. Instead we stood off him like he was Franz Beckenbauer or something.

• Options
    Some aspects of his game were very good indeed and others were clearly below standard.....but the things he did do well were terrific....i.e. screwing up the oppo midfield time and time again and making a bloody nuisance of himself for the full 90 mins, he never slacked.
    Every good side has a spoiler like Kish (Nobby Stiles anyone?), he was ours and he wore the shirt with honour.
    Liked him very much.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    179 Premiership games for us. Can't believe some posters are criticising him. Never gave less than 100% and never hid. Not a Charlton legend but instrumental in the best Charlton side any of us have ever seen.
  • Options
    He's a legend in my eyes for being so divisive.
  • Options
    Marmite player and I loved him. Fans talk about our club and when Kish was with us I believe he thought it was his club.
  • Options
    He's not a legend...He's a 'cult hero' type for me.