Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Badger deterrent

I have badgers in my garden making a right mess - so far shifted a tonne of chalk onto my lawn.
Does any one know of any legal deterrents - as apparently they are cute and sweet and protected.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Firstly............. cute and sweet they most certainly aint they are spiteful little beggars!! Though I heartily agree they should be fully protected.
    There are some electronic audio devices that send out high pitched sound waves (not audible to us humans) that are supposed to do the trick, they also work well with foxes and cats. However, if you have pets of your own they won't like them one little bit.
  • Sounds like you might have a sett near you croydonaddick. Protected they may be but the govt still wants to kill thousands of them on behalf of the NFU lobby despite the scientific evidence to the contrary.

I've given a little bit of time for the Badger Trust in the past, they are only a little charity that is currently posing an expensive legal challenge to the Govt. I can give you an email addy to contact and/or I'll ask in the office tomorrow if there is any volunteers local who might be able to help you out with some info. Alternatively leave a message on Facebook or Twitter as that is checked frequently. Thank you for posting the correct link BFR.
  • edited July 2012
    You could buy an ultrasonic badger/fox deterent, but they will only detere the odd visiting badger. If they have a sett on your property there's not much you can do. Some people decide to apply for a licence to remove offending animals, but you need to have a very good reason to do this.

Beware though because if you interfere with the badgers or their setts in any way, you can be prosecuted.
  • Please Croydon, explore all avenues available for sorting out your problem in a humane manner. Badgers are beautiful animals, shame you can't find a way to accept them but I fully understand why you want rid. Good luck.
  • Point them in the direction of Sellout Park, croydonaddick !
  • Only deterrant is a 12 bore.

Humane as well.

Little bastards spreading Bovine TB like there's no tomorrow.
  • Not sure why but the title of this thread just sounds a bit rude to me !
  • Check the crumpet thread.

There's no getting rid of them at the moment. When the sun comes out so does the badger.
  • Not sure why but the title of this thread just sounds a bit rude to me !

Really?
  • Sponsored links:

• I have been told that a liberal sprinkling of Jeyes fluid around the garden works well.
  • delroofer said:

I have been told that a liberal sprinkling fluid around the garden works well.

it would make me run a mile

• Show 'em a good old-fashioned shaving brush.
  • Addickted said:

Only deterrant is a 12 bore.

Humane as well.

Little bastards spreading Bovine TB like there's no tomorrow.

Or a spade and a couple of good terriers!

; )
  • Seriously? An animal that is territorial and can live generation after generation in the same sett is somehow solely guilty of 'spreading' the disease? For goodness sake, don't let science led fact and figures cloud your judgment on this issue otherwise you'd be really confused.
  • EGAddick said:

Seriously? An animal that is territorial and can live generation after generation in the same sett is somehow solely guilty of 'spreading' the disease? For goodness sake, don't let science led fact and figures cloud your judgment on this issue otherwise you'd be really confused.

this
  • There's a clue in the name isn't there? BOVINE. The only reason Badgers caught it in the first place was because of poor farming practices. I expect the farmers were all out shooting something or filling in EU subsidy forms rather than looking after their livestock properly.
    Shame farmers haven't funded the research into effective vaccines rather than pissing their EU subsidies on new Land Rovers.
  • edited July 2012
    cafcfan said:

There's a clue in the name isn't there? BOVINE. The only reason Badgers caught it in the first place was because of poor farming practices. I expect the farmers were all out shooting something or filling in EU subsidy forms rather than looking after their livestock properly.
    Shame farmers haven't funded the research into effective vaccines rather than pissing their EU subsidies on new Land Rovers.

I'm not interested in getting into the bovine tb debate, but on the other points you make re. farmers, Wtf are you on about?
  • Okay, Rob, I'll explain. The problem is almost solely down to bad husbandry. Back in the 1970s Bovine TB had all but been eradicated. But because farmers couldn't be arsed to pay for annual testing of cattle or deal with dietary deficiency issues, it came back big time. There are 9mn cattle and a quarter of a million badgers - what do you think is the most likely source of new cases of bTB? Also, if badgers are to blame for bTB why are there cases of the disease on the Isle of Man when there are no badgers there?
    Cattle are fed on maize which lacks an essential mineral, selenium, which is necessary for the immune system to operate effectively. Farmers who have bothered to use a mineral supplement have found that their cattle are all fit and healthy.
    My point is that farmers brought this issue on themselves but it's very convenient for them to blame something else especially when it's something that can't fight back AND you get EU compensation for livestock that is destroyed.
  • edited July 2012
    The reason there is Bovine TB on the IOM is because infected cattle were introduced.
    Not only badgers transmit it.....so where did the cattle that were infected on the main land get it from, other cattle or badgers....who knows?
    So the fact that there are no badgers in the IOM is something of a red herring.

• Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

Okay, Rob, I'll explain. The problem is almost solely down to bad husbandry. Back in the 1970s Bovine TB had all but been eradicated. But because farmers couldn't be arsed to pay for annual testing of cattle or deal with dietary deficiency issues, it came back big time. There are 9mn cattle and a quarter of a million badgers - what do you think is the most likely source of new cases of bTB? Also, if badgers are to blame for bTB why are there cases of the disease on the Isle of Man when there are no badgers there?
    Cattle are fed on maize which lacks an essential mineral, selenium, which is necessary for the immune system to operate effectively. Farmers who have bothered to use a mineral supplement have found that their cattle are all fit and healthy.
    My point is that farmers brought this issue on themselves but it's very convenient for them to blame something else especially when it's something that can't fight back AND you get EU compensation for livestock that is destroyed.

Wind you neck in lad, you'll make yourself ill. Like I said, I'm not interested in bovine tb and where it came from or how it's spread. Just your points about farmers being too busy shooting something or filling out EU subsidy forms so they can buy a new motor, instead of look after their livestock. There are some farmers who work a normal 14-16 hour day, drive an old beaten up 4x4, lose a few cattle to tb and DON'T blame badgers for it!
  • Rob, my neck is not actually out but you seem to be getting a tad hysterical otherwise you might have noticed that while you may not be interested in one aspect it is very difficult to separate the various issues because they are not mutually exclusive.
  • So can I get this right. There are no badgers or red herrings on the IOM ?
  • So can I get this right. There are no badgers or red herrings on the IOM ?

LOL.....new someone was going to say that!

• cafcfan said:

Rob, my neck is not actually out but you seem to be getting a tad hysterical otherwise you might have noticed that while you may not be interested in one aspect it is very difficult to separate the various issues because they are not mutually exclusive.

Hysterical? Okay.

So you literally think that bovine tb is spread because farmers are too busy filling in EU forms for subsidies to buy brand new Land Rovers, or shooting something? You should contact DEFRA right away with your theory, I'm sure it'll be a new one to them!
  • edited July 2012
    BIG_ROB said:

So you literally think that bovine tb is spread because farmers are too busy filling in EU forms for subsidies to buy brand new Land Rovers, or shooting something?

Where did the word `literally' come from Rob? `cafcfan' never used it but you appear to have intoduced it all by yourself....naughty lad!

`cafcfan' gave this as a more detailed statement:
    cafcfan said:

Okay, Rob, I'll explain. The problem is almost solely down to bad husbandry. Back in the 1970s Bovine TB had all but been eradicated. But because farmers couldn't be arsed to pay for annual testing of cattle or deal with dietary deficiency issues, it came back big time. There are 9mn cattle and a quarter of a million badgers - what do you think is the most likely source of new cases of bTB? Also, if badgers are to blame for bTB why are there cases of the disease on the Isle of Man when there are no badgers there?

Now that sounds pretty informed to me....so what bits are you struggling with?

May I also state for the record my neck is also `in' as I type this...and it definately won't make me ill ok ;P

• Who are you he's back-up?

What I'm struggling with though is the sweeping genaralisation that cafcfan makes that farmers are too busy scrounging off of Europe and shooting things to look after their livestock and Our countryside. I've not questioned anything else that your chum has stated.

• In the meantime how are your badgers doing Croydon?
  • We've had them for a few years dave, not much happens for a while and then suddenly you have a new massive pile of chalk appear overnight. It usually takes me about three days to get rid of it, how they move it in one night amazes me.

Thanks for the suggestions, will look at trying a few, unfortunately I have trwo cats so the sound gadgets are a non starter. Although I am fed up to the back teeth with them I wouldnt ever intentionally hurt any of them, so anyone who has worries on that score can be reassured
    Cheers all
  • Get a staffs bull terrier