Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

the five albums in your life

13»

Comments

• 1. The first one you really got into - Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral.

2. The one you can go back to again and again - Deftones - Around The Fur.

3. The one that makes you sad - Beck - Sea Change.

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard. - Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking.

5. The one you really like but not many of your friends do - Anything by Primus.
  • 1. The first one you really got into - Muse-Absolution

2. The one you can go back to again and again - The Stranglers-The Raven

3. The one that makes you sad - Gary Numan-Pure

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard. - The Bravery-The Bravery

5. The one you really like but not many of your friends do - Kasabian-Velociraptor
  • Todays selection!
    1. The first one you really got into - John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers 'beano' album.
    2. The one you can go back to again and again - Led Zeppelin One
    3. The one that makes you sad - Grace Jeff Buckley (sad, but great too)
    4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard. - Motown Chartbusters Volume Three
    5. The one you really like but not many of your friends do - Never Never Land (or any thing else by them!) The Pink Fairies
  • edited July 2012
    1. The first one you really got into
    Tough one, as I was generally more into books than music as a kid (or at least that was what I spent my money on), and was generally happy listening to the radio or what ever my Dad or sister put on. The first album I can remember playing all the time was "Standing On A Beach" by The Cure, which is an early singles and B-sides collection .

2. The one you can go back to again and again
    Mitch Benn and The Distractions - Too Late To Cancel. OK, so it's a comedy album, but given the wide variety of styles there's always something on there I'm in the mood to sing along to. And it's always guaranteed to make me laugh.

3. The one that makes you sad
    Kirsty MacColl - Tropical Brainstorm. Both because of the fact it was her last album before she died, and personal associations to certain tracks.

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard.
    Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation. Reminds me of one of my mates at college trying to teach me to jive using some of the tracks on this (he wasn't very successful)

5. The one you really like but not many of your friends do
    Ella Fitzgerald - Sings The Rodgers and Hart Songbook.
    Most of my friends aren't that keen on showtunes, but there are some really witty lyrics (and the occasional attrocious pun) in the songs, and I love the performance and musical arrangements.
  • 1 peter gabriel
    2 astral weeks, van
    3 blue, joni
    4 bless the weather, john martyn
    5 kind of blue, miles davis
  • 5. A Certain Trigger - Maximo Park
    That album is absolutely brilliant. Tell your mates they need to get a grip.
  • First - The Wall - Pink Floyd

Go back to - Gag - Fad Gadget

Sad - Murder Ballads - Nick Cave

Memories - Happy Families - Blancmange

No one else - Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa
  • 1. Green Day - American Idiot

2. Reuben - Any album. But Very Fast Very Dangerous if i had to choose.

3. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

4. Beach Boys album, not a particular one but Dad always used to play it in the car on summer holidays

5. Robbie Williams - Swing When You're Winning
  • 1. The first one you really got into - Manic Street Preachers - This is my Truth now Tell me yours

2. The one you can go back to again and again - Talking Heads - Fear of Music

3. The one that makes you sad - Pink Floyd - Wish you Were Here

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard - Silversun Pickups - Swoon

5. the one you really like but not many of your friends do - Tonstartssbandht - An When
  • 1. The first one you really got into -- Wichita Lineman - Glenn Campbell (my dad used to play this all the time on his state of the art (circa 1976) stereo.

2. The one you can go back to again and again -- Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds (never ever tire of listening to this)

3. The one that makes you sad -- Ride - Nowhere (listened to this a lot as a young 20 year old while my world fell apart)

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard -- Stone Roses - Stone Roses I was right in the epicentre of "Madchester" living in placers like Longsight/Fallowfield/Moss Side, saw them in the build up to this being released, went to Spike Island etc - don't care what people say about his voice it's a great album

5. the one you really like but not many of your friends do -- Sleep - Dopesmoker (my wife hates it)
  • Sponsored links:

• 1. the strokes - is this it?
    2. the cribs - the new fellas
    3. the cure - disintergration
    4. the killers - hot fuss
    5. my chemical romance - black parade
  • 5. A Certain Trigger - Maximo Park
    That album is absolutely brilliant. Tell your mates they need to get a grip.
    Agreed! My mates are all into the same sort of music as me but for some reason none of them have ever bought into this album and I have no idea why!

'Falcon' by The Courteeners is another one I love but no-one else seems to appreciate. Great album.
  • )

Lawd love a duck, am I the only one who likes classical?
    OK, as I have a bit of time on my hands, here's my classical version.

First album I really got into: Gabriel Faure requiem (King's College version)
    Album I can go back to again and again: Antonin Dvorak Symphony No 8 (Istvan Kertesz, LSO)
    The one that makes me sad: Handel - Solomon (John Eliot Gardiner etc)
    Happy memories of first hearing: Mozart - Great mass in C minor (Gabrieli Consort, Paul McCreesh)
    The one I really like that none of my friends do: Rodrigo - Concerto de Aranjuaz (Julian Bream, Simon Rattle) (but pretty much anything vaguely classical would have done)

Saw Julian Bream in concert many years ago and realised I'd got it all wrong - he turned up with a guitar in a case and a stool... Concert finished at 9:30, he put the guitar back in the case, picked up the stool and I saw him leaving while I was waiting for my mate who'd gone to the loo. I don't do many gigs but mine go like this: Turn up hours early with at least 2 guitars in cases, a bag of leads and effects and a fcuking great big amp. Set up, soundcheck, play gig which finishes at 11:00, pack up my gear, help with the other equipment (drums, PA, etc) and eventually leave at about midnight!

Bream was stunning, by the way - the different tones he got out of that guitar were unbelievable.
  • )

Album I can go back to again and again: Antonin Dvorak Symphony No 8 (Istvan Kertesz, LSO)
    Happy memories of first hearing: Mozart - Great mass in C minor (Gabrieli Consort, Paul McCreesh)
    The one I really like that none of my friends do: Rodrigo - Concerto de Aranjuaz (Julian Bream, Simon Rattle) (but pretty much anything vaguely classical would have done)

Saw Julian Bream in concert many years ago and realised I'd got it all wrong - he turned up with a guitar in a case and a stool... Concert finished at 9:30, he put the guitar back in the case, picked up the stool and I saw him leaving while I was waiting for my mate who'd gone to the loo. I don't do many gigs but mine go like this: Turn up hours early with at least 2 guitars in cases, a bag of leads and effects and a fcuking great big amp. Set up, soundcheck, play gig which finishes at 11:00, pack up my gear, help with the other equipment (drums, PA, etc) and eventually leave at about midnight!

Bream was stunning, by the way - the different tones he got out of that guitar were unbelievable.
    Yes but did he play Rockin all Over the World? ;o)
  • 1 The Who - My Generation
    2 Pink Floyd - The Wall
    3 Dido - Life for rent
    4 Paul Simon - Graceland
    5 Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S

• 1. Electric Ladyland :Hendrix
    2. Band of Gypses: Hendrix
    3. Blue: Joni Mitchell
    4. Bryter later: Nick Drake
    5. On the Boards: Taste/Rory Gallgher.
    I tend to listen to bootlegs and Led Zep, Free, and Cream tend to be what I listen to, with Hendrix and Rory
    I have all of these in my record collection.
    If you ever want to sell them let me know........

• )

Yes but did he play Rockin all Over the World? ;o)
    Ah, you've got a point, because I have been known to play that little ditty.