Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next CAStrust Meeting Thursday 9th August 7pm (venue likely to be Beehive New Eltham)

Comments

• Options
    I was hoping I might get to this one, but still at work in Notts......and will be till 6 pm.....sorry guys but I wish you all well.
  • Options
    Another good meeting, with steady progress

We debated and then decided on a membership strategy which will become clearer when we launch.

As a very important first part of this you can now show your support for the Trust by signing up to our mailing list subscribe@castrust.org. I would strongly encourage everyone who voiced support for the Trust over the last month or so to sign up to this, in the first stage of building our support.

We also had a good debate on sustainable football. Many thanks to Prague and other newbies for coming along and broadening the debate etc. The meeting then broke to a more social feel as we headed to the bar to watch the 200m final, and an answer to the question on a certain forum (not CL) was answered about what happens after the Chair gets to the bar.. namely I show what a lightweight I am.

;)

I hope to continue firming up the working group which will become the interim executive that will be endorsed at launch, and will then carry us to the first AGM. As well as forming our press strategy.

Next meeting provisionally 23rd August - depending on availability of Supporters Direct representative who I hope will attend and be the focus of the meeting (venue tbc).

I am looking for a generous and gifted web designer who can take on our website (for free of course) the current one is one I knocked up on weebly.

Please email me direct enq@castrust.org if interested

Please also like our facebook.com/castrust page, follow our twitter @castrust too

Thanks for your continued support

BR - interim Chair
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    SE10Addick seems to be a very talented website designer. Might be worth an inbox message

Meanwhile Portsmouth's trust has agreed a £1.45m loan from the local council to buy the club and Fratton park.

The Trust has pledges of £3m with £1m on deposit. S

It's up to the administrators to decide whether to sell to PST or to one of the former owners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19183904
  • Options
    Very interesting and relevant news about Pompey, Henry.
  • Options
    Out of interest what is the amount you are looking for people to put in ? Being in a recession do you think this is a priority.
  • Options
    about a million each..

all will be revealed at Launch, but feel free to offer suggestions, and do/offer market research
  • Options
    CAFC apparently has about 10,000 season ticket holders.

If, somehow, they could run to £100 each for a Supporters' Trust that would be £1,000,000.

A bit of potential leverage there for negotiation with any board of directors i'd have thought.

If non-season ticket holders were to chip in too even more could be raised.

There is definitely potential but will apathy reign I wonder?
  • Options
    Well done to all concerned and will of course sign up to the mailing list and send a mailshot to NWKA members urging them to get involved too.

Regarding membership, I have to say that £400 for my family's fees is a definite no from me. Think you're forgetting that times are still tough out there and however much I appreciate the necessity and importance of setting up the Trust , that's a ridiculous amount to pledge....and would probably alienate a lot of supporters from the start.

IMHO I would go for a staggered set of fees eg £15 adults , £10 seniors, £5 under 18's. Those of us on a pension have to look to future years as well as the present which is becoming increasingly difficult with such low interest rates on our savings. Annd under 18's, well , the fee I suggest speaks for itself....
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this. I think it would be a good idea to have no set fee for our first season. We could canvas before the games and collect nominal fees, with £1 being the minimum, we could use this time to speak to fans, spread our messages and collect names for the mailing list. Then next season have a flat fee of £10 per person. I think it's highly unlikey we're going to be able to raise funds we'd need to get the club talking to us. We need to play the numbers game, without out us(the fans) CAFC doesn't exist.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this. I think it would be a good idea to have no set fee for our first season. We could canvas before the games and collect nominal fees, with £1 being the minimum, we could use this time to speak to fans, spread our messages and collect names for the mailing list. Then next season have a flat fee of £10 per person. I think it's highly unlikey we're going to be able to raise funds we'd need to get the club talking to us. We need to play the numbers game, without out us(the fans) CAFC doesn't exist.
    Points taken, Poplcon but having leafletted before home games in the past when the SD was up for "grabs" and taken votes for POTY for the past 2 seasons, don't underestimate the time it takes to talk to supporters who, in the main , just want to get into their seats/have a drink before ko. This would also require LOTS of volunteers who would need to be totally clued up about the Trust as once approached, most fans will have questions which they need to be answered.

I have suggested in the past that a leaflet be produced which clearly & concisely states the background, aims, personnel involved at this stage for any contact/queries plus any other relevant information . There would be numerous volunteers, I assume, to hand out these and would ensure that the maximum number of supporters are informed about the Trust with minimal work involved. We need to get the message across as quickly and effectively as possible without resorting entirely to those with interent access...

And maybe there is someone out there who would be able to get the leaflets produced & printed at minimal cost ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you set a flat fee of £100 you are going to alienate a large percentage of your potential members. I wouldn't pay that.

Make it a minimum of £10.00 and a maximum of whatever people want.
  • Options
    At the meeting there was no notion that a fee of £100 would be appropriate at all. It might be worth knowing that a trust has to lodge (somewhere, not sure of the actual details) £1 for every member signed up. Free formal membership would need that quid per person from somewhere or another.
    It could be that Fannys suggestion is the closest to eventual reality, but such decisions depend on all of us being involved and having their say, and indeed a minimum is likely with of course no maximum if people are enthused enough.
    Anyway, no point in getting ahead of ourselves with regard to actual membership subs, lets get the groundswell going as best we can. Speaking as one (like Popicon) who has been to all of the meetings of the current initiative, knowing that there are others who support the initiative too is very encouraging.
  • Options
    Don't believe anyone that feels the Trust is worthwhile would baulk at a basic £1pp initial "fee". It's more what is the best way to go about "signing people up" and getting their initial quid...

The ideal, IMHO would be to have several volunteers in situ somwhere ( Lib or Cons Club?) to take names & contact details and the £1 s once the basic leafletting/information has been done.
  • Options
    I'm intrigued whether this is a Charlton Life trust.This has come about after rumours posted on here.I have spoken to two different season ticket holders who don't use this forum. Neither on them had heard of any problems and the subsequent trust proposal.
  • Options
    I'm intrigued whether this is a Charlton Life trust.This has come about after rumours posted on here.I have spoken to two different season ticket holders who don't use this forum. Neither on them had heard of any problems and the subsequent trust proposal.
  • Options
    Can we not get something on the OS?
    If they say no then all the more reason to have one.
  • Options

Like every snowball, it has to begin life somewhere. This is 100% not a Charlton Life trust. Many of the people who have attended these meetings have never met before, please bear that in mind.
  • Options

This is not proposed to be a Charlton Life trust, but several of the members of the working parties that have attended the meetings are posters on here.
    ( that includes me for one)
    The point you raise is very vaild, and the trust will obviously announce to a wide audience, across a variety of social media and Charlton fan groups, and press which hopefully they will support the aims and constructive ideas to secure Charlton's long term future as a supporters trust. As razzle has already mentioned we have to essentially incorporate/formulate the trust, which the members are in the process of doing, which is a legal procedure. In the meantime please attend the meetings, or propose suggestions. By the way the definition of your word intrigued means.....
    a. A secret or underhand scheme; a plot.
    b. The practice of or involvement in such schemes.
    2. A clandestine love affair.
    I can assure you that a and b are not the intention, and 2: I am open to persuassion........ but only with the opposite sex, ( joke!)

• Options
    In my mind there is no scope for a £100 minimum subscription p/a, I don't envisage it being anything like that at all and I'd hate for people to get that impression and be put off.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Steve, let's be clear about this. 99% of Charlton fans who participate on internet forums will have a log on on here.

This Trust attempt is completely independent from Charlton Life. One of the key reasons I'm not getting fully involved is if it is to succeed it needs to do so as a.complete independent body. Hopefully to do so it will see people from here, from other supporters groups, and other people currently connected with no existing body to take it forward.

I genuinely wish them all the best and here at CL we will do everything we can to assist them.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012
    We have web presence on around 7 different forums and groups. We have facebook, twitter, website, blog, and mailing list subscription just launched which is rapidly growing, and we haven't actually formally launched yet, as afka says the most popular sites will be inhabited by the most web active fans its the modern age - this isn't a CL trust sorry to disappoint.

£10-15 is more likely to be any membership fee, we strongly considered not charging at all. However various arguments were made against free membership and the need to cover basic operating costs while on the other hand we need to achieve high levels of support, would we be taken that serious if membership had no monetary sacrifice at all? If we need at some stage to raise funds above that we will campaign for them. We are seeking to represent the fans at the moment not buy the club.

I welcome all discussions on the trust, altho i prefer people to come to meetings and participate directly as much as possible. There is a lot of information out there and more to be learned.

For my part I believe Trusts can achieve if dedicated creative people who are unwilling to take no for an answer give what they can to making it a success. So by all means critique anything you read or hear it's a conversation at this stage and important to scrutinize; at the same time we who want the Charlton Supporters Trust to succeed should put our energies into properly researching and bringing ideas new and old to the table.

Cheers

BR

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Once again I seem to have unintentionally caused controversy!

Nowhere did I suggest a subscription of £100! The phrase "if, somehow," that I used hardly does that!

I just tried to illustrate the potential financial clout that might be generated by a Charlton Trust.

For the record if it was me I would have a nominal annual subscription of (say) £5 for kids and old gits £10 for others and a further voluntary donation category which enables those who can to give more should they wish.

Just my opinion though.

• Options
    Will there be Corporate, Lifetime and Family membership categories?

• Options
    Possibly of some kind, we'll look at all aspects of this so do keep the questions coming.
  • Options
    Don't go in for lifetime membership as it often doesn't add value to the organisation, best to keep it all simple student, adult and senior citizens plus corporate...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
  • Options
    "£5 for kids and old gits £10 "

Thanks Len !!

;-)
  • Options
    razil said:

This is what Supporters Direct say

http://www.supporters-direct.coop/pages/?p=3194

Razil - that is about an email platform/ membership database system - it has nothing to do with what the Trust might charge as its own membership fees.

Before you decide what you charge, you will need to work out what income you need - are you just looking to cover costs initially, with a view to having a platform ready to fund raise for the club should that become necessary, or do you want to build up a bit of a war chest to provide a bargaining tool with the club and give the Trust credibility? I can see pros and cons in either approach, but how you'd go about them would be very different. I do have some experience in the area of pricing and memberships, but I am based in Glasgow, so not readily available to attend midweek meetings. I will sign up with the Trust and then perhaps you can let me know if I can help at all.

All the best in the meantime.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Weegie, From that same Supporters Direct website

How much does it cost to become a member?

That's something for each trust to decide. The sensible advice is not to see membership subscription as a way of raising revenue, and we won't work with a group that sets a subscription rate that we think is too high and will stop some fans joining. But ultimately, you have to set a subscription rate that at least covers the admin costs. As a basic rule of thumb, we recommend around £10.

Anything too high and your ability to get members is seriously affected; a big membership brings strength in itself, by virtue of having a lot of supporters represented. Those who can afford to contribute more still can through fundraising, but anyone should be able to afford to join.
  • Options
    sorry will correct shortly
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!