Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

the five albums in your life

Comments

• Lincsaddick said:

My cousin's husband is a total Rundgren FREAK. He's been to TR's house in Hawaii, a special camp for TR's 60th birthday, he has every single recorded song, word and deed of TR's and named his son (my second cousin) after Todd Rundgren and Lowell George (i.e. Todd Lowell). Other than that, Brad is quite normal !! .. As for me, Lowell George I get, Todd .... mmmmm !

Lincs I love Lowell George great slide guitarist and singer. I have been addicted to Little Feat for years Richie Heywood is one of my favourite drummers and in fact saw him play with Clapton at the aforementioned Albert Hall concert. So underrated
  • Lincsaddick said:

My cousin's husband is a total Rundgren FREAK. He's been to TR's house in Hawaii, a special camp for TR's 60th birthday, he has every single recorded song, word and deed of TR's and named his son (my second cousin) after Todd Rundgren and Lowell George (i.e. Todd Lowell). Other than that, Brad is quite normal !! .. As for me, Lowell George I get, Todd .... mmmmm !

Lincs I love Lowell George great slide guitarist and singer. I have been addicted to Little Feat for years Richie Heywood is one of my favourite drummers and in fact saw him play with Clapton at the aforementioned Albert Hall concert. So underrated
    Richie of course died not so long ago and Lowell didn't make it to old age .. 'It's those rock n roll hours that give you graves without flowers' ... Little Feat, especially the early, raw albums .. absolutely superb .. Strawberry Flats boy and Snakes on Everything
  • I can do number 5 right now. Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, A True Star. No matter how much I bang on about the brilliance of this album, no one l know likes it or gets it. In fact, no one else I know likes Todd Rundgren.
    I have seen Todd Rundgren live on a number of occasions,i like him.

Another Rundgren fan on CL. Brilliant, mate. I've seen him a number of times too, most recently twice at the Jazz Cafe last October. Have you got much of his stuff? One of the great white soul voices, in my very humble opinion.

• didn't Todd Rungren produce an early Hall and Oates album ? there is some good stuff on that as i recall .War Babies ?
    Quite correct, Sir. Rundgren did produce War Babies. He also handled backing vocals and lead guitar and two members of his side project Utopia played on it, too (although, admittedly drummer Willie Wilcox hadn't joined Utopia at that point). He also produced the first New York Dolls album, Patti Smith's Wave and Bat Out Of Hell, among others.
  • Lincsaddick said:

Now he sounds like my sort of bloke. And, yes, I too have absolutely everything the Todd's ever recorded (Nazz, solo stuff, Utopia), plus tons and tons of, shall we say, grey market live recordings.

• Lincsaddick said:

Now he sounds like my sort of bloke. And, yes, I too have absolutely everything Todd's ever recorded (Nazz, solo stuff, Utopia), plus tons and tons of, shall we say, grey market live recordings.

• 1, Red Rose Speedway - Wings (Although this was released only a few months after I was born I discovered it in my dads record collection as a teenager. I could easily have picked any Beatles album).
    2, Together Alone - Crowded House (Never get tired of this album. Quality from start to finish).
    3, Let it Be - The Beatles (The music, era and the fact my dad lived the Beatles just does me in).
    4, There is Nothing Left to Lose - Foo Fighters (Big Foo Fighters fan - lost count of the number of times the wife and I have seen them in concert - their albums are the soundtrack to our marriage).
    5, Peter Gabriel 1 - Peter Gabriel (Contains my favourite song of all time Solsbury Hill but also a classy album from first to last).
  • Lincsaddick said:

Now he sounds like my sort of bloke. And, yes, I too have absolutely everything Todd's ever recorded (Nazz, solo stuff, Utopia), plus tons and tons of, shall we say, grey market live recordings.

You may well know him. He was, of course, at the Jazz Café gigs .. I'll ask him if he wants to get in touch with you. I am sure you'd have a LOT of notes to swap.

• 1. Japan - Quiet Life

2. The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge

3. Closer - Joy Division

4. The La's album

5. The Waterboys - This Is The Sea
  • got to add The life pursuit by Belle and Sebatian onto my answer of number 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• First - Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

Go back to - The Band - The Band

Sad - Blue - Joni Mitchell

Memories - The Clash - The Clash

No one else - Paris 1919 - John Cale
  • edited July 2012
    1) Queen, Queen.
    2) The Clash,The Clash.
    3) Tapestry, Carol King.
    4) Bollocks, Pistols.
    5) Carry On Oi, Various.

(although, this list will change by the hour.......)
  • aftermath - rolling stones
    solid air - john martyn
    august and everything after - counting crows
    astral weeks - van morrison
    tiny cities - sun kil moon
  • First - S&G, Bridge Over Troubled Water

Go back to - Beatles, White Album

Sad - Mountain Goats, Tallahassee

Memories - Clash, London Calling (there's a lot of people of a certain age on here)

No one else - Last Exit, Last Exit. Actually most of my mates have never heard it. I don't listen to it much myself unless I need something to really clear my sinuses.

• 1. Labour of Love ii - UB40

2. Up The Bracket - The Libertines

3. Grace - Jeff Buckley

4. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

5. Musicality - Salako
  • AC/DC - If You Want Blood You Got It
    Was about 9 and my mate played me his older brother's copy. Was blown away! Begged my mum to buy me my own copy, still have it, still play it.

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    Came out when I was thirteen and now, twenty-six years later I can still listen to it with the same enthusiasm.

Benton Falls - Fighting Starlight
    Pretty much soundtracked a very turbulent time in my love life.

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
    Just reminds me of some of the happiest times of my life being young, stupid and stoned! Good times!

Lee Morgan - Sidewinder
    1963 release by phenomanol jazz trumpeteer. Or any jazz album you care to pick. My mates don't get my love for some good old hard bop or Latin jazz.
  • 1. Not an 'album' but it would be Complete Madness
    2. A Maximum High - Shed Seven
    3. No albums, just a couple of songs
    4. All Change - Cast
    5. Love it When I Feel Like This - The Twang
  • Great idea for a thread Henry.

1. The first one you really got into - Please Please Me - The Beatles

2. The one you can go back to again and again - Something else by the Kinks - The Kinks

3. The one that makes you sad - The Madcap Laughs - Syd Barrett

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard. - The Yes Album - Yes

5. the one you really like but not many of your friends do - Song Cycle - Van Dyke Parks
  • Black Sabbbath - same
    Associates - Affectionate Punch
    Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs
    The Who - Meaty Beaty big and bouncy
    Durutti Column - The return of the Durutti Column
  • Sponsored links:

• 1) The "Red & Blue" Albums - The Beatles
    2) A Trick of the Tail - Genesis
    3) Tapestry - Carole King
    4) Once upon a Time - Simple Minds
    5) Whatever you say, say nothing - Deacon Blue
    once upon a time simple minds fantastic album ,milton keynes bowl 1986 superb concert ,brings back great memories for me also.

• 1) Damned, Damned, Damned - The Damned
    2) Closer - Joy Division
    3) I Am A Bird Now - Anthony And The Johnsons
    4) The Smiths - The Smiths
    5) Strange Boutique - The Monochrome Set

• ) The Paul Simon Songbook
    2) La Boheme - Von Karajan with Freni and Pavarotti
    3) The Girl in the Other Room -Diana Krall
    4) Oklahoma - Rodgers & Hammerstein original film version
    5) Mahler Symphony #10 Simon Rattle conducting Berlin Philharmonia

Lawd love a duck, am I the only one who likes classical?
  • Stilladdicted I can go for your number 2 as well La Boheme is absolutely beautiful.......good choice
  • 1. The first one you really got into - All Mod Cons - The Jam

2. The one you can go back to again and again - Moss Elixier - Robyn Hitchcock

3. The one that makes you sad - Sleepless Nights - Gram Parsons Compilation

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard - Lysregic Emanations - The Fuzztones

5. The one you really like but not many of your friends do - Love What You Do - The Hackensaw Boys
  • 1. The first one you really got into
    REM - Automatic For The People

2. The one you can go back to again and again
    As above

3. The one that makes you sad
    Eels - Electro Shock Blues or Elliot Smith - Figure 8

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard.
    Ash - 1977

5. The one you really like but not many of your friends do
    Ben Kwell - Sha Sha
  • 1. The first one you really got into - Metallica/Ride The Lightning - As a 15 year old, I had never come across anything that was as heavy yet catchy. Soon went out and bought Master of Puppets, Load etc.

2. The one you can go back to again and again - Oasis/Whats The Story Morning Glory - So many timeless songs on there which never get dull

3. The one that makes you sad - Alice In Chains/Jar Of Flies - Very few heavy metal bands pull off acoustic or emotion as well as Alice in Chains (RIP Layne Staley)

4. The one that bring back happy memories of when you first heard. - Queen/Greatest Hits - Went out and bought this when I was 18, and it brought back so many happy memories of sitting in the car with my Dad whilst he would play Queen day in-day out

5. The one you really like but not many of your friends do - Nickelback (any of their albums - IMO one of the most underrated bands in history. Great musicians that get judged purely by their singles.
  • I've had enough of trying to work out what's going on in the Charlton Boardroom, so thought I'd turn to something a bit lighter.

First album I really got into: Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel
    Album I can go back to again and again: Hunky Dory - David Bowie
    The one that makes me sad (well, may be a bit wistful): Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John
    Happy memories of first hearing: The Yes Album - Yes
    The one I really like that none of my friends do: Mary - Mary J Blige
  • 1. Electric Ladyland :Hendrix
    2. Band of Gypses: Hendrix
    3. Blue: Joni Mitchell
    4. Bryter later: Nick Drake
    5. On the Boards: Taste/Rory Gallgher.
    I tend to listen to bootlegs and Led Zep, Free, and Cream tend to be what I listen to, with Hendrix and Rory
    I have all of these in my record collection.

• )

Lawd love a duck, am I the only one who likes classical?
    OK, as I have a bit of time on my hands, here's my classical version.

First album I really got into: Gabriel Faure requiem (King's College version)
    Album I can go back to again and again: Antonin Dvorak Symphony No 8 (Istvan Kertesz, LSO)
    The one that makes me sad: Handel - Solomon (John Eliot Gardiner etc)
    Happy memories of first hearing: Mozart - Great mass in C minor (Gabrieli Consort, Paul McCreesh)
    The one I really like that none of my friends do: Rodrigo - Concerto de Aranjuaz (Julian Bream, Simon Rattle) (but pretty much anything vaguely classical would have done)